Flat Black Paint.. White Water Spots??

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, hopefully the pros here can help me with this..

I got my hood painted flat black back in September and it seems to have grown spots.. Every time I wash it, more seem to appear so I'm assuming it's in the soap.

I use Dawn dish soap because I was told that flat black should not be waxed. I forgot that on the first two washes while using a car soap with wax already mixed in and have been using Dawn since then.. did I mess the paint up from day one?...

Here is a picture of the spots.

0E6D817A-E252-4467-BDD2-E5DA5178E07A-8410-000004E0AC24D69C.jpg

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Do you think it's the dish soap that's really doing it? I have heard it's not the best but not that it was this bad.

Before I got the paint done I asked about how to take care of it but all I basically was told was not to use wax. Nothing specific about how to keep the paint up.

Thanks for the link by the way. I will see if I can find a soap with out wax.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Stay away from dish soap. They dry out clear coat and trim, not meant for cars due to heavy alkaline contents.

From my buddy's at Dr.Beasleys

Dr. Beasleys said:
Most of the internet is afraid of matte paint – and for no reason. You may have heard us debunk some typical matte myths, but there’s one that we continue to see day in and day out: that matte paint is tough to care for. The most recent intrigue was sparked by the announcement of the 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (available in a Hyundai first matte grey). Media outlets and bloggers took to the streets claiming how much of a pain-in-the-@$$ this new matte option from Hyundai would be to care for (read more). Funny thing is, even Hyundai has fueled the flames with a precautionary pamphlet on proper care (read here). Bottom line, matte paint isn’t hard to care for and actually is significantly easier to maintain than a “regular” glossy car. We’re here to set the record straight once and for all.

Washing
Whether you have a matte car, a Gremlin, a BMW or a brand new Maybach Benz, the best car wash you’ll ever get is one that’s done by hand. A machine simply doesn’t cut it (read more). Sure, you may shorten your day by an extra 8 minutes, but your car is much better off. Automatic car washes utilize caustic chemicals to strip dirt, grease, grime, etc. Unfortunately, these chemicals also strip sealants or waxes that you’ve protected the car with – leaving the surface bare and vulnerable. Additionally, the cleaning “noodles” and twirling brushes have touched many, many cars before yours… and as you can probably see from looking, they’re not the cleanest things in the world. Other than choosing a matte car wash soap and learning how to properly wash any kind of car (learn here!), there’s nothing complicated about washing a matte car by hand.

Scratches, Swirls, & Polishing
Typically this is one of the first topics forum goers and media outlets want to cover, mostly because this is the #1 issue facing glossy cars. Unbeknownst to them (because frankly they don’t do much research), matte cars don’t get your typical swirl marks, holograms, hairline scratches, etc. You see, matte cars diffuse light that reflects off of the “flat” surface, whereas glossy cars reflect specularly (like a mirror). It’s that direct reflection that, when interrupted by a scratch, makes you notice a swirl mark or hologram. Putting two and two together, matte paint doesn’t show scratches because the surface is already diffusing light. Additionally, swirl marks are caused by machine buffers… and without having to use one, you just won’t get them. In many ways this alone makes matte paint easier to care for than glossy paint. No polishing means longer lasting factory finish, less repainting, and stronger UV protection throughout the life of the car. So while there’s a warning in regards to matte paint that says you shouldn’t polish (because it will smooth out the imperfections that make matte appear flat), you really don’t need to in the first place.

Protecting
Protecting matte paint is much easier than you think. Unlike a glossy vehicle, you can’t use any type of paste wax on matte paint (even if it says matte safe, it will fill and gradually add a gloss – read more). Because of this, protecting matte paint may seem more involved, but we’ve taken care of all the brainwork for you with our molecular bonding matte paint sealant so all you have to do is apply. Protecting matte paint is easier than a wax because Matte Paint Sealant bonds instantly using water. It can be applied immediately after a car wash in just minutes, go over emblems without chalking or leaving residues, and it bonds instantly so there’s no cure time like a wax. See for yourself how easy it is: How To Protect a Matte Car.

Bug Splats to Bird Droppings
No special concoctions needed, just matte specific cleaning products that don’t use fillers, silicones, or waxes. Much like those for a glossy car, a matte specific detail spray is perfect for removing bird droppings and bug splats that haven’t caked on the surface. Oh, and if you read and believe that you need to stop the car on the highway to remove the bugs immediately, you’re crazy. You wouldn’t do that with a normal car and there’s absolutely no reason to do that with a matte car. If they have caked on the surface, fear not. Without the use of scrubbing, Matte Paint Cleanser loosens the contaminants so that they lift off the surface without the use of abrasive cleaning. Dealing with these unpleasant surprises is no harder with a matte car than it is a glossy car – and both scenarios are simple and easy.

Body Work & Repainting
With a matte car, body work and repainting is no more confusing than a regular car. Obviously you’re not going to do it yourself, but most manufacturers and body shops can handle you no problem. They won’t charge extra, and they know what they’re doing. There are essentially 3 or 4 major paint manufacturers, and every body shop uses the same codes provided by the factory to repaint pieces of your vehicle. If you do end up getting in a fender bender or get a nice key dragged across your hood, you’ll have to repaint just like a glossy car would. The fact remains, whether you have a matte car or a glossy car, there’s no polish or polisher that can fix a scratch that has dug through the clear coat and pigment layer.

Matte paint is not hard to care for – plain and simple. There’s no reason to be afraid of matte paint, as its unique finish actually makes it much more durable and long lasting than a glossy finish. Without the need for polishing, the clear coat will stay more durable and defensive against UVs and contaminants, and so long as you remember to protect with a matte paint sealant, you’ll have no issues whatsoever. Do us a favor and next time you hear speculation in forums or on media outlets, set the record straight and help us spread the word that matte paint isn’t as scary as people are making it out to be.

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/06/13/matte-paint-made-easy/

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
So basically what I can gather from this, I need to find a Matte Paint Sealant to add after a wash in order to keep these spots from appearing? Have I messed up the paint or are these going to slowly go away after I use the sealant a few times?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
So basically what I can gather from this, I need to find a Matte Paint Sealant to add after a wash in order to keep these spots from appearing? Have I messed up the paint or are these going to slowly go away after I use the sealant a few times?

Not after every wash, but you do need to have some form of protection on there that lasts a few months.

Dish soap essentially strips everything. So when you wash with it, you're also removing it from your standard clear coat areas.

Sealant wont remove those spots either, you need to wash and clean them.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Well I guess we will see how well I can manage to take care of it. Hopefully the spots will stay away after the new wash and seal.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
ZPounds09GT:

You might have some luck using distilled or deionized water in a spray botle after you wash the hood. The dissolved solids deposited from the tap water are causing the spots so a little follow-up spritz with distilled water and a quick, light wipe with a soft (microfiber?) towel will eliminate the spots. YMMV.

HTH,

Chris

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
ZPounds09GT:

You might have some luck using distilled or deionized water in a spray botle after you wash the hood. The dissolved solids deposited from the tap water are causing the spots so a little follow-up spritz with distilled water and a quick, light wipe with a soft (microfiber?) towel will eliminate the spots. YMMV.

HTH,

Chris

Yeah I can try that. How long does the water have to sit before it's distilled?

try chemical guys, they should have everything you could possibly need.

I have heard of Chemical Guys a good bit, I think I checked out their site but can't really remember. I'll check it out again anyway.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
ZPounds09GT:

HTH,

Chris

Good advice for preventive maintenance, those spots are etched in there currently. Will require an abrasive to remove from the looks of the pictures or at least a heavier APC.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Good advice for preventive maintenance, those spots are etched in there currently. Will require an abrasive to remove from the looks of the pictures or at least a heavier APC.

They are etched in now.. I couldn't use Meguire's Ultimate Compound to get it out could I?.. What is an APC?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
They are etched in now.. I couldn't use Meguire's Ultimate Compound to get it out could I?.. What is an APC?

All purpose cleaner, you do not want to use a polish or compound on a matte paint.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
All purpose cleaner, you do not want to use a polish or compound on a matte paint.

Oh alright. Any all purpose cleaner you think is safe? Like Simple Green or something? That's what I thought, I haven't used any because I thought it would mess it up.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Oh alright. Any all purpose cleaner you think is safe? Like Simple Green or something? That's what I thought, I haven't used any because I thought it would mess it up.

Meguiars APC+, Chemical Guys APC.

Most APCs are concentrate, so you dilute them to strength.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Meguiars APC+, Chemical Guys APC.

Most APCs are concentrate, so you dilute them to strength.

Alright, thanks! Sorry if I sound a little stupid about all of this stuff, I'm definitely a novice at all of this proper detailing and the lingo that goes with it.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks! Sorry if I sound a little stupid about all of this stuff, I'm definitely a novice at all of this proper detailing and the lingo that goes with it.

Also try chemical guys citrus wash daily, put about 1oz into a 16oz spray bottle, fill the rest with water, that can be another alternative.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Good info in here... My Forgestars that are currently being made are Matte Black. I'll definitely be using this thread when it comes time to cleaning them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back