Flat Black Paint.. White Water Spots??

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
ZPounds09GT:

You can buy a gallon of distilled or deionized water at your local grocery store, or Target, or Wal-Mart. Should cost about $1.50 or less.

Check out autopia.org for detailing info. Read, read, read, before going at your paint with any products. Autopia is a pretty good site imho and, for certain, there are others but I don't know of them, lol.

There are two stickied threads at the top of this forum - tons 'o good info in them to get you started, too.

Seer:

Thanks for the additional info about water spots. I didn't realize those things were etched into the paint. Jeez, it's hard to keep a car clean! On my old car (black paint) I always followed a washing with a distilled water spritz and that kept the spots in check. I still do the same routine with the white car - spots respect no car.

Chris

Last edited:

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
ZPounds09GT:

You can buy a gallon of distilled or deionized water at your local grocery store, or Target, or Wal-Mart. Should cost about $1.50 or less.

Check out autopia.org for detailing info. Read, read, read, before going at your paint with any products. Autopia is a pretty good site imho and, for certain, there are others but I don't know of them, lol.

There are two stickied threads at the top of this forum - tons 'o good info in them to get you started, too.

Seer:

Thanks for the additional info about water spots. I didn't realize those things were etched into the paint. Jeez, it's hard to keep a car clean! On my old car (black paint) I always followed a washing with a distilled water spritz and that kept the spots in check. I still do the same routine with the white car - spots respect no car.

Chris

The thing is I always towel dry my car after a wash.. So I'm not sure how the spots formed unless it was from after rain..

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
ZPounds09GT:

I use my trusty Vac-N-Blo to get rid of most of the water and follow with a distilled water spritz and towel dry. Despite being quick with the towel, I think that there is some local evaporation and that is what causes the solids to be left behind. Maybe it's just me but I find that black paint seems to dry quicker than lighter colors. Or, maybe I'm slowing down...

Chris

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
you should always use a quick detailer/waterless wash when you are drying your car. No exceptions, this prevents swirls.

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
you should always use a quick detailer/waterless wash when you are drying your car. No exceptions, this prevents swirls.

I'm currently using the Chem Guys BL/Lava/V7 combo. So when hand drying after a routine wash I should spray some V7 on the car while it is still wet?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm currently using the Chem Guys BL/Lava/V7 combo. So when hand drying after a routine wash I should spray some V7 on the car while it is still wet?

V7 is a spray sealant, I'd go with something cheaper like optimum no rinse, in a 16oz bottle cut 15.5:.5 with distilled water.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
I gather that those are spots on your black vinyl stripes right?

If so, give Invisible Glass a shot.

Clay won't hurt it.

Only use dish soap when it is diluted and when you are trying to strip everything from the clear (usually done in preparation before a correction)

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I gather that those are spots on your black vinyl stripes right?

If so, give Invisible Glass a shot.

Clay won't hurt it.

Only use dish soap when it is diluted and when you are trying to strip everything from the clear (usually done in preparation before a correction)

They are on the matte black paint on my hood which is shown in my sig. I no longer use dish soap now by the way, I'm using a car wash without any wax or anything in it.

I was wondering about clay barring it also but wasn't sure if it would mess anything up.

Seer, if you don't mind, would you link me to a sealant safe to use, you said something about synthetic wax or something to that effect and I have seen some mentioning that but I don't want to waste money on the wrong products.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
They are on the matte black paint on my hood which is shown in my sig. I no longer use dish soap now by the way, I'm using a car wash without any wax or anything in it.

I was wondering about clay barring it also but wasn't sure if it would mess anything up.

Seer, if you don't mind, would you link me to a sealant safe to use, you said something about synthetic wax or something to that effect and I have seen some mentioning that but I don't want to waste money on the wrong products.

https://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=777&idcategory=0

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing by that article, you say that because it's not as susceptible to scratches? Claying helps remove extra dirt from the paint before a sealant is applied correct? If so, I would think it would NEED to be done to seal it properly and ensure that you don't seal over the dirt?

the type of clear coat used on a matte finish is not the same used on a standard gloss finish. The satin/matte clears do not trap dirt and contamination like a gloss clear does.

Good diligent washes is really all you need with a matte finish. Now on the rest of your car that is gloss, you take care of it as normal.

There is truly less maintenance on a matte finished car, you just need to stay away from certain products.

CaliforniaSpecial

forum member
Reaction score
V7 is a spray sealant, I'd go with something cheaper like optimum no rinse, in a 16oz bottle cut 15.5:.5 with distilled water.

Perfect, I already have some. I've kinda felt that rubbing a towel against my paint with only water on it was wrong. Appreciate the tip! :hi:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back