Floor boards

lambalrl

Reaction score
IMG_20230305_213417455.jpg IMG_20230305_213417455.jpg IMG_20230305_213432639.jpg Replacing the seat covers on my 2005 Ford Mustang and discovered rust on the rear driver's side floor boards. Going to remove the passenger's side tomorrow. Hoping their won't find any. I bought the car I'm 2012 and is not a daily driver. I did clean out the front drainage plugs a fews ago so not an issue their. No rust on the front driver's floor board. Just the back. Wondering if the previous owner had a leak? Going to take over and have repaired. I checked underneath the car and no issues.

IMG_20230305_213427118.jpg

DieHarder

Reaction score
Need to clean that off with a wire wheel and remove any sound deadening that's suspect (anything w/rust underneath). As long as it isn't rusted through it can be saved pretty easily by putting down 2-3 layers of fiberglas mat. It'll be a long term fix and no need to worry about leaks in the future though I would chase them anyway (the A-pillar seals are worthless). You can get a roll of 1/8" thick x 1" width water proof foam seal for less than $15 at a hardware store and replace it. Fairly straight forward.

Fiberglassing floorboards: https://www.s197forum.com/threads/w...he-most-difference.140239/page-3#post-2540372

Replacing A-pillar seals:

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't had that problem on my Mustang convertible but did on my wife's VW convertible. We had to take a sawsall and cut the floor out on the VW , The rust was so bad we had to replaced it with stainless steel and it was pinned into place. I didn't personally do the work so don't know what you call the pinning process. There also was a lot of wire brushing and a sealant put on the floor.

It was so bad you could see through to the ground.

Had to replace all the carpeting because of the mildew.

GriffX

Reaction score
Better use a CSD grinding wheel instead of a wire wheel, the wires can be smeared on the metal and hide rust below.
On my old Mercedes I use a sea water proof anti-rust coating in a different color than the car in hidden areas. I use green on black car, so you can see the different thickness easier. CSD + rust converter + coating

DieHarder

Reaction score
Better use a CSD grinding wheel instead of a wire wheel, the wires can be smeared on the metal and hide rust below.
On my old Mercedes I use a sea water proof anti-rust coating in a different color than the car in hidden areas. I use green on black car, so you can see the different thickness easier. CSD + rust converter + coating

Point taken. Better to get to bare metal but if not use rust converter. After that I sealed the floors in my sons car with fiberglass. Last time I checked no issues with water or rust.

GriffX

Reaction score
I use always rust converter which leaves a film for painting. It is very hard to remove all the microscopic rust pits/holes with grinding alone (and I don't have the patience for it ;) ) Never tried fiberglass, but it will come....

DieHarder

Reaction score
I use always rust converter which leaves a film for painting. It is very hard to remove all the microscopic rust pits/holes with grinding alone (and I don't have the patience for it ;) ) Never tried fiberglass, but it will come....

Not hard. For $20 - 30 (any hardware store) you can save most anything if it hasn't completely been compromised. Here's an example:

Fiberglassing floorboards: https://www.s197forum.com/threads/w...he-most-difference.140239/page-3#post-2540372

lambalrl

Reaction score
Found a place in Dayton, Kohlbacher's Kustom Speed and Fab, they did a fantastic job on repairing the floor board.

20231009_081740.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back