FML! Why Me?!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Most dealerships do not offer warranties on anything used. At my dealership, as soon as you sign that as-is form and drive off the lot, its yours. You could drive off and put diesel in it by mistake and come blame me, or put transmission fluid in the wrong hole. Not really sure why everyone would expect the dealer to take responsibility. I definitely would not.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Sucks man, but I'm really struggling with the original thinking here. Sinking every last dime into a 500hp+ modified car as a daily in October while living in NY... were you going to drive that in the snow?

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Synopsis: I fucked up but I don't think it was my fault. It wasn't your fault either, but you need to pay for it.

I really need to start compiling a list of all of the expensive dumb shit I've done in my life. With some fine wordsmanship I could become a GoFundMe millionaire.

Last edited:

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
So... OP? You gonna talk at all? Or is this like the other kid who asked for money, the thread went south, and he bailed?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I work in sales at a Ford Dealer. Pre-Owned cars - "As Is". As soon as you take delivery, you're an absolute owner. Now, while we're lenient on a case-by-case, we make NO exceptions for modified/performance cars. ZERO.

This kid needs to own up, stop asking for handouts, and deal with it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The law on used car sales is state dependent.

NY
Used Car Lemon Law
Your protection under the law when you buy from a New York dealer extends to used cars as well. The dealer must provide a warranty on the vehicle that covers at least the engine, transmission, drive axle, brakes, radiator, steering, alternator, generator, starter, and ignition system (not including the battery).

Under the warranty, the dealer must either repair the defect or reimburse you for the repair costs. The length of the warranty depends on how many miles are on the vehicle when you buy it:

18,001 to 36,000 miles: 90 days or 4,000 miles
36,001 to 79,999 miles: 60 days or 3,000 miles
80,000 to 100,000 miles: 30 days or 1,000 miles
The Used Car Lemon Law entitles you to a replacement vehicle or refund if the dealer is unable to correct the problem after 3 attempts to repair or the car has been out of service for at least 15 days.

CT
Since October 1987, the Connecticut Used Car Warranty Law has covered certain used cars purchased from licensed Connecticut dealers. The law covers mechanical and operational defects at the time of purchase, if the owner has met all of the following conditions:

The owner has paid at least $3,000 for the vehicle.
The vehicle is six years old or less.
The vehicle is used for personal purposes or family or household use.
The dealer must repair the vehicle at no charge up to 30 days (or 1,500 miles) after the purchase date if the owner paid at least $3,000, and up to 60 days (or 3,000 miles) after the purchase date if the owner paid at least $5,000.

In the OP's case, it's the age of the car that gets the dealer a pass.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I really need to start compiling a list of all of the expensive dumb shit I've done in my life. With some fine wordsmanship I could become a GoFundMe millionaire.

I would be happy to get all the money back for the dumb shit I have done in the last year!!!:happy3:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
NY

Used Car Lemon Law
Your protection under the law when you buy from a New York dealer extends to used cars as well. The dealer must provide a warranty on the vehicle that covers at least the engine, transmission, drive axle, brakes, radiator, steering, alternator, generator, starter, and ignition system (not including the battery).

Under the warranty, the dealer must either repair the defect or reimburse you for the repair costs. The length of the warranty depends on how many miles are on the vehicle when you buy it:

18,001 to 36,000 miles: 90 days or 4,000 miles
36,001 to 79,999 miles: 60 days or 3,000 miles
80,000 to 100,000 miles: 30 days or 1,000 miles
The Used Car Lemon Law entitles you to a replacement vehicle or refund if the dealer is unable to correct the problem after 3 attempts to repair or the car has been out of service for at least 15 days.

Another reason to avoid that communist state.:Pshyco:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another reason to avoid that communist state.:Pshyco:

I think it's a reasonaBle law, it prevents scam artists from selling crap that is band-aided to drive off the lot and then have a huge failure shortly after.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
I think it's a reasonaBle law, it prevents scam artists from selling crap that is band-aided to drive off the lot and then have a huge failure shortly after.

You haven't been in the car business apparently (with due respect :love51:)

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No I haven't. I'm sure there is another side to it.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The last 7 years would work out pretty good for me. All the mods I put on and took off since owning my Mustang. It's enough to equal some vacation property.

:thumb:

No I haven't. I'm sure there is another side to it.
There is a huge other side. That law is open to all sorts of abuse by the "chiseler" portion of the buying public. There is a segment of the population that makes it their duty to screw retailers over as much and as often as possible. Then there is the portion of the population that is so ignorant that they can't even understand when they're in the wrong. Between the two they can hurt a dealer pretty bad.

I never sold cars, but I was in the powersports industry for a long time (same-ish). If we had a law like that I would NEVER EVER sell a used unit. they are already a huge PITA.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

My father was for over 35 years and had to abide by the laws quoted. It makes dealers provide a minimum standard and stand behind the product they sell. It's not a bad law. Protects buyers from unscrupulous dealers.

My father just sold solid quality used cars. Only had a hand full of issues over the years. You price the car with a buffer, like insurance. Low risk, low add. Higher risk, higher add. Too much risk, sell it at dealer auction.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
My father was for over 35 years and had to abide by the laws quoted. It makes dealers provide a minimum standard and stand behind the product they sell. It's not a bad law. Protects buyers from unscrupulous dealers.

My father just sold solid quality used cars. Only had a hand full of issues over the years. You price the car with a buffer, like insurance. Low risk, low add. Higher risk, higher add. Too much risk, sell it at dealer auction.

These are different times. Retail has changed a lot in the US. The margins that were around pre 2005ish are all but gone. Can it be done? Sure, look at CarMax. But for a small independent it's harder to absorb the hits.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He's been out for seven years now. And he has said the business was changing for the worse. Customers would get a price then go a competitor (their prerogative) and buy. Then demand he service their car right away because they have a warranty (pain in the ass in its own right). To which his response was often, once my buying paying customers are taken care of I'll take a look at your car. They would get sick of wating and go away.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
He's been out for seven years now. And he has said the business was changing for the worse. Customers would get a price then go a competitor (their prerogative) and buy. Then demand he service their car right away because they have a warranty (pain in the ass in its own right). To which his response was often, once my buying paying customers are taken care of I'll take a look at your car. They would get sick of wating and go away.

He got out just in time.

I did too.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My mom said he was a different man the day after he closed. Less stress.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back