Ford Keeps Codes for Ignition Key Recoding 10 years?

SVT Rider

Reaction score
When I bought the 2007 Mustang used it only came with one key, and PATS needs two separately coded keys to add a third to the computer using the process outlined in the user manual. I knew I had to go through the dealership to erase old key codes and add two new coded keys to allow for the PATS programming.

I just contacted my local dealership and scheduled an appointment to get additional keys programmed for my '07 Mustang. I was told that they can only clone the current key now since Ford only keeps re-coding codes 10 years for vehicles. Really?

That seems strange and frustrating for those who lost their set of keys over the years. I can't imagine it takes much for Ford Corporate to store the codes for eternity. Does anyone know if this is true that dealerships can only re-code keys for vehicles up to 10 years old?

I suspect that cloning is what the locksmiths are doing these days which negates the usefulness of the 2-key PATS requirement, anyhow, but being able to add keys in one's driveway is a convenient option.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thata is strange. There is nothing to "keep" on key codes. If they want two keys to add a third, they are NOT using Ford IDS to erase and reprogram. Just need two "good" keys. And by good I mean some chinese keys just flat out aren't recognized by PATS.
Forscan can program keys. Just need a usb elm 327 adapter and a windows laptop. And two keys minimum.
Where are you located?

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Only need 2 keys if you are going to do it without dealer/locksmith, from what I've had to do.
but I've had a locksmith make a second key, with only one key to start, on a 2004 Grand Marq.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If you have two working keys, you can add keys without IDS or Forscan.
If you only have ONE key, you need IDS or Forscan, must erase keys and program new ones.
Note: small percentage of ppl were able to trick programming using the same key twice.

SVT Rider

Reaction score
Thata is strange. There is nothing to "keep" on key codes. If they want two keys to add a third, they are NOT using Ford IDS to erase and reprogram. Just need two "good" keys. And by good I mean some chinese keys just flat out aren't recognized by PATS.
Forscan can program keys. Just need a usb elm 327 adapter and a windows laptop. And two keys minimum.
Where are you located?
Yeah, I thought it was weird too. I have used Forscan for data logging on the phone and some on the laptop. I haven't found a good guide that outlines how to erase the old keys and then provision/code 2 new keys with Forscan. Is it fairly straightforward and proven to work on the 2005-2009 models?

I am located on the west side of Portland Oregon. You don't happen to be local?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry, Im too far. PA.
Yes Forscan should work to program PATS. But you MUST have 2 good keys. I would bite the bullet and buy a second Ford key.
First step after waiting the ten minutes access is delete existing keys. Than follow the prompt, insert key 1, click, insert 2nd key, click. And car should now have both keys working.
Proceed with extreme caution, as you could leave the car with a no start if there are issues with the programming. I have successfully programmed my 2013 PATS system with Forscan.

Ps: Forscan is essentially IDS reverse engineered. I would first just try to access PATS programming, but not erase keys just yet. Sorry, dont mean to scare you.

SVT Rider

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I know Forscan "should work", and I have gone back and forth with trying this route. I do have two "good" Strattec keys: my original and a new uncut blank.

Totally warranted to scare here. There is very good reason to have worry here as a hiccup or no-start after the programming can lead to a very expensive tow to and repair at the dealership.

My hope was that I could get two genuine keys done at the dealership and then just add additional keys using the method outlined in the manual as safeguard for lost keys (always having 2 keys locked away), but the way the dealership mentioned about the 10-year coding limit was off-putting.

I will talk with the maintenance team manager when I drop it off next week (there is another repair they are doing as part of this appointment). Maybe he can clarify if it will be a clone of the one key or if they will be able to add two coded keys. Sounds like if Forscan can re-code 2 keys from the ground up, then there is no reason the dealership can't.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Drive to the dealer. Attempt to program keys in parking lot. If it fails, no tow required. A tech can come out to the car and use IDS. Should cost 1 hour of labor.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Some aftermarket keys do work. Check out the forscan forum. I read that there is a way to check to see if the key you have will work or not. I just dont know how to do it. Or a list of non ford keys that will work.

SVT Rider

Reaction score
I got to the bottom of the story on the re-coding not available for vehicles 10years or older. The re-coding in this sense is the tumbler code for re-keying the lock cylinder, which is not held onto for vehicles older than 10 years.

The dealership was able to erase the old keys and then program the PATS chip on the new keys with their IDS.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
The Key Code is only if you have no keys and security paperwork is needed to be filled I=out. If you come in with no keys, then we fill out paperwork showing proof of ownership and submit to a secured database with Ford for the "Keycode". If you already have a key anyone who knows how to use a key machine can duplicate. The programing is done to program the PATS chip.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back