Ford Motor Company Buybacks??

JJ427R

Reaction score
A local Ford dealership has a few 2018 Mustangs that are listed as FMC buybacks. My understanding is these are cars that have issues that could not be resolved and Ford buys em back, but they are sold without a warranty? Any body know anything about these???

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
A local Ford dealership has a few 2018 Mustangs that are listed as FMC buybacks. My understanding is these are cars that have issues that could not be resolved and Ford buys em back, but they are sold without a warranty? Any body know anything about these???

"What does it mean when a car is a manufacturer buyback?
The Bagwells knew the car was a manufacturer's buyback, but they never thought it might be a lemon. In Florida, a manufacturer's buyback can mean that the company bought the car back out of goodwill simply to satisfy an unhappy customer, but it may also mean that the vehicle is legally classified as a lemon."

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126960&page=1 This will make u gag.

"What is a Ford lemon law buyback?
In a true lemon law buyback, the lemon vehicle's title is “branded” so that all future purchasers know that the vehicle has had serious problems. ... In the FordDealership “buy back” program, the dealership is going to turn around and sell the defective vehicle to another unfortunate consumer."

"Should you buy a lemon law buyback?
You Should Never Ever Ever Purchase A Manufacturer Buyback Vehicle. ... For those unfamiliar, all 50 states have Lemon Laws which require manufacturers to buy vehicles back from customers whose cars cannot be fixed after 3 or 4 repair attempts.Jan 30, 2015"

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/you-should-never-ever-ever-purchase-a-manufacturer-buyb-1682862688
This one takes the cake..esp the comments below the article.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
There are RAV (reacquired vehicle) dealerships that buy a lot of buybacks, fix them, and sell them. AFAIK, buybacks do come with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Depending on why it was bought back, I probably wouldn't have a problem buying one of them. Vehicles can get bought back for multiple repair attempts for the same concern or due to time down. When the 18s first came out, people were breaking shift forks in the trans. Parts were on intergalactic backorder and a lot of cars sat around waiting for parts. Some people may have initiated buyback due to time down and the car may be perfectly fine. If you are actually interested in buying one, PM me the VIN and I can tell you what was wrong with it.

JJ427R

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that they can resell them again, and the prices they have them listed at are not any lower than the standard listings....
They are at White Bear Lincoln in MN....

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
What else would they do with them? Scrap them? In my experience, most of the RAV cars I have seen are bought back not because of the car, but because whoever was working on them before overlooked something basic in the diag or because the car was at the dealer for more than 30 days. This happens if a dealer doesn’t want to deal with the car and puts it on the back burner or if the parts are on backorder. I also think that some people get in over their heads financially, and try to get the vehicle bought back over minor issues so they can get out of it.

Last edited:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
What else would they do with them? Scrap them? In my experience, most of the RAV cars I have seen are bought back not because of the car, but because whoever was working on them before overlooked something basic in the diag or because the car was at the dealer for more than 30 days. This happens if a dealer doesn’t want to deal with the car and puts it on the back burner or if the parts are on backorder. I also think that some people get in over their heads financially, and try to get the vehicle bought back over minor issues so they can get out of it.

Could be true. Just remember that once it gets to that point of the buy back there is a Field Service Engineer involved.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Could be true. Just remember that once it gets to that point of the buy back there is a Field Service Engineer involved.

I’m very aware of that fact. Sometimes it hits buyback before an FSE even gets out there. Couple weeks at the dealership, couple weeks working with TAC, FSE heads out. It’s easy to rack up 30 days very fast.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
As someone who has had to pursue lemon law in the past with Ford, I would NOT choose to buy someone else's. I get it -- some are no lemons. Some might be technically labeled lemons for various reasons but be good cars. And, if you buy a new car that is not a buy-back, you could have the same or more problems.

But, in the end, it's about risk tolerance; I'm not willing to get into a car for the next X years with an increased likelihood of being a PITA.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I sold a handful over the years, never had a problem with any of them.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I'd surmise most of the 2018+ buy backs back for sale are for the Gen3 engine tick/rattle.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Generally no. Even if the car is actually fine, it is branded and title or at a minimum the car fax will show and the the resale for you will be tough down the road. I had a used dealer try to sell me one at retail, and the paperwork said paint defects, I dont know why Ford wouldn't just repaint the car instead of buying it back. Too suspect for me.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back