Ford TPMS Sucks

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Got a deal on '12 brembo wheels for my '08 'stang. Find out '12 TPMS is completely incompatible with the '08. Good deal went south in a hurry. Fuck you Ford. Hate you so much right now.

/end rant

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
So Ford sucks because you didn't do all your research? Just buy new sensors if the deal was that good...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It would be nice if the nanny state didn't mandate them. Since that will never happen maybe all of the manufacturers could get a universal standard for them like obd2 is for diagnostic ports.

It's too bad it can't be turned off with anything but black tape.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
It would be nice if the nanny state didn't mandate them. Since that will never happen maybe all of the manufacturers could get a universal standard for them like obd2 is for diagnostic ports.

It's too bad it can't be turned off with anything but black tape.

It's because most dumb ass drivers aren't capable of checking their own air pressure without being told to by a dash light...

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Seen a few people with aftermarket rims buy some abs pipe, throw the sensors in, cap it, and put a valve stem in and pump it up to 32lbs or so. Then toss it in the trunk. No more tpms light.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Seen a few people with aftermarket rims buy some abs pipe, throw the sensors in, cap it, and put a valve stem in and pump it up to 32lbs or so. Then toss it in the trunk. No more tpms light.

This is more or less what we did with my wife's JK.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score

clap2.gif

I should totally do this.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
They'll do away with the sensors soon. They're starting to use the wheel speed sensors and new algorithms to give the computer the calculated pressure in each tire

It's cheaper for the manufacturers and easier on the dealerships since breaking them is a common occurrence

Last edited by a moderator:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got a bad sensor in one of my oe rims with the oe tires that have never been seperated from each other.
The only thing I like about the system is that if you travel on gravel roads (usually for me it's in a work truck)it will let you know if you've punctured a tire before you tear it to shreds. Other than that, I hate it-sucks when the warning sounds at 85 mph on the freeway, you pull over, check, and all tires still have 32 lbs of pressure.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I had one of those sensors loose in my wheel for a while I would stop and hear that shit bounce around :roflmao:
I check my air pressure regularly, also I don't know why we have to train each wheel if you are down air it doesn't even tell you WHICH fuckin tire is low.
So what is the point of training LF, RF, LR, RR!? Now that is stupid.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
So Ford sucks because you didn't do all your research?

Yes that's exactly correct! Who the hell goes wheel shopping, finds the wheels they want and asks themselves I wonder if it works with my tpms?

It's not a good deal when you add in the cost of buying the correct tpms, dismounting the tires, banding the new tpms, and remount/balance tires.

I'll deal with it.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Yes that's exactly correct! Who the hell goes wheel shopping, finds the wheels they want and asks themselves I wonder if it works with my tpms?

It's not a good deal when you add in the cost of buying the correct tpms, dismounting the tires, banding the new tpms, and remount/balance tires.

I'll deal with it.

You usually don't have to dismount the tires to swap a sensor. I had one changed on my previous car and they just had to break the bead, took a few minutes...

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Got a deal on '12 brembo wheels for my '08 'stang. Find out '12 TPMS is completely incompatible with the '08. Good deal went south in a hurry. Fuck you Ford. Hate you so much right now.

/end rant

If you take the '12 TPMS sensors out, I will buy them from you.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So Ford sucks because you didn't do all your research? Just buy new sensors if the deal was that good...

/\ this, it's widely known that the sensors are not compatible from the 07-09s to the newer models.

I will likely have a set of band senors (off an 08) for sale in a few weeks if you can wait.

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score

Thats an amazing idea... can't believe I've never heard of that being done before...

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
/\ this, it's widely known that the sensors are not compatible from the 07-09s to the newer models.

I will likely have a set of band senors (off an 08) for sale in a few weeks if you can wait.

That would be awesome bud. Like i said the TPMS was the last thing on my mind when i ran into this deal. It was one of those jump on it or its gone forever lol. I'm not in a hurry for a fix, its just an annoying light. When you're ready just hit me up!

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Thats an amazing idea... can't believe I've never heard of that being done before...

Not a fan of the pipe bomb method? It's all good til the cops find a reason to search the trunk... might be better to admit that its a pipe bomb over a federal law bypass lol.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back