FRPP GT500 oil pump 3V Failure under 5 miles

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I just put a GT500 oil pump kit for a 3V from FRPP in a fresh built forged motor in my buddies 08 Roush STG3. Pre-lubed and primed the motor started it up it ran smooth idled great no issues. Burped the coolant system revved it a few times(under 3K rpm) all looked good. Drove t to the end of my street(1/2mile) and back and when it came back to idle it was rattling and oil light is on. Cut it off and back on and oil light goes off and is quiet. Rev it to 1K rpm its good. 2K rpm its good. 3k rpm its good. it comes back to idle and oil light back on.
So onto a manual gauge.
At idle 10psi on rev 20-30 psi when came back to idle 0 psi.
So my thought is it has to be the oil pump or relief valve. The bearing clearances and torque specs were spot-on and is all good parts(H-bearings manley rods all new hardware block line bored etc)
Everything in this engine is brand new Except Cams/Block/Crank/Heads
Everything was machined and freshened even the heads.

Anyone seen these pumps or relief valves fail like this?
It FRPP GT500 pump but has 3V cast in front of housing. I bought it new from FORD dealer

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've seen the gears fail, but not with the conditions you describe, when the gears fail you get zero pressure.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
pull the timing cover and see if there is a plug in the oil galley. there is an oil galley behind the chain if left out , will allow you to have just enough oil pressure to kill the light barely and will cause the issue you are describing. I've seen machine shops pull this during machining/cleaning and forget to put a threaded plug back in. they come with a freeze plug though. I'd bet 100 dollars to hot doughnut you're losing oil pressure internally and not from the oil pump

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 on the plug, the only other thing I can think of is the pressure relief is stuck open. The oil pump either works or doesn't. I don't think it's an oil pump failure, there is something else causing this.

Earl

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Do you have the high pressure spring in that comes with the pump? What weight oil are you using and what are the clearances for the rod and main bearings?

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Do you have the high pressure spring in that comes with the pump? What weight oil are you using and what are the clearances for the rod and main bearings?

It's as supplied out of box.
It has Royal Purple break-in oil(10-30) in it.
It is on tight side of specs on all bearings.
I looked thru my photos of build and found the galley plug missing.
Guess no more trusting my machine shop
Even though those guys build lots of high hp race motors including mod motors
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396029680.802342.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396029694.369382.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. Now to just hope it didn't hurt anything with that low oil pressure

Sent from my iPhone 5S

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FYI the supplied spring is stouter than a 3v spring. My 14 GT500 pump had a 3v housing too. The only differences I could find upon disassembly and side to side comparison were the back plate and pressure relief spring.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
This was resolved (identified?) a LOT quicker than I expected. I have never thought to take a pic of my engine before I button it up. That's a good idea right there.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
The rattle would scare the crap outta me. Hope nothing was damaged!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Damn you mofo's are good, that's why I love this forum!

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
just glad to give something back. picked my share of brains in here. hope nothing got trashed. I would cut the filter open and catch all the oil and examine it, then maybe try an get the shop to own it if damage was done but they'll probably say you should've caught it before you installed it. that seems to be the norm.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Will remember this when I'm putting mine in, in the coming weeks...

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad it resolved fast!

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let's remember this is still a tech thread

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back