FRPP Strut Tower Brace Problems - Help

Dragon

forum member
Reaction score
I just picked up a FRPP strut tower brace. When I tried to install it, it did not fit. The brace is too long. It is about 1/4 to 1/2 past the bolts on one side of the strut tower.

Anyone have any suggestions?

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I posted the same thing not too long ago. Not much help here. I think it's because of the change in size of the 07 engine bay.

You can probably get the front wheels off the ground and see if that changes the positions of the strut tower bolts enough that it'll fit. That's what I plan to do, anyway.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
That is what I was going to suggest jack it up in the center of the k-member and if it dont fit then you dont need it anyhow becouse there is no flex there.:thumb:

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Big Ray's right, Chris; the 07 engine bay was made wider to accomodate the SC'd 5.4 of the GT500. Maybe you can sell it and get a Roush one, which is what I'm thinking of (bolts to all 4 bolts on each side, for a more complete look). I also have seen a version that is adjustable for length.

G.T

Reaction score
if the bay was made wider in the 07.. how come the strut brace is too long to fit?
one would think it'd be the other way around!

partsbill

forum member
Reaction score
I bought and install the OEM 2008 Bullitt brace on my 2006 GT, Ford part
number 8R3Z 16A200 A, it's the same brace as the FRPP V6 brace, no issues with it, it clears the OEM intake cover, the hood and it bolted right up.
008.jpg

Dragon

forum member
Reaction score
I'm bringing it back to the dealer where I bought it tomorrow. I will see what they say.

I tend to agree with G.T about the engine bay size and the fact that the bar is too long. Plus, the FRPP dealer had to order it from FRPP, so I assume that the bar was made recently (maybe a wrong assumption).

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
The engine bay isn't actually any wider at the top of the strut towers, it is wider between the strut towers because Ford removed a couple brackets for '07+. The dimensions across the engine bay from strut tower to strut tower remained the same for all S197s.

MAK

Reaction score
partsbill - looks good

to the OP.. id definitely take it back to the dealer and see what they say or what they will do for you.

i just took the GT500 route and went with that strut bar and painted it red..

redintakemanifoldandthrottlebody009.jpg

redintakemanifoldandthrottlebody010.jpg

got it for $36 if i remember correctly.. i bought that and a GT500 chin, both together totaled me $94 give or take a few.. (the lady at the desk gave me employee pricing!)

Dragon

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good, MAK!

I took my car to the dealer today and the parts guys were baffled. They got a service guy and he raised the front end and it fit. Problem solved!

Thanks for your replies.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Looks good, MAK!

I took my car to the dealer today and the parts guys were baffled. They got a service guy and he raised the front end and it fit. Problem solved!

Thanks for your replies.
Guess that show these cars do need it.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks. Do you have a plenum cover, and if so, did it clear? I figured it wouldn't, and I planned to take mine off, but I really don't want to.

P.S. Where are you in Houston? I'm down in League City.

Last edited:

Embalmer

Amateur Expert
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Bullitt STB will fit with the plenum cover. I can't attest to the regular Ford Racing bar, though.

070608013.jpg

070608016.jpg

Dragon

forum member
Reaction score
BigRay,

I do not have the plenum cover. I'm not sure if it will fit, but the dealership acted like it would not. Also, I have a 2008 which might have a different hood blanket. I have heard that some hood blankets rub on the tower which I don't think is a problem, but I just wanted to let you know.

I'm in Sugar Land.

I believe you're close to PSI Motorsports - have you ever used them?

P.S. I believe Mr. Clean is in your area and has the same GT 500 wheels as you do.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe you're close to PSI Motorsports - have you ever used them?
Yup, they're right up the road. They did my 412 rwhp tune. I've been trying to get back to see Patrick to get my intercooler and some other stuff installed, but as busy as he is, I'd have better luck making an appointment to see the Pope. :)

Dragon

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm, you're the second person that told me PSI was hard to reach. Maybe I will go with Fast Lane or the Ford Racing route at my dealer for my tune.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm, you're the second person that told me PSI was hard to reach. Maybe I will go with Fast Lane or the Ford Racing route at my dealer for my tune.
I've heard good things about Fast Lane, too, but PSI has pretty much 100% positive feedback. I've had good luck just showing up and talking to Patrick, but I can see where that would be hard for you.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Fast Lane, too, but PSI has pretty much 100% positive feedback. I've had good luck just showing up and talking to Patrick, but I can see where that would be hard for you.
Hey bigray327, where did they move to? thy're not by the water treatment plant anymore....I live in Friendswood, and I'd like to talk to him about FI....I like Fastlane, but the drive's a biatch. What time of day do you usually/am I likely to find him?

Thanks,

Marc

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey bigray327, where did they move to? thy're not by the water treatment plant anymore....I live in Friendswood, and I'd like to talk to him about FI....I like Fastlane, but the drive's a biatch. What time of day do you usually/am I likely to find him?
They're about 200 yards north of where they used to be, on the southbound side of Highway 3. They are now in a facility that's a little bigger, which used to be a repair shop. Three bays, I think. Right next to a tint shop.

It's hard to say about the best times. I've been there at all different times and sometimes it's packed, sometimes it's not. Maybe I'll see you up there sometime... I gotta get that dang intercooler installed and I don't feel like doing it myself in this heat.

Last edited:

RoketGT

Reaction score
P.S. Where are you in Houston? I'm down in League City.

I grew up in League City. My dad worked at NASA during the 60's and that's where I went to League City Elementary, Newport Elementary and Webster Intermediate. The world gets smaller and smaller! :beer:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back