Gear And Driveshaft Install?

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about changing my rear gears again and was wondering if I should have the gears installed prior to installing the driveshaft or does it matter? A friend and I will be doing the D/S but not the gears, so we can't do them at the same time.

travelers

Reaction score
Whose drive shaft are you using? If its spyders I would do it first so when they do the gears the pinion adapter won't have to be changed after the gears are set.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about changing my rear gears again and was wondering if I should have the gears installed prior to installing the driveshaft or does it matter? A friend and I will be doing the D/S but not the gears, so we can't do them at the same time.
If you are doing a DS that requires removing the pinion flange (such as spydershaft) rather than placing an adapter in the stock flange, then you should do the DS either at the same time or before...

Ideally, you set the pinion pre-load without interference from the carrier. If you replace the flange after the fact, you are, at best measuring the pre-load of the pinion and carrier (not to mention the inertia/drag of the differential, axles and brakes).

So, it is better to have the "right" pinion flange in there when you replace the gears (which means change the DS first).

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes it's a Spyder shaft and thanks for the answers. I have the shaft now and haven't totally decided about the gears so I'm glad to hear that the shaft should be changed first.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
Stop spending money and save for the blower!! 4.10 gears will likely be too much once the power adder is there and then you'll have to switch gears again!! SAVE FOR BLOWER!!! :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back