Gem Tinkering

rathair

Reaction score
Hi everyone! For my 2008 GT I just wanted to post some info on what I’ve done (modified) in my Gem. Seeing as I have aftermarket wheels with no Tpms, I’ve disabled the warning message in the cluster, as well as the flashing tire light. I’ve also disabled the daytime running lights, as I have Led bulbs with cooling fans on them. I didn’t want the bulb fans on the whole time the cars on. I’ve picked up a bit of info on the way, and am willing to share with you guys. This is my first thread, please be gentle!

07 Boss

Reaction score
I didn't think you could turn off the TPMS. How are you doing this? I want to turn my airbag light off.

travelers

Reaction score
I believe if you have access to the Ford IDS setup you can turn it off. If you think about it there has to be parameters to turn it on and off in the system. the trick is accessing it.

rathair

Reaction score
07 Boss- I’m pretty sure you can turn off the airbag light, I remember seeing something about airbags while I was mucking around. Get yourself the program called FORScan. Buy an adapter to connect your car to your PC (ELM327 with HS and MS Can connections. Mine has a switch on it). For FORScan I needed to pay for the extended licence, but it was super cheap to do. Also before hooking up to the car, head on over to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt/ and input your VIN to get your build sheet. This is your master list for the installed modules on your car, just in case you change something and would like to change it back. In my case I also got the build data for a car from Florida (they don’t have DRLs) and transferred the info from that car into my GEM. That’s the end product of what I did, but it took me a few days to figure something out, and a few features I didn’t want enabled (like auto door locks), I had to back track a lot. The TPMS was a little more trial and error, but I was happy to get rid of the annoying beeping and flashing.

rathair

Reaction score
I tried installing IDS but I didn’t have a way to connect to my car, so I deleted it. I did it all through FORScan.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'll have to look into that. I have another project going so trying not to spend any money, especially at the mild annoyance of the light being on. But definitely a future footnote. Thanks.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
07 Boss- I’m pretty sure you can turn off the airbag light, I remember seeing something about airbags while I was mucking around. Get yourself the program called FORScan. Buy an adapter to connect your car to your PC (ELM327 with HS and MS Can connections. Mine has a switch on it). For FORScan I needed to pay for the extended licence, but it was super cheap to do. Also before hooking up to the car, head on over to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt/ and input your VIN to get your build sheet. This is your master list for the installed modules on your car, just in case you change something and would like to change it back. In my case I also got the build data for a car from Florida (they don’t have DRLs) and transferred the info from that car into my GEM. That’s the end product of what I did, but it took me a few days to figure something out, and a few features I didn’t want enabled (like auto door locks), I had to back track a lot. The TPMS was a little more trial and error, but I was happy to get rid of the annoying beeping and flashing.

If you did a step-by-step "how to" with pictures and links, I'm pretty sure it would be the best sticky ever.

rathair

Reaction score
Just an update, I haven’t been around to get a step by step as we are just starting a Reno on our main floor at home. As soon as I get free time, I will start writing down the steps I took.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back