Ground in bugs

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help. I keep my two Mustangs really clean and the paint in great shape, even with one an all weather driver and the other a weekend warrior.

The Focus ST (my better half's daily driver) though has taken some hits through neglect of the finish. The bugs are ground in on the front bumper, hood and two fenders and so far resistant to mild to moderate cleaners and bug removing solutions. I mean nothing is really making a dent on some of the older material! Plus, the entire finish of this once gorgeous Tuxedo Black pocket rocket looks like shit. The entire finish needs an overhaul

What process should I follow to attempt to take care of the issue? I will be doing this by hand. All my life I just take care of the car's finish with frequent cleaning, waxing and detailing. Flawless if you keep up with it. But I've never attempted to bring something back, even on something a year old. I think she last washed it in early March.

I'd like to give it a shot, and if that fails, find some local Carroll County or Frederick County Maryland based detail professional to do it right (probably $200 out of pocket).

Thanks in advance.

John

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I would get something like Carpro Tar-X and spray that on there and let it sit for a few minutes and wash it off. I would then follow up with a Clay bar or a Nano skin mat. This should remove the bugs. After that you will probably need a polisher to get the swirls and minor scratches out especially if the paint is in that bad of shape.

You can get into a Griots Garage package for a fair price. You can get something like this. He is also have a Memorial Day sale with 15% off and free shipping on orders over 125. It is out of stock but he may honor it for once its back in stock defiantly worth a call.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Grio...Orbital-Polisher-Swirl-Remover-Kit_p_704.html

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my wife's ES350. Wash, clay bar then polish with DA was the only way to get rid of them.

BigSexySP

Reaction score
Poorboys bug squash is a nice product. It's great to keep on top of your bug guts.

Clay bar (use plenty of lube!!!) followed by a medium compound like Meguiars M205 or sometimes a Cleaner Wax like Zymol's offering and then a sealant and/or wax.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back