GT 500 motor swap or stay with the 3v and build it!!!!!!!

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
I have been searching for a thread about this and havn't found one yet. So I'm on the fence about either building my motor with a procharger and forged internals, or just going with a GT500 motor and tranny swap. I have a few questions.. First off..yes I have driven both and was impressed with the procharger as well with the GT500.. The shelby seemed heavy compared to the 06 procharged stang I drove. The 06 stang was heavily modded, and the shelby was stock.
My question is I am aware of what is needed to build the 3v engine, though besides swaping the motor and trans from a wrecked gt500, what else will I be in for? I know I need the pumps, wire harness..ect. But has anyone done this before? Is it a real pain in the ass and not worth it..or can it be a great addition to a great car? Any info would be great thanks..

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
you obviously have not searched enough..... there are plenty of threads about this and many people have done this. just build your motor. Will be cheaper.

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
well, I was in your boat about a year ago. I went with building the 3v. To me, just less headaches, everything still bolts up and I wanted to keep my a/c. If you look in my sig, you'll see what I did. I will have it up and running in 2 weeks, so I can not comment on the difference in power, but can say that the whole build up started because I wasn't happy with the power my p-1sc was making so I was jusyt going to put a 60mm on the car and call it good, yeah, right, if your gonna do it, do it the way you want, don't settle.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
As far as the price.. many quotes I have had with the build and supercharger, is upwards to bout 10 grand...parts and labor...I want to do this once. So the best most reliable unit is what i want. So that being said would a built 3v at about 600rwhp be more reliable then a 4v 5.4 shelby at the same hp? I have read a lot of horror stories of built motors failing over the last few months on this sight..Just want to know what the best bang for my buck is......

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
As far as the price.. many quotes I have had with the build and supercharger, is upwards to bout 10 grand...parts and labor...I want to do this once. So the best most reliable unit is what i want. So that being said would a built 3v at about 600rwhp be more reliable then a 4v 5.4 shelby at the same hp? I have read a lot of horror stories of built motors failing over the last few months on this sight..Just want to know what the best bang for my buck is......

The best bang for the buck at 600whp would be the 3V. The 3V and a good bottom end, 600whp is easy. Both the 3V and the 4v 5.4 would be equally as durable at this power level.

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
how about waiting for a wrecked 5.0 engine? Newer technology and im pretty sure the car's fuel efficiency would be better. Just throwing that out lol.

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
doing the gt500 swap now... a few things kinda sneak up on you with the price but if you get a good deal on the motor it will save you ..

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
I have been searching for a thread about this and havn't found one yet. So I'm on the fence about either building my motor with a procharger and forged internals, or just going with a GT500 motor and tranny swap. I have a few questions.. First off..yes I have driven both and was impressed with the procharger as well with the GT500.. The shelby seemed heavy compared to the 06 procharged stang I drove. The 06 stang was heavily modded, and the shelby was stock.
My question is I am aware of what is needed to build the 3v engine, though besides swaping the motor and trans from a wrecked gt500, what else will I be in for? I know I need the pumps, wire harness..ect. But has anyone done this before? Is it a real pain in the ass and not worth it..or can it be a great addition to a great car? Any info would be great thanks..

I'm in the process of building my motor now here is break down of what i spent so far

200 = 4.6 3v used complete block 50k miles from a post in WTB section
1100 = 302 kellogg stroked forged rotating assembly ( EBAY)
500 = gt500 modified oil pump ( ebay)
600 = gt500 fuel assembly (ebay)
300 = zex netro kit with autometer boost, fuel, pressure gauges from WTB
300 = arp 2000 bolts (ebay)
200 = gaskets high quality ( ebay)

Then I contacted Us-1 on here for head porting and motor assemlby , I have a few more things to buy then i'm sending motor to US-1 for blueprinting, machine, balancing and the works, he will assemble the motor then i pay him to ship back to me, then i will send him my heads so he can custom port to match my cams instead of a 1 size do all CNC port , with my 100 shot nitro and my procharger at 10 pounds of boost i'm hoping i can hit 600rwhp , my plan is to spray in the beginning until boost kicks in from centrifug. This won't be a drag car but building with 3.55 gears for high way racing. There is a 3 mile stretch of farm land with a road near by i can just let loose in.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my motor now here is break down of what i spent so far

200 = 4.6 3v used complete block 50k miles from a post in WTB section
1100 = 302 kellogg stroked forged rotating assembly ( EBAY)
500 = gt500 modified oil pump ( ebay)
600 = gt500 fuel assembly (ebay)
300 = zex netro kit with autometer boost, fuel, pressure gauges from WTB
300 = arp 2000 bolts (ebay)
200 = gaskets high quality ( ebay)

Then I contacted Us-1 on here for head porting and motor assemlby , I have a few more things to buy then i'm sending motor to US-1 for blueprinting, machine, balancing and the works, he will assemble the motor then i pay him to ship back to me, then i will send him my heads so he can custom port to match my cams instead of a 1 size do all CNC port , with my 100 shot nitro and my procharger at 10 pounds of boost i'm hoping i can hit 600rwhp , my plan is to spray in the beginning until boost kicks in from centrifug. This won't be a drag car but building with 3.55 gears for high way racing. There is a 3 mile stretch of farm land with a road near by i can just let loose in.
You got ripped on your oil pump for 500 bucks. Its 355 at TSS

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
Why in the hell would you buy two oil pumps?

b/c the auction was for two and i sold one to recover some money , so the oil pump actually cost me around 180 bucks after i sold it locally , sometimes you got to spend money to make money or in this case i saw a good deal two for 500 and sold one for 320 and oil pump ended up costing me 180 bucks.

did same thing with my injectors same seller had two sets in auction on ebay sold one set locally and ended spending 150 bucks for 80lb injectors after sale was done.

Last edited:

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
I did the GT500 swap.. its not worth it compared to building the 3v.. i spent way to much money for the stupid things like the wireing harnes and smart juction box etc you need to do it the correct way then you need a dealer to setup the PCM corectley etc... build your 3v !

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
thanks...though based on what everyone here has said I think the 5.4 would be quite sexy under my hood, I am going to build a three valve. .....NOW...another issue..I have found a cheap complete 3v from a 06 gt with 28k on it.. Though besides weight is there a benifit from going with an aluminum block build? I am thinking of spending the extra money on a used aluminum block that a buddy said he would sell based on weight alone. Though is there anything I need to know? Is it worth the money...being $2k for the aluminum block or 500 bucks for the used 06 engine... thanks...

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Our blocks are aluminum....

+1 :thumb2:

and do you want even less problems? buy a built shortblock, keep the stock heads just change valves if you dont want to spend much $$$ or if budget has no limits, buy the entire longblock with ported heads and all the funny stuff.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
wtf? Then there is a shop in socal that was trying to rip me off buy telling me I need to buy "their" aluminum block to save weight on my iron one. I thought we had aluminum blocks on our stock 3v, but I took his word for it... I need to do a lot more homework for this build damn....Thanks

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
ok.... what would be more reliable. A stroker kit or stay with the 4.6 kit. Done right would a 302 kit be up for daily driving. I want a turn key car that is up for trips to vegas and traffic jams. From you guys who have the kit, any problems?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back