4.0 to 3.7 V6 swap

GlassTop09

Reaction score
My 2 cents...............

I know for a fact that a '10-up OEM Ford "Boss 302" strut tower brace will fit under a stock '09 GT hood w\o touching it.......even w\ the underside hood insulation still installed (had 1 installed on my car until I switched out the Ford Performance 3V IM for an '08 OEM IM at which time I reinstalled my SR STB as it looks better under the hood than the OEM Ford Boss 302 STB did.....but the OEM Ford Boss 302 STB cleared the Ford Performance 3V IM by almost a full 1" whereas my SR STB just barely cleared the same manifold by just under 1/8" (the FP 3V IM was hitting the SR STB whenever engine flexed on the OEM motor mounts is why I picked up the Ford Boss 302 STB to resolve........read a lot of comments that this OEM Ford Boss 302 STB wouldn't fit under a stock 05-09 GT hood........found out these comments weren't accurate).

If this same OEM Ford Boss 302 STB will fit over the 3.7L Cyclone in a '10-up S197 chassis, the 3.7L Cyclone should also fit under a stock 05-09 GT hood IMHO of course.........

Of course, since TARA-fied already has a cowl hood to install on his creation......all this is a moot point.

1 thing is for sure........this car is gonna be 1 hell of a sleeper car for an unsuspecting 05-09 4.0L V6 or even some 05-10 GT's to roll up beside trying to troll a race against...........w\ that 3.7L Cyclone V6 using Tri-VCT under the hood........

Damn fine swap job done TARA-fied!
:beer:

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
1 thing is for sure........this car is gonna be 1 hell of a sleeper car for an unsuspecting 05-09 4.0L V6 or even some 05-10 GT's to roll up beside trying to troll a race against...........w\ that 3.7L Cyclone V6 using Tri-VCT under the hood........

Damn fine swap job done TARA-fied!
:beer:

thanks so much!

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I got the taillights modified, third brake light and license plate lights etc. all working. I spent Saturday just driving the car. I pressure washed the engine bay.
I put about 130 miles on the car. It is so much more fun now. I set the steering to sport mode. I went on some narrow winding and hilly back roads and out on a divided highway. Drove around in Bowling Green traffic, mall parking lot. The car performed just as a 2012 Mustang should. I am very pleased with the outcome. I am so glad I did this conversion!
Image - Copy (256).jpeg
Image - Copy (255).jpeg
Image - Copy (257).jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great job! That cowl hood has a reason to exist now and it looks fantastic. Now you can really wake up that Cyclone with some shorty headers and a MPT tune. If you still have those 2.73 stock gears a swap will help there too. I'm sure you know by now that the 3.7 is no ordinary sixer and will make power all the way to 6000+ rpm.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Great job! That cowl hood has a reason to exist now and it looks fantastic. Now you can really wake up that Cyclone with some shorty headers and a MPT tune. If you still have those 2.73 stock gears a swap will help there too. I'm sure you know by now that the 3.7 is no ordinary sixer and will make power all the way to 6000+ rpm.
thanks, yeah the hood was useless before but I liked how it looked. So yeah it might actually serve a purpose now! And yes, the rear gear will be the first "modification"
I am already looking for some gears. The engine is pretty peppy and will wind nicely. I am enjoying it a lot already but I know I am never satisfied so i will be looking to increase the performance soon. I think my next modification after the rear gear will be a Barton shifter, then maybe a tune. Eventually I'd like to turbocharge it!

JimC

Reaction score
thanks, yeah the hood was useless before but I liked how it looked. So yeah it might actually serve a purpose now! And yes, the rear gear will be the first "modification"
I am already looking for some gears. The engine is pretty peppy and will wind nicely. I am enjoying it a lot already but I know I am never satisfied so i will be looking to increase the performance soon. I think my next modification after the rear gear will be a Barton shifter, then maybe a tune. Eventually I'd like to turbocharge it!
My suggestion, after trying to turbo a 3.7 and blowing it up three times, go with the ProCharger. It is a proven power adder and easier to get a tune for that compared to the turbo - at least in my experience. Don't try for more than 8lbs of boost on the 3.7, anything more than that seems to be risky on that platform.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
thanks for the advice! I assumed that maybe the twin turbos from the ecoboost 3.5 might be neat but procharger is a great option. I do not want to blow it up (yet!)

Reaction score

If you look at the '10-'12 hood it has a similar bulge to yours, just smaller. But I see you get the idea about the Cyclone. It is a performance engine and the stock lower end can easily take 500+ HP. Just don't detonate it to death. That is why people are not too keen on Turbo's but if you run on E85 you are pretty safe. With your skills you can probable rig up a ProCharger in an afternoon and with a good tune it should be good to go . Skills are what is stopping me from SC. I have a brand new ported upper/lower intake for my 3.7 and I am dreading the job. I will do it though. I know it can add 20HP so it was well worth the $400 I paid for them.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
is the hypereutectic pistons and the powder metal rods the weak link?

More than likely since those are also the weak links in the 4.6 3V. The rods bend or break when subjected to detonation or excessively high cylinder pressures (500lbft at the crank is about the safe limit on the 4.6 3V), while piston ring lands are also more prone to break under detonation since the top ring is closer to the crown, thus reducing its thickness.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
well, I will start with a tune, some gears and go from there! Except this new shifter knob... I guess it's not a go fast part but the original knob was gone so I needed something!
Knob.jpg

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
The Devil went down to Georgia...
I had to go to Atlanta (from Kentucky) for work this week and I drove the 200712 Mustang. I have a little over 600 miles on it since the swap now. I am really enjoying the car. I have a few warning lights to figure out but the car is performing very well. It took me out for pizza tonight. I drive back North tomorrow.mellow mushroom.jpeg

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
two weeks in a row to Atlanta and back from Kentucky and well over a thousand miles. I have a little tail pipe rattle but other than that it's been great. I do still need to get it aligned and recharge the AC. Also get the TPMS reprogrammed and maybe I will put the ABS stuff from the 12 on it, maybe not... I'm not sure anyone wants to hear any more updates so this will probably be the last post. I do want to thank those who encouraged me and helped me troubleshoot. The car is so much more fun to drive now as a 2012 than it was as a 2007! I will post new threads when I go forced induction, gear changes and whatever else. Cheers!
2-28-23.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back