4.0 to 3.7 V6 swap

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I made a seperate post for the troubleshooting of the "no crank" issue in the intrest of addressing that specifically. Anyway, here is a link to it. https://www.s197forum.com/threads/2012-3-7l-six-speed-no-crank-issue.141260/
Spoiler alert, I think I have found the problem! the C1381B connector is damaged from the 12's accident. It appears to have damaged the pin #16 (of course!). So anyway I need to replace or repair it and I think I will be good.
Damage to 16 and 17 pins.jpeg
C1381B pinout.png

Last edited:

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
very frustrated. I am going to look into a big block with a carb and a distributor like I should have done in the first place.

Reaction score
I also found this thread and I checked the BEC/BJB per reply #3. I have to get help to check the wire on starter while cranking. Can't to do that alone!
https://www.s197forum.com/threads/no-crank-no-start-security-related.140911/

I just read something on another site about no crank issues. You need all the modules to be communicating with each other or it won't crank. Are all yours working and connected? That includes the body control module in the passenger footwell.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I just read something on another site about no crank issues. You need all the modules to be communicating with each other or it won't crank. Are all yours working and connected? That includes the body control module in the passenger footwell.
I do not know how to check that. Everything is plugged in. I checked all my connections. Practically pulled all the interior back out of the car. I can't find any obvious problems.
I will contact the electrical dept...
electrical dept.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I do not know how to check that. Everything is plugged in. I checked all my connections. Practically pulled all the interior back out of the car. I can't find any obvious problems.
I will contact the electrical dept...
View attachment 85540

You will with Forscan.
You did get an adapter with HS/MS switch or automatic bus selection right?

Forscan should communicate with:
Pcm, ipc, sjb, abs, and epas. I cant think of anything else.
The radio may or may not show up.

Ford PCM does not care what modules are missing as far as I know. Only need IPC (cluster) for PATS and pcm.

Last edited:

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
You will with Forscan.
You did get an adapter with HS/MS switch or automatic bus selection right?

Forscan should communicate with:
Pcm, ipc, sjb, abs, and epas. I cant think of anything else.
The radio may or may not show up.

Ford PCM does not care what modules are missing as far as I know. Only need IPC (cluster) for PATS and pcm.
thanks, I did get the recommended OBDlink EX adaptor (you're speaking a foreign language to me now! I don't know what HS/MS is...). I have the free Windows download of FORscan. I do not have a clue how to use it yet. I did plug it in but it is a bit overwhelming to me. Gonna have to play with it a bit I guess to figure it all out.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Did Forscan connect to the car?
Post a screenshot of Forscan.

HS is the High speed bus. This is the main comm network. This is where to tool talks to the PCM.
MS is the medium speed bus, on mine, the SJB is on this bus.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
thanks, I did get the recommended OBDlink EX adaptor (you're speaking a foreign language to me now! I don't know what HS/MS is...). I have the free Windows download of FORscan. I do not have a clue how to use it yet. I did plug it in but it is a bit overwhelming to me. Gonna have to play with it a bit I guess to figure it all out.
FYI.............if you got the OBDLink EX adapter that the Forscan authors recommended, then you don't need to worry about the CANbus side of this as this adapter will automatically connect to the appropriate MS\HS CANbus to access whatever module you're telling Forscan to access across CANbus.

I myself have this adapter & it works flawless w\ Forscan.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Did Forscan connect to the car?
Post a screenshot of Forscan.

HS is the High speed bus. This is the main comm network. This is where to tool talks to the PCM.
MS is the medium speed bus, on mine, the SJB is on this bus.
thanks! I really appreciate all the help very much!
FORscan first log 2_2_23.png

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
I can't remember the details (ie, if it resulted in a no start until i rectified it), but i did a similar swap (80% of the guts of a crashed 2013 or so into a 2011 - coyote to coyote), and the RCM from the 2013 was crash locked. I had to drop it off to 'a guy' who had an interface that allowed him to rewrite the bits in the RCM to OEM (not crash tripped) status.

If it started with that RCM in the past however, it's probably not relevant (and you'll know after you clear all codes if you need to address this or not regardless).

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Ok, thats a shit-ton of codes.
Clear all DTC's and reconnect to the car. See what codes actually come back.
It looks like all modules are there and communicating, and that's good.
All the ABS codes are because I have not transferred the ABS system from the 12 yet. Most of the other DTCs say the were previously set and not present at time of request. There are also a lot from the tail lights and third brake light (which are not hooked up yet). I did find one very interesting however,
D106E-60
DTC B106E-60 FORscan.jpg
DTC B106E-60.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I think the GEM is a separate issue.
What I would like to see is PCM live data.

Click the wave line icon. You will need to select items to log, and than start the log.
Like to see items that are starter related. Like Clutch position, start request, PATS status, etc. Sorry, going from memory here.

Once you started the log, take a screen shot of Key on, and then crank attempt.

Note: on mine, the clutch position report is not accurate. I think it is a Forscan thing. As long as it changes when you press the clutch, its working. Mine never shows clutch at top position, but cruise works fine. So clearly that is not correct.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I think the GEM is a separate issue.
What I would like to see is PCM live data.

Click the wave line icon. You will need to select items to log, and than start the log.
Like to see items that are starter related. Like Clutch position, start request, PATS status, etc. Sorry, going from memory here.

Once you started the log, take a screen shot of Key on, and then crank attempt.

Note: on mine, the clutch position report is not accurate. I think it is a Forscan thing. As long as it changes when you press the clutch, its working. Mine never shows clutch at top position, but cruise works fine. So clearly that is not correct.
okay, thanks. I'll try that today

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I played around with a bunch of stuff but these were the start and or key related stuff I logged. The status didn't change when the key was switched to start from run. There was only couple related to clutch and they also didn't change when depressing the clutch. I could get throttle position and hear the throttle move, I could also get brake pedal signal. I was able to clear most of the DTCs except ABS and TPMS. there is no hood switch but i checked it also and log says its closed.
FORscan log starter stuff 2-4-23.jpgFORscan DTCs 2_4_23.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You said nothing was changing, you did click in the bottom to start logging correct?
Also, on the dropdown where it says "all", you can select pcm only.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
here is the starter circuit diagram.
Since you have an SJB power fault, is there power at C2280E? Does the starter relay and ignition switch have 12V?
starter.png

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
here is the starter circuit diagram.
Since you have an SJB power fault, is there power at C2280E? Does the starter relay and ignition switch have 12V?
View attachment 85553
I have 12+ volts at the #30 pin on the starter relay in the BEC all the time. C2280E, the WH-GN wire goes to pin #86 has no power in run or start. the yellow wire that goes to pin #85 in the relay also does not have power in run or start. C250, the BU-WH wire from the ignition switch start position does energize when the key is in start position. I can get power to that wire regardless if the clutch is depressed or not.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back