4.0 to 3.7 V6 swap

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
That is why I recommend Forscan.
You can watch in live data when you try to crank it. If that works, no need to troubleshoot it going to the pcm from the key.
You can read fault codes. If there is an active PATS code, it will never crank. Maybe as simple as a "reset adaptations" on the PCM. This re-establishes the handshake between the PCM and Instrument cluster (where the keys are stored).
You did install the 12 cluster correct? What keys are you using? The 07 keys do work for the 12, but would need to be pats programmed. Again, need Forscan.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
There is a single black wire, with a connector near the BEC. Thata the one that triggers the starter.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Starter works when I jump it. When I jump it with key on it cranks but makes no attempt to start. I can hear fuel pump prime. I have a cheap scanner from a parts store and there are no codes. Nothing flashing on the dash. I can only guess it's something to do with PATs. I guess I will look into getting FOREscan

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
By the way, I swapped everything! I'm using the 12 key, dash, steering column, cluster, BEC, SJB, ALL the wiring, PCM, seat belt modules, fuel tank, seats, seat belts, rear axle, brakes, engine and trans, EVAP, window motors, door locks, everything.
the red indicator of a car with pad lock comes on when the gauges do their sweep but it goes right out. It doesn't come back on or flash when trying to crank it.
The car should realistically not know it isn't a 2012 Mustang...

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Forscan for diagnostics only is free. (Windows)
For programming you need license.
App for phone is NOT free, but only a few bucks. Does not program.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Forscan for diagnostics only is free. (Windows)
For programming you need license.
App for phone is NOT free, but only a few bucks. Does not program.
thanks, I have the Windows free version. I'll see what it tells me when the cable gets here. I will upgrade for programming if it works for diagnosing. Thanks again!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
DTC's will be read at the time you connect, once the scan completes, just click on the DTC icon to see what is there (if any)

Next, You will want to go to "live data", and then select all the items you want to see if they are working. Starter, clutch position, etc.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
DTC's will be read at the time you connect, once the scan completes, just click on the DTC icon to see what is there (if any)

Next, You will want to go to "live data", and then select all the items you want to see if they are working. Starter, clutch position, etc.
thanks, I have a parts store "reader" and it says there are no DTC's. It does see the VIN, and history of the 2012 doner car. I hope FOREscan will help diagnose the no-crank issue, otherwise I have a ready big paper weight...

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
thanks, I have a parts store "reader" and it says there are no DTC's. It does see the VIN, and history of the 2012 doner car. I hope FOREscan will help diagnose the no-crank issue, otherwise I have a ready big paper weight...
Relax, its probably something simple. You are basically troubleshooting a stock 2012.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Relax, its probably something simple. You are basically troubleshooting a stock 2012.
Thank you and yes, this is true. It's just frustrating. The mechanical part I am very comfortable with. This kind of trouble is why I swapped everything. I thought I could avoid electronic/computer problems!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back