GT/CS rear bumper paint

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the rear bumper on my '09 GT with one from the California Special. The body shop just called to double check how I wanted it painted.
They were concerned that it's textured all the way around the sides at the bottom, and that it might look odd.
Here's the part number we used:
7R3Z-17K835-AAPTM

I've tried to find LARGE pictures of the sides of a GT/CS rear bumper to see if it's textured, but haven't been successful yet.
I just want to make sure that:
1. We have the correct bumper (I'm going to inspect it first thing Monday morning).
2. We're painting it correctly.

Thanks!

rick@CJPonyParts

CJ Pony Parts
Official Vendor
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a GT500 rear bumper. They look the same accept the texture on the side of the GT500s which was originally black on the GT500s.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
That bumper works fine, depending on how it was shipped, the lower half is usually masked off. If not, there is a fine guide line that runs along the exhaust outlet so mask off. On the GT/CS you paint the sides, it is a rougher texture on the bottom, but that is normal. Just has to be prepped a bit.

89027_800px.jpg

Ford_Mustang_GT-CS_DV-07_C_01.jpg

GT500 (unpainted all around)

lrs-20049b_6168.jpg

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information!
.... Just has to be prepped a bit.
What does that mean, exactly? Sanded smooth, or just some filler primer? Or...
If they did nothing and just painted it as-is, would it look ridiculous? Or would it even be noticeable?
Sorry, I don't know much about bodywork. I just want to make sure I have the body shop do the right thing.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Needs to be sanded/smoothed a bit. If you look at a factory GT/CS you will see the paint on the bottom is a little dull and textured a bit. They didn't smooth it all the way from Ford, and there really isn't a reason too since its not too noticeable.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Ford parts shows a different part number for GT/CS and GT500. It's close, but different. The price difference is quite a bit, GT500 is like $100 more.

danzcool

Reaction score
GT-CS and GT500 are the same rear bumper, it's just the masking that's different. There are multiple part numbers for it depending on which channel you buy it through. To get the best finish, yeah, have the sides sanded smooth, however I don't believe Ford did that at the factory and just painted over the textured area.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back