Gunk on my oil cap

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
So i changed my oil yesterday. I was at 2500mi. however with winter upon us i thought might as well get it done. When i took my cap out it had this milky/brownish gunk on it. There was no trace or anything out of the ordinary in the oil that came out of engine. Does anyone know what this is and why it happens?
Thanks ppl!

b572872b52fc74f7417e7e8cb479ffe7.jpg

698c6cbd8f12518f1581af09604c059f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Condensation caused by multiple short trips without any long trips. In order to burn that off you need to keep the engine running at operating temps long enough for that gunk to evaporate.

With only 2500 miles on the oil you can leave it alone and do it next year IMO.

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks, skwerl! There was nothing out of the ordinary in the old oil so i figured there was nothing to panic about, yet still wanted to know what caused this. I know, but just decided on the oil change.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Even running E85 you should not get that much condensation.

Looks you're running a Whipple, Added any coolant to either the overflow or IC reservoir?

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Even running E85 you should not get that much condensation.

Looks you're running a Whipple, Added any coolant to either the overflow or IC reservoir?

Yes i do have a whipple. No, everything is at the correct fill level as well as all other fluids.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I get that on all of my vehicles, especially during the winter. Like someone else posting earlier about multiple short trips, and never getting the oil up to temp long enough to evaporate the condensation. And usually after any road trip over an hour, it's clean again.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Condensation caused by multiple short trips without any long trips. In order to burn that off you need to keep the engine running at operating temps long enough for that gunk to evaporate.

With only 2500 miles on the oil you can leave it alone and do it next year IMO.

Yes i do have a whipple. No, everything is at the correct fill level as well as all other fluids.

I get that on all of my vehicles, especially during the winter. Like someone else posting earlier about multiple short trips, and never getting the oil up to temp long enough to evaporate the condensation. And usually after any road trip over an hour, it's clean again.

Everyone gets chocolate milk, no biggie.

One more "that's what happens with short trips in cold weather where the motor doesn't get warm enough to evaporate condensation". It is more pronounced with a blower.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
it's just short trips. I always let it reach temp and open the thermostat. Clean it and get plenty of long trips.

Coosawjack

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmm no idea... How would i check?

Is it even hooked up??

Do you have vent filters on valve covers or hoses?? If vent filters PCV is not hooked up....if hoses possibly not working properly!!

Photos of each side of the engine will help!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back