Harness installation

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Im installing the Sparco harness bar in my car for auto-x events, but I have a question about mounting the lap belts. Does anyone know the size/ pitch of the stock seatbelt T-50 Seatbelt mounting bolts? I want to replace them with eye bolts and clips for mounting the harness so it can be removed easily. Also, some ideas on the best way to mount the lap belts would be appreciated. I was going to order some stuff from here

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Lap Belts, as long as they lay flat across your hips and dont bind then they are ok. Over the shoulder should be +/- 15 degrees from the top of the shoulder. Sub blets something like no more then 30 degrees from the bottom of your seat.

Are you putting these belts on your stock seats? You'd be better off with your factory 3 point if you are.

Check HMS Motorsports, they have really good write ups for how belts should be installed.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
yeah, im thinking of just selling the bar and harness and getting a cg lock. im already using a chest belt.

texasmustang65

forum member
Reaction score
the tread size is 10mm. I have been looking around and you can't find much here in the states, at least the normal places. Some guys have been getting some from a place in the UK http://www.rallynuts.com/installation-hardware/harness-eye-bolts.html. I have been looking at McMaster Carr and they have some 10mm eye bolts in galvanized steel that have a load rating of 1600lbs. They also have some stainless ones but only a 370lbs rating http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpose-eyebolts/=gqlao7. I would think these should work, but I'm not really sure.

Downs

forum member
Reaction score
The number of G's you would experience in a crash would far exceed the 370 lb load rating on those stainless bits. I would also be weary of using a Chest belt on anything but an autocross track or something like that. You need to be able to rotate slightly during a collision to keep from submarining. At least that's my understanding of how the 3 point seat belts work in most cars.

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
does anyone have pics of how theirs are installed?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
No pics handy, but I'm bolted through the floor with backup plates top and bottom. The most important thing is keeping the belts at the right angle, and having proper harness guides to avoid having them slip around in the event of a crash. With stock seats, you will NEVER get the proper anti-sub angle, and without some sort of guide for the shoulder belts, I would worry about those slipping as well. Think "safety system" rather than just the individual parts, and you'll get the idea.

There was a discussion about this, a little over a year ago... LINK.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
^^This is going to be for strictly autocross use only. even if i ran a track event, i would be using my stock 3 pt

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
For my 2011, the bolts used to mount the factory belt to the seat and the body are 10Mx1.5. You may have to look around, but you should be able to find hardened (10.9) bolts that are roughly the equivalent of SAE Grade 8.

As already mentioned, I would not use stainless hardware.

I'm in the process of fitting a lap belt (2 points) that will be worn under the factory seat belt. Primarily to keep my lower body from bouncing around. Tried and finally gave up on the CG-Lock as it keep coming off the seat belt tongue.

The 3" lap belts are bolt-through and I'm planning on clamping the mounting tabs under the factory belt mounts with the slightly longer hardened hardware.

Francis

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back