head unit/amp question

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
This isn't in my mustang, but it's a basic car stereo question, so I figure I could get some good info here.

I haven't messed with car stereo stuff in like 20 years, but I recently added an amp and a 10" sub into my F550 truck, behind the rear seat. My current setup is an old Pioneer double din head unit, a Blaupunkt 750W (AMP7502) bridged, pushing a Rockford Fosgate 10" R2 ultra shallow 4 ohm sub, in a custom box. It sounds way better than what it did, but I know I need to mess around with the settings a bit more.

My question is about head units. I am wanting to replace current with an Atoto F7 unit, but I noticed that the sub out is only listed as 0.8V. I thought sub out's were supposed to be around 4-5V? Will I need to get a preamp to boost this signal power?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The 0.8v outputs will drive an amplifier fine. The higher voltage outputs were for cleaner sound. Voltage outputs on units like the Eclipse units I ran were 8 volt and one had a preamp option of running at 16v. This allowed amplifiers to be operated at much lower gain level adjustments which made for less distortion. Driving down the road you would not likely know the difference. For the 0.8V you will simply need to increase the gain setting on the amplifier for your application. This was all with regard to the early 2000's. A lot may have and has changed since I traded in my audio system for boost. If you want to spend money there are preamps available. I ran one on the last system I did (Eclipse NAV unit) that had low outputs of around 1v as I recall. Can't remember the preamp brand but it was well known for crossovers, preamps, and soforth.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back