HELP needed - identifying engine noise

Burke

Reaction score
Okay so I need some help here identifying this sound that cropped up over the past week.

Started noticing it in the enclosed space of the garage right before I would pull out in the morning to go to work – at first I thought I was just hearing things. Finally realized I could hear it coming from underneath the car (a rythmic 'tapping') stopped at a light next to another car, with the radio down I realized I could hear it ‘bouncing’ off their car.

When I got my first S197 at the end of 2004, and my brother and his wife got theirs, I learned that these 3 valves can be ‘noisy‘ and they have their own unique sound running with the hood up. Well to me, this sounds like that sound amplified – a light metallic ‘tapping’ or ‘tak-tak-tak-tak’.

The sound is there at idle (starts about 1 second after the engine turns over) and increases and decreases with the rpms.

Initially I thought it was from underneath the car as I said, because you can clearly hear it standing next to the car at idle. Last night I popped the hood while it was running in the garage and listened, comparing the passenger side to the drivers side – it is obviously coming from only the drivers side and back by the firewall (general location of the #8 cylinder I guess although its hard to hear exactly with the SC spinning.)

Only things changed on the car recently was the HT0 sparkplug install back around 4th of July.

This has been going on all week and the car has shown no signs of driving differently – power is the same, no stumbles, etc…. (which is why I ruled out the sparkplugs)

It’s obviously something I need to have looked at in a shop but I wanted to get people’s impressions and if they have had anything similar occur.

Below is a quick vid I took last night starting from under the car and then into the engine bay – you need to try and tune out the clatter from the Saleen in the engine bay but once you do, the sound (clicking) is evident. And in person it is definitely louder than it sounds on the video.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/Burke0011/?action=view&current=MVI_3255.flv

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
Check that the spark plugs have not backed up and loosened. It kind of sounds like and exhaust leak to me but it is hard to tell from Vid

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
cant hear anything. exhaust leaks tick

Burke

Reaction score
Check that the spark plugs have not backed up and loosened. It kind of sounds like and exhaust leak to me but it is hard to tell from Vid

COOL

I will do that tonight as soon as I get home from work

(and now that I think about it, I believe we did have problems getting that number 8 plug in there and getting it to seat right when we were putting in the HT0s....)

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
HELP needed - identifying engine noise
The engine noise is the part that goes "vroom vroom vroom"... other noises like the stereo goes "la la la la". With some experience, you can tell them apart. :thumb:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
haahaaaaaaaa

Burke

Reaction score
The engine noise is the part that goes "vroom vroom vroom"... other noises like the stereo goes "la la la la". With some experience, you can tell them apart. :thumb:

See THAT one I figured out already

mostly because it kept going AFTER I shut the car off... but that was just me sitting behind the wheel making the exhaust and shifting noises myself (and pretending I'm Frank Bullitt)

:roflmao:

:beer:

Burke

Reaction score
D A M N I love when things actually come together

The answer is?

Exhaust leak - through the number 8 plug
(06gt4rad is the winner!)

Pulled off the coil pack, slide the socket and extension down there to run the plug out to check it

Turn the extension to the right waiting for it to thread onto the plug - it just turns.......

WTF?

Slide it out and slide a finger in there - touch the top of the plug - it wiggles the tiniest bit

Torque it to 25lbs like the Haynes manual says

Reconnect coilpack and injector - fire it up

NORMAL engine noise

No tapping

banana.gif

MAAAAN was I worried it was something major - yet (and I am no expert) all the evidence seemed to point towards some sort of exhaust leak and that was it

THANKS so much to everyone who posted to lend a hand!!

I'm goin drivin this afternoon
:rockon:

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to go see if that is what is causing my noise, it's not as loud as yours at idle but last night on the interstate when alongside a semi, I could hear a very loud tapping. It almost sounded like a spark knock though.

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score
Glad i could help. It also helps to have experienced this issue previously. Mine however did not turn out so nice.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back