HELP, T56 swap cant get transmission mated to bell housing

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
HELP, T56 swap cant get transmission mated to bell housing
I cant get my new T56 Magnum XL the last half inch forward to mate it to the bell housing, I have double checked the clutch alignment and made sure the transmission its self isn't hitting anything, is there any trick to getting it the rest of the way in, I guess its not lined up perfectly with the pilot bearing? I am really at a loss as far as what to do ive pushed lifted and jiggled the thing till my arms went numb.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Get a hand, someone that could turn the engine on the balancer as you wiggle it a little and it should slide in.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I have tried turning the engine with the balancer, also tried pumping the clutch, this dam thing will not move, the dowpins are just started everything is lined up i don't know what else to do at this point. only thing I can think of is start taking things back apart to see whats going on and why it wont go the rest of the way

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure the transmission is perfectly aligned? I ran into this when putting a trans in, and it was not perfectly aligned, and the input shaft was not in the clutch teeth. I 'forced' it together using bolts, and it broke the clutch.
So, don't force it together!!!

I1 on turning the engine, or even turning the output shaft of the trans with it in gear, so that the input shaft can turn and get better-aligned.

tnsaleen

forum member
Reaction score
Pumping the clutch was a bad idea IMO. If it wasn't already mated, pumping the clutch could have caused the clutch disc to fall and not be aligned any more. I would pull it back out, check the alignment with the tool provided, and try again.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure the clutch was aligned, turning the engine with the balancer rotated the transmission output, i think whats happening is its not aligning with the pilot bearing but i cant figure out why.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
GM T56 input shafts have a different diameter than Fords. Did you check to see if it fits in the pilot bearing?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I've had issues with two of these where the dowel pins were to big to go into holes that were undersized because of the powdercoat. I clearanced the holes and they slid right on.

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL I remember putting my t56 in. I had the car on jackstands and I was laying on the floor under the car and rotated and giggled it into place. Took about 10 min.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back