Hesitation/Misfire feeling at 2k-3k RPM's, About to burn the car down!

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ok Im at my last straw with this concern, Im a ford driveability tech and im stumped.

Mods are: Accufab TB, JLT CAI, Pypes long tubes with x pipe, no resonators, bassani catback, FRPP 47 IB injectors, boss intake manifold, E85

The concern only happened after I installed the Accufab throttle body and Pypes LT headers. Ran it for maybe 100 miles on 91 octane and then swapped back to E85 and have been on it for around 150 miles today.

Maybe 60 miles after swapping to E85 driveing home from work noticed at 2k-3kish RPM's in all gears part throttle there to be a hesitation/surgeing/ misfire feeling, almost feels like the brakes are just dragging randomly but the engine is doing it (if that makes sense).

Noticed on the next startup in the morning there was a CEL on, checked with SCT handheld and found p0300. Went into work early on a saturday before heading off to the track and hooked up the IDS. P2197 was set in on demand DTC's and P0300 was in CMDTC's. Performed multiple relative compression checks and found 0% loss on all cylinders. Pulled plugs and found all to look ok. Checked for exhaust leaks with smoke and pressureized air and found none. Checked for vaccum leaks and found none. Checked fuel pressure and found within specs. Went to check my pids and found 02S21 was reading around 16.5 and 02S11 was at around 14.0-14.5. Had another set of brand new 02S's and swapped one out on the passenger side. Reset KAM and found 02S21 to richen back up to around 14.0-14.5 just like bank 1. Drove to the track and ran the car and everything was fine for about a week and another 45 miles.

Same thing happened again, this time with no CEL, I could just feel it like clockwork everytime in that part throttle 2k-3k RPM range. Hooked up IDS again and found this time 02S21 to be at around 26.0 and 02S11 around 14.5-14.0. Rechecked everything and performed a good visual inspection and still nothing. Swapped drivers sensor to passenger sensor side and found concern to follow onto bank 1 when monitoring with IDS. Swapped that sensor out with the other spare I had since I purchased 2 new ones. All was ok for about 30 miles.

Started the car up this morning and always let it idle outside for around 10 mins before I get going. Jumped on the freeway to get to the E85 pump and 3rd gear at 4k RPM's started doing the same concern, CEL popped on and I limped back home. Pulled code's with SCT tuner and found p0155. Pulled codes with my personal OBD2 scanner and found P0155 and P0050. Cleared codes and disconnected battery, started vehicle and put about 2 miles on it and pulled back home, shut it off and restarted and CEL popped back on with same 2 DTC's. Followed the PC/ED for PPT series DZ for P0155 and P0050. All harness checks passed, even performed all the tests on both the drivers side upstream 02S connector and passenger side 02S connector. Found pinpoint tests to fail 02S21 due to component resistance check on pins 3 to 4. Failing at over 10k ohms and spec is .8-6 ohms.

I then checked the resistance of one of the other faulty sensor's I replaced and found them both within specs, so I swapped one back in. Concern was still present from the first shift from 1st to 2nd and every other time after that. But no matter how many miles or key cycles no DTC's. (Only have my livelink datalogger to use due to work being closed today). Checked my a/f lambda readings and found bank 1 at 1.00 and bank 2 at 1.32-1.45. (this is with previous faulty sensor reinstalled to see if heater DTC's come back).

So If your still with me and not thinking :why:

3 Faulty 02S's or Something else that I just can not find??

-Thomas

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I would do as above loook at the )2 extensions if using them, andthe TB. Also could nbe in the tune. I had a BBR tune on my manual that threw this code a lot. Once Kdanner tuned my manual I never had it. Even after I did a full dyno tune never had it. This was with less mods as you and with same mods.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
No 02S extensions.

Im going to swap out the TB today after work. Just can not grasp how the TB could be killing 02S.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
No 02S extensions.

Im going to swap out the TB today after work. Just can not grasp how the TB could be killing 02S.

-Thomas

There was another guy having issues with his Accufab TB also...went back to stock and his issue went away.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ill swap back to stock TB after I switch back to 91 octane to see if that helps. Car has fresh plugs in it also.

-Thomas

travelers

Reaction score
I had a problem with the O2s with the ARH and we had to change the heat time on the O2s on my '07. Also I'm not sure if the E85 O2s are different then non-E85s.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have heard of more than a few reporting similar issues and had accufab tb. That's my guess for the culprit. Just like many others have said

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
This isn't an issue with the TB. A TB isn't going to throw o2 sensor codes. The problem is running e85 and the condensation generated shorting the o2 sensors. The location of the front sensors with most LT's act as a water trap shorting them out. Relocating the sensors is the solution.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
This isn't an issue with the TB. A TB isn't going to throw o2 sensor codes. The problem is running e85 and the condensation generated shorting the o2 sensors. The location of the front sensors with most LT's act as a water trap shorting them out. Relocating the sensors is the solution.

Where should the 02S's be relocated on the pypes LT's then? Really would like to figure out a fix for this so I can still run E85 other then only track days.

-Thomas

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
Joe, Helrazr, has had this same issue. It started after the header install. His doesnt burn thru the o2s as fast, but its got that lil bit of hesitation in the 2500 rpm range, you can just feel it. His 02s last 6 months or so but its not a daily driver. He is chasing it down, but seems to be in the tune.

Let me know what you come up with

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Joe, Helrazr, has had this same issue. It started after the header install. His doesnt burn thru the o2s as fast, but its got that lil bit of hesitation in the 2500 rpm range, you can just feel it. His 02s last 6 months or so but its not a daily driver. He is chasing it down, but seems to be in the tune.

Let me know what you come up with

OP's issue was solved by moving back to gasoline. This is a physical problem with O2 sensor placement, not the tune.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yea switching back to 91 octane for the last 500 miles I have not had a single issue.

I actually started to look around the headers more and notice that my bank 2 header is not bent right. It is not level with the under side of the car and is bent down more. The 02s is actually angled upward slightly. In the next couple weekends ill be putting a new bung on that header and angleing it downward then swapping back to e85 and see how it goes.

-Thomas

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The excess condensation in the exhaust from the E85. Ill try and get some pics, but the header is flawed on the drivers side.

-Thomas

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back