HID for Fog lights?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am attempting to install a H10 HID kit for my fog lights. Everything is hooked up properly but they do not turn on.

The headlights had a power wire run to the battery, but the H10 kit for the fogs doesnt. Is there a way to get this to work or should i box it up and send it back?

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know they do some weird shit with foglights and such. They patch them into the highbeam circuit sometimes so that when the high beams come on, the foglights go out. Get a schematic of the foglight wiring and check it out very good before going any farther.

Your best bet is to take the +12 that is going to feed the foglights and then use that to control an on/off relay. The feed for the relay could then come from any +12V on all the time source (battery). That way you shouldn't pull too much current and blow fuses.

BTW, check all of your fuses because if the ballasts on the HIDs pulled too much current it probably took out a fuse.

Hope this helps.

Mike

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know they do some weird shit with foglights and such. They patch them into the highbeam circuit sometimes so that when the high beams come on, the foglights go out. Get a schematic of the foglight wiring and check it out very good before going any farther.

Your best bet is to take the +12 that is going to feed the foglights and then use that to control an on/off relay. The feed for the relay could then come from any +12V on all the time source (battery). That way you shouldn't pull too much current and blow fuses.

BTW, check all of your fuses because if the ballasts on the HIDs pulled too much current it probably took out a fuse.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike if i plug in the stock bulbs, they work perfectly, so fuses are good. So basically your tellnig me to get an automotive relay, similar to the one used by my electric water pump, and wire the for lights power wires to the relay, and wire the relay to the battery?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this was said on TMS

You'll then want to tap into the main power block for the startup power. Your foglight circuit only serves to energize the lights, but doesn't actually power them (the 10 gauge wire to your power block does).

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mike if i plug in the stock bulbs, they work perfectly, so fuses are good. So basically your tellnig me to get an automotive relay, similar to the one used by my electric water pump, and wire the for lights power wires to the relay, and wire the relay to the battery?

Yes.

The power that would normally go to the foglights will simply close or open the relay (assuming a normally open relay). Then the circuit that the relay completes will be wired to the battery and then your lights.

Here is a good picture of what a simple relay does:

http://www.w8ji.com/images/Relay/relay Open frame1.jpg

The round thing in the middle is an electro magnet typically denoted by a coil. This is where the power from the existing foglights would go.

The bottom terminal is where the 12V from the battery would connect.

Now this relay provides both a normally open terminal and a normally closed terminal in one package.

The normally open terminal is B

The normally closed terminal is A

When you power the electromagnet, it pulls the arm downward and then it makes contact with B while breaking contact with A.

Hope this helps.

Mike

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the relay worked. i have HID's for Headlights and Fog lights

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
congrats.... lets see how long it takes you to break these!

:roflmao:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
headlights? they arent gonna break. i did the wiring myself lol

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i may not understand electricity, volts amps ect, but i am a very good wire guy

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very cool man!! Glad you got it working.

BTW... I have broke something you haven't :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back