High Amp Fuse Holders / Battery Relocation

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
So today I ran the 3 battery (welding) cables through the interior of the vehicle back to the trunk. For those that have done this before I am sure you can appreciate that this, if done neatly and correctly, is easier said than done on a vehicle which still has all the factory interior installed. Prior to running these cables the floor pan should be carefully inspected for burrs sticking up that could puncture the jacketing on the cable and create a short circuit. All cables were routed laying flat on the floor pan. None of the cables were crossed and all 3 of these cables were loosely tie strapped together to keep them in the original location that they were installed in. All carpeting and interior trip panels have been reinstalled and there are no telltale signs of these cables running under the carpeting. Passenger seat still adjusts fore & aft without any interference from the cables. Here's some pictures
100_1658.jpg

100_1657.jpg

100_1656.jpg

100_1655.jpg

100_1659.jpg

100_1660.jpg

100_1662.jpg

I am planning on mounting the battery in the center of the trunk compartment directly behind the rear seats. Here the spot I'm referring to.
100_1663.jpg

Trunk mat has temporarily been reinstalled while I wait for the Odyssey billet aluminum battery tray, battery and battery disconnect switch to arrive
100_1664.jpg

I know y'all are going to find this impossible to believe, but currently I have about 16 hours invested in this project (8 hours in the planning and locating all the components I intend on using and another 8 hours of installation to get to this point) and expect to have another 8 hours to complete this project. Still have the battery & battery tray to mount, custom fuse panel/disconnect switch panel to fabricate and install, and completion of all the battery cables back in the trunk compartment.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe it, I know I have spent way more time working on my car then driving it and I didn't build or install my own engine. I am hoping this year I will drive/race more that work on it.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I know y'all are going to find this impossible to believe, but currently I have about 16 hours invested in this project (8 hours in the planning and locating all the components I intend on using and another 8 hours of installation to get to this point) and expect to have another 8 hours to complete this project. Still have the battery & battery tray to mount, custom fuse panel/disconnect switch panel to fabricate and install, and completion of all the battery cables back in the trunk compartment.

I can beleive it 100 % ,if you want it clean and correct then you have to take the time to do it right . Looks good so far !

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
its funny how when you start a project, it feels like it wont take that long....then when you add it all up you realize just how much you really spent.....i know i spent 40-50 hours on just reloacting my ecu and fuse box.....and that was only the passenger side.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Fuse/Battery Disconnect Switch panel completed and ready to be installed
100_1669.jpg

100_1668.jpg

100_1670.jpg

akula52

forum member
Reaction score
time

I took me about 16-20 hours to get mine done, so I know what you mean, and I didn't have a shaker 1000 to deal with. You always do very nice work and great write-ups! Thanks!

Oh, I am going to re-route that one ground line someday, it looks better than the picture shows

Attachments

• DSC02082.JPG
    DSC02082.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I took me about 16-20 hours to get mine done, so I know what you mean, and I didn't have a shaker 1000 to deal with. You always do very nice work and great write-ups! Thanks!

Thanks

I am very fortunate that I don't have to use the vehicle for a daily driver and can take as long as want to document the task at hand

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Dang you always go all out on your stuff! That panel with the 2 fuse holders and shut-off looks great!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Dang you always go all out on your stuff! That panel with the 2 fuse holders and shut-off looks great!

Once again thanks...

took about 4 hours to layout, cut, trim, drill, assemble and install signage on the disconnect switch key & panel.

Disconnect switch is rated at 1000 amps continuous duty!! Key is also removable. Switch only cost me $50.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Subscribing for future project
You have some of the best write-ups, thanks for sharing

Question, where are you mounting that panel?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Mounting a panel in itself sounds painful especially if there's sharp edges, but do we really need pictures?

:roflmao:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
No sharp edges - all corners have been rounded off to make it child proof.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
After thinking about how I was going to do my battery shutoff for racing I decided to extend the alternator wire to the trunk and do a 2-pole as well. I don't like the fact that people say the solenoid gets hot when doing it that way and I also don't want to splice into the ignition wires either so I decided to keep it simple.

Why did you put that warning to disconnect the Aeroforce gauges before killing the power? Will it damage them or the PCM?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Why did you put that warning to disconnect the Aeroforce gauges before killing the power? Will it damage them or the PCM?

To remind me that the Aeroforce Interceptor User's Manual states:

"Precautions,
Unplug the Interceptor before disconnecting the battery or performing engine work to prevent damage to the unit"

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Question, where are you mounting that panel?

Stay tuned...
When choosing a mounting location for the fuse/disconnect switch panel and battery, I had certain criteria that needed to be met:

• Easy to install
  • Easy to access for maintenance (turning disconnect switch off/on and replacing fuses)
  • Non intrusive into the main trunk compartment
  • Keep battery cables short and neat as possible
  • Centered (more or less) in the body - not off in a corner of the body
Keep in mind I have a Shaker 1000 sub box in my trunk compartment that is still fully functional.

So here's where I mounted it. Battery mount is laid in place for reference
100_1679.jpg

Here's a complete picture of the battery mount.
100_1678.jpg

Since I'm using a sealed dry cell battery there is no need to vent the battery

Lastly I disconnected the 2 (+) battery cables that were run up to the front of the vehicle (Starter/BEC & Alternator) and checked each cable to make sure there were no unwanted shorts due to a inadvertently chaffing a cable. All is good.

Battery that will be used is an Odyssey PS1200LMJT. Measures 6.80" x 6.66" x 7.87" (HxWxL) and has 1200 CCAs.

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Battery Tray mounted
100_1683.jpg

100_1690.jpg

Battery and hold down clear back of seat by 1/4"
100_1685.jpg

View from trunk
100_1688.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Taylor 21504 Remote Battery Jumper Terminals will allow the battery to be charged without having to directly access the battery
100_1692.jpg

PLee

forum member
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Reminds of a '67 Mustang fastback project I worked on- we put an '07 GT500 motor in the car w/ the battery located in the trunk. I ran a single 1/0 gauge cable to the front and split it there- alt, starter, etc. with a similar-style high-amperage fuse holder like you are using. I took the wire direct to the starter, and a smaller gauge wire from the starter to the alternator. Worked like a charm! Only thing I'd have done differently in your install would have been to wrap the entire length of the cables w/ wire loom. I use the flexible braided stuff (Tech Flex). Just me being paranoid... there's lotsa sharp edges inside these cars. Oh- and I solder and crimp the ring terminals to the cable... messy and requires lotsa heat, but creates an impeccable connection. Looks awesome- I really dig the fuse holder/switch panel and where you put it!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back