High speed crusing???

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Heres the situation. Im in the military stationed in Germany right now. Im about to get a 6-Speed 2011 5.0. My current car is a 2006 C6 Corvette. I can pretty much cruise at 120-130 all day long in that car and I know it doesnt put too much strain on the LS2. How will the new 5.0 take high speed cruising??? Please no stupid smart ass comments about safe driving. Fiats and opels cruise faster than that over here and its pretty safe overall. Basically just need to know how the overall strain on the engine on the 5.0 compares to the pushrod 6.0 when driven at high crusing speeds. Thanks in advance.

-Nick

Shockey

Reaction score
Man what a great set-up you have, love the Autobahn. Why is it that Germans can grasp the concept of the left lane being only for the faster cars and Americans can't.All I can tell you is that my 5.0 has the 3.73 gears and at 80 it is turning 2400 rpm's so maybe the 3.31 gears would be better for high speed cruising.If you are interested... the 3.73 gears at 80mph I get 25mpg.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
this motor will not be strained by the 150hp it takes to cruise at 130mph.

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
I drive my 4.6 at >120 for hours on end here in germany, its great, the motor should hold up fine. Often going to racing events, racewars, is a 4 hour drive from my part of germany and last time my average speed was ~130mph.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Great to hear. I originally came to Germany with a 5 speed GT. It didn't seem to like to be cruised above 110-120. So I just thought I would ask if the 5.0 would be a little smoother. FYI the 5.0 I'm looking at is a base model with the 3.31's. So from the sounds of the replies I have gotten thus far I think I will be ok with 130-140 cruises :) thanks for all the replies this far

-nick

05yellowgt

Reaction score
It's VERY time consuming and VERY expensive for native German's to get their license to get on the Autobahn. Not just anyone with a license can drive on it. We should do the same thing here. I know it will never happen, but one can always dream.

ryanralston07

forum member
Reaction score
Why can't we have an Autobahn here in the states!?
We aren't used to moving fast...or blitzkriegs :roflmao::kidding:

I love the autobahn...took a M3 up to 175mph over there and cruised for awhile at 140 lol almost top speed with my factory governor :thud:

Last edited:

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
yeah the more i think about it, i dont think the 5.0 will last at the speeds we drive, I tell you what, buy the 5.0 and i will trade you for my 4.6 and i will live with the slower, I mean, better car. :p

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
In relation to the high-speed cruise question, did I miss the 'big oil discussion?' As in, use one grade higher than recommended for durability under load/heat? That was the recommendation for the 4.6...

If you are cruising that high, I'd service using the extreme duty portion of the MX table.

Brian

Last edited:

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, cruising at 150+ in my C6 on the autobahn is sometimes better than sex, lol. It also at the same time requires alot more concentration too though, lol.

When I used to roll up high like that with the 328 I had, got tiresome in a weird way. Maybe thinking about how small the larges piece of me the rescue squad would find had something to do with it...

My 4.6 would get up there, but you could feel the amount of wind it was pushing. The 4-door 328 pushed much less wind. If it wasn't governed at 155, it would probably go a bit more. Felt kinda weird, doing 155 with four in the car listening to tunes and running A/C. Like a walk in the park.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back