Holes in truck lid after removing the spoiler.

Broke :(
Reaction score
Hi, guys I need some help. I am wanting to remove my spoiler, but I need to know how big are the holes that are in the trunk lid after you remove it. The reason is I live in Germany and the hardware store that is near by does not sell the plastic plugs I was going to use to fill in the holes. So I need to know the size of the holes so I know which one's to order off the internet. I did a search and there are a lot of threads on how to remove the spoiler, but they didn't say how big the holes were. So if someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks!!!

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The holes are pretty small, but it's likely that the tape from the spoiler will leave a residue and may have even messed up some of the paint.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Hi, guys I need some help. I am wanting to remove my spoiler, but I need to know how big are the holes that are in the trunk lid after you remove it. The reason is I live in Germany and the hardware store that is near by does not sell the plastic plugs I was going to use to fill in the holes. So I need to know the size of the holes so I know which one's to order off the internet. I did a search and there are a lot of threads on how to remove the spoiler, but they didn't say how big the holes were. So if someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks!!!

Maybe like 3/8" IIRC. Haven't seen them in a while.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
I'd guess 3/8 th as well but it's been 2 years since I pulled my stocker off. The residue from the adhesive can be cleaned up too, just takes some elbow grease.

Just to warn ya too, even after it's unbolted, the adhesive is STRONG. I thought I was gonna break the wing pulling it off even after I had heated up the adhesive....

Broke :(
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I am not worried about the tape or if there is scratches, just I need the exact size of the hole!!! If anyone esle would now the exact size please let me know, if not I will try the 3/8 plugs and hope they are the right ones!!! Thanks!!!

TheSlow1

forum member
Reaction score
Pick up some bondo glass, put some tape over the holes on the outside and apply some of the bondo glass to the under side and let it dry. It will fill the holes an be fairly flush from the outside. Then a little but of touchup paint and your good to go

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I am not worried about the tape or if there is scratches, just I need the exact size of the hole!!! If anyone esle would now the exact size please let me know, if not I will try the 3/8 plugs and hope they are the right ones!!! Thanks!!!

When I went into advanced auto, they only plastic plug they had was the correct size.

Pick up some bondo glass, put some tape over the holes on the outside and apply some of the bondo glass to the under side and let it dry. It will fill the holes an be fairly flush from the outside. Then a little but of touchup paint and your good to go

If he had the time that would be a great idea.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Just to add on this, if/when you apply the tape on the top, press on it with your finger, otherwise the bondo will be level with the top of the trunk lid and the touchup paint won't look as nice.

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
I'd guess 3/8 th as well but it's been 2 years since I pulled my stocker off. The residue from the adhesive can be cleaned up too, just takes some elbow grease.

Just to warn ya too, even after it's unbolted, the adhesive is STRONG. I thought I was gonna break the wing pulling it off even after I had heated up the adhesive....

Fishing line and gloves to "cut" through the adhesive. Just go slowly moving it back and forth. It leaves a bit of adhesive behind after your done, but you don't have to strongman the wing off.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is easy enough to get the wing off but the holes are what is stopping me. I don't want to have to do the body work and get it painted

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Fishing line and gloves to "cut" through the adhesive. Just go slowly moving it back and forth. It leaves a bit of adhesive behind after your done, but you don't have to strongman the wing off.

For the v6 pony package and GT500 spoiler, you will need to tussle with it. lol. It took me 9 cigs, 4 beers, a knife, another knife, a can of adhesive remover, some fishing line, a shoe lace, and a lot of patience I didn't have to take off the pony package spoiler.. lol.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
pull the nuts off underneath. Shoot some goo-gone along side the pedestals. With some heavy fishing line, like 40 to 80 lb test, wrap a few feet around some wooden dowels, or a couple screwdrivers. Pull the line under the pedestal and lift up to keep the line off the paint of the deck lid. Slowly saw back and forth until you cut through. Goo-gone to get the rest of the adhesive up. A little polishing compound and some wax and you're good to go. Pretty sure a plug with a 3/8" barrel will be too big. Seems like IIRC the hole is around 1/4". I pulled the spoiler off the stripe my wife's car. Will be pulling the black one off to replace it with a Roush piece.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^ do you have any pictures of how that turned out for you? I would love to do this too!

I ended up screwing it up, which is why I now know to press the tape in a bit.

Honestly, this can get really out of control if you aren't careful. The factory paint is the thinnest shit ever. I wetsanded right through it with 2000 grit paper. Luckily, I had another trunk lid, so I could afford to mess that one up.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
when I pulled mine off 2 holes were one size and the other 2 were diff . So had to get 3 diff sizes of plastic plugs and paint them !

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back