Honest opinions on these small wheel spacers.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I love my GT/CS wheels, but wish the back spacing was a little better. I have slightly wider tires on the rears which helped, but if they came out just a little more I would be happy.

So a guy in my car club told me he is running these on his. http://www.brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1259609

EDIT: But would these be a better choice? http://www.maximummotorsports.com/18-thick-wheel-spacers-5-Lug-pair-1979-2013-Mustang-P576.aspx

My question is, are they really safe and okay to use being that they are so small?? I do not daily drive, or autocross my car, but I don't baby it. I have never ran spacers and I hear good and bad things about them.

Opinions are welcome please...

Last edited:

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Well they are most likely around 8mm spacers. You should not have any problems with them. Ive driven my car on stock studs with 8mm spacers from Autozone for 2 years now. maybe longer. Ive put 40,000 miles or more on them and had no problem. However, I noticed that they are expensive. You can get 8mm from Autozone for $20 a pair

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Had those spacers and ended up taking them off. They didn't sit perfectly flat. Also, when I had them on, I was getting an annoying chirp from my wheels.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Had those spacers and ended up taking them off. They didn't sit perfectly flat. Also, when I had them on, I was getting an annoying chirp from my wheels.
Did you try contacting the seller? They get pretty good customer service reviews. The guy in my club had no such issues.

Last edited:

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
Did you try contacting the seller? They get pretty good customer service reviews. The guy in my club had no such issues.

Yup. I did. He sent me a replacement set and I had the same issues. When I placed a level across them, there was probably 1/16 in concave to them. Not sure if that was the cause or not, but after trying two sets, and them causing the squeeking noise both times, I gave up on them.

Old thread regarding the issue and pics of the spacers:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84621&page=2

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
My first guess on the cause of the squeaking noise would be forgetting to remove the brake retaining clips.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I've used those in the past and had zero issues with them. My .02, but I would much rather go with MM over the Brembo50 versions.

Yeah, thinking I may give this a go. Reviews seem to be good, and they are only 1/8".

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
1/8"??? Sounds like no big deal to me. Those rear studs are SHORT though... Grab some ARP studs and run spacers to your heart's content.

Also, just F everybody's I, 1/8"=~3mm, not 8.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Personally, I would NEVER run a shim-type wheel spacer for any reason. They have a nasty side effect of giving your heavy wheel/tire additional leverage against the studs.

You might get away with a 2-3mm spacer and be okay, but really that would be for a slight rubbing issue. Aesthetically, there's almost no change with a shin that thin.

What you need for running C/S wheels is a hubcentric 1" spacer (25mm) like these.

CSwithspacers.jpg

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Personally, I would NEVER run a shim-type wheel spacer for any reason. They have a nasty side effect of giving your heavy wheel/tire additional leverage against the studs.

You might get away with a 2-3mm spacer and be okay, but really that would be for a slight rubbing issue. Aesthetically, there's almost no change with a shin that thin.

What you need for running C/S wheels is a hubcentric 1" spacer (25mm) like these.

I ran two axle sets of those H&R 25mm spacers on R-comp tires for autocrss. Very satisfying. I Blue-Loctited the spacer-to-hub fasteners, and they didn't budge.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score

I ran a similar set from Eibach for a couple of years on my 07 GT/CS with no problems.

Never run a spacer if it is not hubcentric.

This. I know from experience. Vibration city!

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
This. I know from experience. Vibration city!
Exactly what I don't want. For a performance car on 19's I think my car rides pretty good. I have no desire to add any unwanted vibrations, so I think I will pass on any sort of spacers. I plan on getting new wheels in about a year anyway.

Thanks for all the input guys.

mustangtcs

forum member
Reaction score
If you use those spacers your lug nuts will not thread as far on the studs. Also different wheels have different thickness' at the mounting surface between the lug nut and the rotor which may also give you less stud engagement. This is why NHRA requires open ended lug nuts when running sticky tires due to the stress put on the studs. The longer studs give full engagement and the track officials can see that because they extend past the lug nut. I would never run spacers and would just buy the right wheel/tire setup with the correct suspension. And if the wheels were not available in the size with the correct backspacing needed I would not buy them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back