How screwed is my paint ?!?

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get a porter cable as I can afford the flex and some stuff and slowly do it my self . I wanna learn how and save what I can. I am not going to try the sanding, but will try everything else to get by until I get a house and can have room to do it in a garage.

Last edited:

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
^Good luck. just take your time, do lots of research and again, take your time. Start with a small area and once you acquire the end results you desire, do the whole car with that combo. Some areas may need a little more aggressive approach, others, maybe not so much. I MAY have a porter cable for sale. Send me a PM if interested. I got it last christmas and have been wanting to jump up to a Flex.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Based on the pictures, I have corrected something that was in just as bad of a condition as your car is.

You will need to wetsand certain spots, and do a full 5 step correction at least 2 times.

I would use Megs. 105 and 205 to start, then use another aggressive polish. Each panel is going to take at least 10-20 minutes of work per stage of polishing.

To give you an idea.

Before:

d6ac51f6.jpg

ded99b27.jpg

After:
7f24e3a3.jpg

b064a981.jpg

Good Luck OP.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good grabber but thats definitely not clear coat failure in your befores.

I feel the OP should be able to get his clear back to about 85% without sanding down most of the remaining uv protection.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Looks good grabber but thats definitely not clear coat failure in your befores.

I feel the OP should be able to get his clear back to about 85% without sanding down most of the remaining uv protection.

Thanks man.

There were quite a few parts of this car that were.

The car is an 89 Porsche, and has been washed only through a Automated Car-wash, and has sat outside most of it's life. We actually had to cut into the remaining clearcoat a decent amount in order to correct this.

He has a decent shot at correcting most of his paint, but as you already mentioned, it will not be 100%. If he is lucky, he can get rid of most of the imperfections and bring a small amount of the original shine back, but, that is as far as I think it will go.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my DD Honda accord, and it's rough looks way worse. I'm going to try a few spots on that car first . And just keep a good coat of wax on the mustang until I get confident enough using the accord as a guinea pig.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
When you know what you're doing! I can't get the swirls off my paint no matter how I try :crazy:

I meant the vinyl.

As far as swirls go, its probably a combination of your technique, and materials.

If you go cheap, you'll get cheap results. If you go expensive and have a bad technique, you'll get bad results.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I'm more impatient than anything so that's probably why.

I like vinyl because it covers paint chips and if it gets messed up, you tear it off and apply a new one! I had this idea of putting on 3 wraps of vinyl on my car on top of each other and then I could just peel them as I go and look like I have new paint (yes I know this wouldn't work out well in practice).

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
Goodluck Newman! Im in the same boat as you. Black paint sucks during the day (all the imperfections come out) but looks awesome at night!

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got my stuff in yesterday, gonna practice on the Honda in a few places today . See what happens .

na7e9upu.jpg

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Slow and steady. Try moving about an inch a second. It also depends on how agressive of a polish/compound your are using.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Damn this is gonna take alot of practice

I had to practice on my brothers car first. Technique is the most important part of doing it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Damn this is gonna take alot of practice

Work in 2'x2' areas, going horizontally first, back and forth (kind've like an S pattern), then vertically, about 3 passes each way. Moving about 1" per second, until you are on your final 2-3 passes, then you can kick the speed up a little bit (your movement) to about 2-3" per second, while still maintaining enough pressure on the machine to right when you hear the motor bog ever so slightly (about 10lbs)

Watch this video

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's seems like it bogs down at any speed if I put hardly any pressure at all.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back