How screwed is my paint ?!?

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just did the trunk lid of my DD.

Results aren't as good as I would like . You can still see some scratches. Bit over all I am happy for being the first time. Rest of the car will be done on my next day off .

Few pics

ezuzu6az.jpg

3y7y9a6u.jpg

u8ydy5az.jpg

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Did you do 2 stages of polish or just 1?

Some scratches can be too deep where only wet sanding will get them out.

How long did you work each 2'x2' section? Did you prime the pad properly before use?

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you do 2 stages of polish or just 1?

Some scratches can be too deep where only wet sanding will get them out.

How long did you work each 2'x2' section? Did you prime the pad properly before use?

Yes 2 stages of 205. And on each 2x2 I did 6 slow passes up and down and side to side.

Prime the pad. No.

How long does the pads last with the stuff on them? What can I clean them with that would be around the house?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
205 isnt strong enough, so you'll need to do it with 105 and a cyan, then go back over it with 205.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
If a pass with a milder polish doesnt produce the results you want, move to the 105. And last as in...how much of your car can you buff with one pad, or how long before you need to replace them? As far as household items to clean them with, I wouldn't know. I have a specialty pad cleaner from chemical guys. Before I knew better I used dish soap on a pad. It worked, but the dish soap is not good for them.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Like seer said, some scratches are just to deep to be removed with a DA and require wet sanding or respraying. Looks good though.
I also us a pad cleaner from autogeek, DP i think but any will work (autogeek, chemical guys, whatever). I always switch about one pad per panel, toss the used pads in a bucket with the pad cleaner and agitate them with a brush and let them soak. Then if I run out of pads, i use one from my bucket and put it back on the DA and turn it to about 3 then work up to 5 or 6 to get most of the water out then use it on the paint again. After im done i always wash the pads in the washer machine on warm or hot with some cleaner after getting them as clean as i can with the brush, hose and bucket.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So now I fucking mad. Got this PC from someone here and it can't even get through the hood with m105 with out almost catching on fire. WTF ......

Can tell you how pissed I am. I noticed last time I used it 2 weeks ago, that it was getting really hot . Now this thing is prolly fucked and I'm out $90 bucks.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
So now I fucking mad. Got this PC from someone here and it can't even get through the hood with m105 with out almost catching on fire. WTF ......

Can tell you how pissed I am. I noticed last time I used it 2 weeks ago, that it was getting really hot . Now this thing is prolly fucked and I'm out $90 bucks.

sounds more like a technique error.

If you really have to, try a yellow pad and m105 but you will need to do a few rounds of finishing.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I feel like a tard now. I didn't have the washer in behind the backing plates. So the bolts on the backing plate were hitting the counter weight and causing it to over heat.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
I was the one who sold it to you and I never had any issues with it, im not the type to pawn off shit that is about to break or has problems. Looks like you found the issue though.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was the one who sold it to you and I never had any issues with it, im not the type to pawn off shit that is about to break or has problems. Looks like you found the issue though.

Lol dude sorry for my rant.

It was operator error. Once the washer wash in. That thing is awesome.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It keeps getting worse and worse ... Not sure what to do .

abu8yqa6.jpg

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know you said you cannot afford it right now, but a repaint seems to be the best option in my opinion.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ya I know , just wish there was a cheaper fix. I can't wait to get a house with a garage where it won't deteriorate any more

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I think that's gonna be the next step, I'm kinda scared to do it but it look like my only option.

What grits would I start with? I will only try a little section on my roof to try it being if I fuck up It wouldn't stand out like if I did the hood .

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Buy a junk yard hood for a few dollars and learn on it. That way you have a big test area to learn on and don't have to worry if you screw up

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I think that's gonna be the next step, I'm kinda scared to do it but it look like my only option.

What grits would I start with? I will only try a little section on my roof to try it being if I fuck up It wouldn't stand out like if I did the hood .

See if you can rent a paint gauge first so you know how much paint and clear you are working with.

1000, 1500, 2000

You could do 2500 as well, although compounds like M105 and M101 can remove defect down to 1500 grit.

I'd start with 1500 first and see if that helps. May need to try 1000 though.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back