hydraulic TOB; Who is running one, and do you like??

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hydraulic TOB; Who is running one, and do you like??

Is it just a little bit better, or is it a 'dam$' why didnt I do this from the start!!

?????

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the 05+ cars all have hydraulic TOB but the Ford unit seems to not be able to hold up to some of the stronger clutches. The Ram and Mcleod units seem nice but also expensive.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do they work much better when shifting above K???

Do they work much better when shifting above 6K???

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if your TOB is not leaking, then you have no reason to replace with anything. IF you are having shifting issues your first steps are engine mounts, a better shifter, torque limiters and that should get you going. If you still have problems AND its an aftermarket clutch it may not be shimmed properly.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
I kinda disagree..... I think an adjustable piece like the Ram or the McLeod is a must with most aftermarket clutches. Just like I also now believe that upgrading the input shaft to a 26 spline unit is a must.

1) Too many people running aftermarket clutches with factory TOB having too many problems shifting. Most people that have installed either the Ram or McLeod piece can now shift properly.

2) Too many people running hi-po aftermarket clutches have broken the input shaft. Some on launch using drag radials, and others on the 3-4 shift using street tires.

Again, this is my opinion after spending literally a year now reading and watching. When I bought my first blower last year, I began researching clutches. I now have a Ram TOB, Spec 3+ and flywheel, and 26 spline shaft going in sometime shortly after September 5th.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just having clutches ware out rather quickly... changing this weekend and was going to change TOB while I was there...

I dont have shift problems, just dont want them b/c with cams and heads Ill be raising my shift points.... avoiding the "...damn, I wish I would've" is all.

Keep 'em comming, still not sure...

mustanggt0405

forum member
Reaction score
I am having an Mcloed RST Twin and steel FW installed on Monday. After calling around to alot of shops I was told running the stock TOB is fine as long as you have low mileage and no shifting issues. If you have higher mileage then replace it with a new stock TOB, about $130 from a dealership I believe.

Only upgrade if you start having issues as the Mcloed TOB is like $400+.

All of the shops said not to go with the RAM since there have been alot of issues with them.

I only have 15k miles on my car so I am going to reuse the stocker.

Hope that helps.

FastHorse

Reaction score
I am having trouble myself with the stock setup. I just put in a new TOB/Slave cylinder and I have shifting issues!!! I went to the track again last night and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor board! This started happening ever since I installed BMR lower control arm relocation brackets, I dnt know. What to try next.

Androdz

Banned
Reaction score
I bought a mcleod tob I will tell you what I will do. I am currently working with centerforce with a dfx. So far their service has been great, if the clutch behaves anything close to their support It will work perfectly!

Andrew

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Back from last month.....

Finally got my setup installed and car back today. Spec 3+, Ram TOB, Spec steel flywheel and 26 spline input shaft. Got about 100 miles on it, and it's working flawlessly. Sure it's a bit grabby, but it's an easy pedal, no problem in between gears, downshifting/upshifting is easy, reverse is great and doesn't grind, etc. Haven't tried WOT shifting yet until I get more miles on it, but all seems very good. Install was by Dave at Brenspeed.

Oh, had a belt tensioner and Brenspeed twinscrew blower cams installed too and the car wants to pull to the fucking stratosphere! :beer: Once I get some miles on the clutch we're going to tune it and hit the strip.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i just read on another forum that they are " recalling " all the mcleod tob's something to do with inferior grade constuction material !!!!!!!!....... now take that how you want i dont know if its true but the guy said he went through 2 in like a month they both leaked got with them sent it in and they said it was something to do with the material used in it .......now how true that is i dunno but if you have 1 i think it would be safe to call and doublecheck before install ..........

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
Do they work much better when shifting above 6K???[/quote

if you can't shift above 6k - put car in neutral & rev to 6500 rpm if clutch pedal presses up on your foot your slave is bad. it doesnt have to leak to be bad - just worn.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a RAM and some shims and see if this is my problem.

As far as mounts, I thought there were clearance issues with longtube headers???

Is there, let me know b/c Ill change all that while its down.

Apprec. all

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the che k-member w/ torque limiters ? if so they only had problems with fitment on slp long tubes and supposedly they have a corrected set just for use with them now ......

if you ment motor mount you can get either the stock height or the "lowered set" so that shouldn't be an issue , although mine actually make my motor sit about 1/4" to 1/2" higher than before the reason i can tell is my strut brace just cleared my plentum cover before now it hits it ............

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the che k-member w/ torque limiters ? if so they only had problems with fitment on slp long tubes and supposedly they have a corrected set just for use with them now ......

if you ment motor mount you can get either the stock height or the "lowered set" so that shouldn't be an issue , although mine actually make my motor sit about 1/4" to 1/2" higher than before the reason i can tell is my strut brace just cleared my plentum cover before now it hits it ............

motor mounts I heard were too low, I have the che kmember w/ torques (fabbed it made it work)... man, the more I think about it... my damn car is turning into one fab after another.....

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lol yea i know what you mean the longer i keep this car the more i feel like im turning into maguiver lmao and like i said mine moved the motor further up i wish it would have moved it down a lil it would have given me more clearance for my strut brace

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Yep when I did motor mounts earlier this year, they raised the engine about 1/4". I cut them down 3/8" off and now it sits pretty good.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep when I did motor mounts earlier this year, they raised the engine about 1/4". I cut them down 3/8" off and now it sits pretty good.

what did you do tom cut the bushing up top where it meets the aluminum bracket ? id be intrested in this i was fixin to order a new set to lower it back some .....

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
I cut about 3/8" off right off the top. Then I used the piece that I cut off to act as a washer so that I could use the same bolt height. I did replace the bolt with a metric head bolt instead of the allen head style bolt that came with the mounts.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhhh i got ya .....another stupid question wtf did you cut that off with ? im having one hella stupid spell this last week lol and i basicly have damn near every tool known to man so yea......

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back