i got the shaft....and it doesn't vibrate....

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
drive shaft, that is. perhaps this isn't tech, mods feel free to move

i just installed my new dss 3.5" aluminum drive shaft this evening. this one has the 1350 joint up front and the heavy duty cv joint in the rear. this required reinstalling my original cv joint flange. it was a tight fit, as they build these shafts for minimum plunge in the joint in order to insure a vibe free ride.

so, here's the results. i ran the car on jack stands under the axle until the speedo was buried in overdrive...up to about 6k....

finally, this is the ticket. this baby is smooth as butter. now, it's time to head for the texas mile......

in case anyone cares, this is it:
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domes...-3-1-2o-aluminum-1330-has-no-clearance-issues

i did get a little discount as i supplied them with some measurements for a car lowered with the pro kit, as it seems perhaps they're building a database of lengths for different cars. what surprised me was the there was only 1/8'' difference between the length of the opening between the flanges with the suspension weighted, and with the rear suspension hanging to fully extended. i thought it would have been quite a bit more.

does that make this tech? j/k...

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy shit. $750 for a DS?!

Moved to MC

heck, I think I paid that for my Power House DS when I bought it, but they were just invented at that time. It's been trouble free too.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy shit. $750 for a DS?!

i really shouldn't say what i paid....i actually got a smokin' deal on this. put it this way, he made me such good deal that it was a no brainer. i'm just not publishing the price because he probably won't do it again...

let's just use the figure 30%...if that helps

Congrats when you going to the track?

probably won't go to sar until it's a lot cooler....to stinkin' hot right now

Moved to MC

heck, I think I paid that for my Power House DS when I bought it, but they were just invented at that time. It's been trouble free too.

i had good luck with my first ranger shaft, but after i had the joint replace with better ones it didn't balance up nearly as well. i ran it for a couple of years with no problems. i had another one built that actually a better shaft, and it's okay up to about 110, but after that it shakes. i'm going to sell both of them cheap enough that someone else can afford to send them to dss and use their ultra high speed balancing machine. i just decided to go for a top end shaft since i want to do the texas mile

Last edited:

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
i really shouldn't say what i paid....i actually got a smokin' deal on this. put it this way, he made me such good deal that it was a no brainer. i'm just not publishing the price because he probably won't do it again...

let's just use the figure 30%...if that helps

I've been looking at that DS, and if you got it for what simple math is telling me, I hate you :beer:

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Off topic a bit, but the title of this thread is all kinds of wrong....LOL!!!

However, I have been looking at that driveshaft as well. Very nice piece!!

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
jesus! $750.....no thanks!

read more carefully.....

Off topic a bit, but the title of this thread is all kinds of wrong....LOL!!!

However, I have been looking at that driveshaft as well. Very nice piece!!

it's kind of tricky to install...you have to install the cv joint end first, and then the front. not that that's a big deal, but it required removing the ds loop and just kind of letting it hang there on the shaft while i was bolting it all up.

never thought about the title of the thread...:(

Last edited:

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got my original DSS unit from 5 years ago that used to have a very slight vibration in the 65-75 range. It still fit when I installed the 6060, but shortening it up that 7/8" took any slack out of the slip joint and the vibration is gone.

I don't know what the new ones weigh, but mine took 22 pounds of rotating weight out of the car.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got my original DSS unit from 5 years ago that used to have a very slight vibration in the 65-75 range. It still fit when I installed the 6060, but shortening it up that 7/8" took any slack out of the slip joint and the vibration is gone.

I don't know what the new ones weigh, but mine took 22 pounds of rotating weight out of the car.

i think we're talking about different drive shafts. this one has the cv joint at the rear.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Moved to MC

+1 That sounds about what I paid for mine as well... been so long ago, I don't remember...

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i was there for a few minutes. you probably saw a line crew working. i drive a f250. my crew drives the bread van looking trucks. we use a bucket truck pretty much every day also but my crew wasn't at cat, just me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back