Steering Play

Laurence Dunn

Reaction score
I solved the issue and want to update this post for anybody that might have the same problem in the future.

On the steering shafts top U joint (closest to the firewall), there are only threads on one side of the “U”. The bolt can only go in 2 ways due to a groove in the shaft. I had the bolt flipped 180 degrees and I was only catching threads on the opposite side of the “U” (thank God I didn’t pull the threads or strip the bolt). After turning it around, everything tightened up and felt like a new car again.

I found the answer to this problem on an older post on this forum that I didn’t find the first time I searched. I want to say thank you to everybody that helped me. My next step was to buy a new steering shaft or control arms and possibly tie rod ends etc. And when that didn’t fix it, I’d be off to a front end shop. This forum saved me a lot of money. So thank you. Sincerely. PM me if you ever have any questions. I’d be glad to send pictures so you don’t have to go through the hell I have this past week.

Hi there, could you please send photos, I have the same problem

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back