I haven't been around in a while but heres what im up to :D

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I saw 180 degree temps by the end of a run before I ran the trunk tank. I never got a good test last year without ice since I iced it from the get-go. At 15.5psi of boost with ice in my tank my IAT's didn't get above 128 by the end of a run.

Once I get my roll bar in I'll put the 3" pulley back on and hit the track at the 15.5psi of boost but with no ice in the tank and see what it gets to.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice to see you back on here Ron, and also enjoying your car again.

Even better to see you able spend money on your car again1 :)

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw 180 degree temps by the end of a run before I ran the trunk tank. I never got a good test last year without ice since I iced it from the get-go. At 15.5psi of boost with ice in my tank my IAT's didn't get above 128 by the end of a run.

Once I get my roll bar in I'll put the 3" pulley back on and hit the track at the 15.5psi of boost but with no ice in the tank and see what it gets to.

James, I was seeing 160+ with ice, usually closer to 170. Its as if I had no ice in the tank whatsoever. Im hoping this AFCO will lower temps.

Nice to see you back on here Ron, and also enjoying your car again.

Even better to see you able spend money on your car again1 :)

Thanks Brian, It feels good to be back. Check your PM's!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I finalized all of the hoses last night and got everything bolted into place. I was worried about one hose on the pass side which passes under the sub-frame connector before going between the sub frame connector and the floor pan, so I made a plastic skid pad to protect the hose if for some reason it ever bottoms out or something hits it. The only way I could have avoided going under the sub-frame connector would have meant it would have gotten really close to the headers. But I also think If i put the CJ Front springs in, in place of my lowering springs, to even out the stance of the car (I've had the FRPP lowering in the front and the CJ springs in the rear) it definitely wouldn't be a problem.

Here are some pics of my work. I am pretty pleased in the routing and kept them away from any sharp edges, 90 degree turns, and any potential kinks. I used the old heater hose to wrap the new hose in any areas where i was worried about rubbing.

IMG_20110403_115314.jpg

IMG_20110403_115325.jpg

IMG_20110403_115400.jpg

IMG_20110403_115427.jpg

IMG_20110403_115500.jpg

IMG_20110403_115611.jpg

IMG_20110403_115645.jpg

IMG_20110403_115735.jpg

IMG_20110403_115744.jpg

I am still undecided how I am going to finish the rear here, or If im gonig to leave it. While nothing is in the way of any moving suspension parts, it just doesnt look as neat as the rest of the hose routing i did.

IMG_20110403_115758.jpg

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking good Ron. I'm hoping your old Killer Chiller will solve my IAT problems. If not I think I'm going to add a Snow Performance kit on top of the Killer chiller to help lower the IAT's.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping so, I haven't busted 200 cursing around yet but I'm pretty close in summer.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would look at running bigger feed and return lines . this should help your intercooler out a ton . it deff. helped us. good luck.

Are you talking to me or Matt?

From what i understand, the problem with running larger lines is your still at the mercy of the smallest opening in the system, IE the heat exchanger and the intercooler. Larger lines are great until the water hits these parts and is forced to slow down and it bottlenecks a little in the smaller openings.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My god Donny (Dads Custom Intercooler Tanks) does good work. Look at those welds!!! I cant wait till it gets here. The turn around time was just shy of 2 weeks, the price was amazing, and he kept in contact with me at all times, and any questions he had on the plans I sent him, he asked me before he did anything instead of just assuming. This was one of the most pleasurable experiences I have had. He even texted me pictures the night the tank was completed to my phone, as well as emailed the originals to me.

Thanks Donny!!!!!

RonG020.jpg

RonG021.jpg

RonG022.jpg

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tank has shipped and it is on its way to me, the blower is on its way back to me, and i installed the new trans cooler today as well. Things are coming together

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tank has been installed. I wired it to run when the key is in the on position, so the pump in the tank, and the fans on the HE can run without the car running. Man that Rule 2000 pump moves that water! seems even faster than when i had the remote mounted Meziere pump a year ago.

I also routed the lines a bit differently than most people do. I wanted to have the max cooling on the street (Tank>Heat Exchanger>Intercooler>Tank) but at the same time, when using ice at the track, have max cooling there as well (Tank>Intercooler>Heat Exchanger>Tank) without having to disconnect and reroute hoses. Well with all of my experimenting with the Killer Chiller, and having a temperature gauge reading the temp of the water AFTER it left the intercooler, I found that the water leaving the intercooler was, although not as cold as the water in the Killer Chiller/Tank, was still colder than the ambient air temperature. If the water travels out of the intercooler and has to pass through the Heat Exchanger, it will effectively heat the semi cold water to ambient temperature. It would be even worse so i feel with a dual pass HE like the Afco unit. What I did was install a set of Ball Valves, and bypass the heat exchanger for track use when using ice. By switching the positions of my ball valves i can effectively change the routing of the intercooler system so it goes Tank>Intercooler>Tank. Switch the ball valves to their previous position and its the OEM setup of Tank>Heat Exchanger>Intercooler>Tank. I feel I will have the best of both worlds with this.

I installed a Derale 13760 Transmission cooler to replace the one installed by FB. I wasn't able to mount it with the fan in a puller position so i ditched the fan and shroud completely and mounted it off center behind the grill, in front of the radiator. I have the fan and shroud on the side in case i want to move it somewhere else and have the room. The Derale is a Stacked plate design, while the FB one was a tube/fin design. The stacked plate design is super efficient in comparison. I was able to use one of the existing mounting holes that FB used, and drilled a second one and I am extremely happy with the result. Unfortunately i did not get any pics of it installed.

I reinstalled the CJ front springs as im gonig to the track on Monday, and man she looks like a 4x4 in the front again lol. the ride is so super smooth though lol.

Moving on, I got my blower back from Kenne Bell today. I had spoken to Jim Bell personally after they got my blower and he said he felt the unit didn't need a rebuild at all, so they cleaned it up, sent it back and threw in a bottle of oil for the blower as well. I threw it back on the car tonight. Car fired up right away and i took it for a test drive after checking for leaks, of which there were none.

After letting he car idle to temp i went driving for a while, no boost. I want to make sure the tank of gas that was in there over the winter with the Stabilizer in it is gone before i get into the power and boost. well I've never seen under 120-125 on my temps before for the IAT's and tonight it stayed between 95-100 all night. the highest i saw was 116, and that was with cruise control on, going downhill, so the throttle body was all but closed, not letting in any fresh cold air so it was to be expected. Id say mission success. The real test will be on Monday at the track so stay tuned for that. I will be running the race tune, and the 2.5" pulley on C16 for the first time. 9 Second runs are what I'm hoping for.

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounding good there Ron. I like those IAT's staying that low.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well well see matt when it heats up outside and track temps

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Ya man! You should throw some ice in the trunk tank to try it out that way before you go to the track for the hell of it. Take some pics of the valves if you can since I may want to try that out myself.

It looks like Lito may have figured out the emissions tune quicker than I expected(He's never had to tune for emissions before). I got my carpet back in the car along with the driver's seat last night and put the new tune in he gave me. Drove the car into work today and it didn't have any codes so hopefully after a few more drives I can take it to get inspected. I just need to stop by my friend's shop who has a real good snap-on scanner tool and see how the readiness monitors are.

Take some vids on Monday at Atco! I want to see Dave's and your runs.

Then I can go for a balls out run on my 110 leaded tune and see if I can hit a mid 10 run myself.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
testing will be done at the track since i already know the results of the temp parts of it. flows real well after my first test drive last night!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WEll I can say with pride that my IAT temps are solved. Made multiple passes in near 100% humidity and 75-80 degrees outside. on the street tune (14psi 93 octane) and with the intercooler system in the OEM configuration (tank>heat exchanger>intercooler>tank) and NO Ice i ran a 10 second pass and the highest the IAT hit was 134 degrees. Made a hotlap pass 6 minutes later and the highest it hit was 151.

Changed to 21-22psi of boost and C16. Put 3 bags of ice in the tank and switched the intercooler system to race mode (Tank>Intercooler>Tank). First pass at the higher boost level it only went as high as 144, and I hotlapped it 5 minutes later, without adding anymore ice, and it only hit 155. Mind you that is completely bypassing the heat exchanger. All tests today were a resounding success, Im DONE worrying about IAT temps.

For those concerened with cruising temps for IAT's, 2.5 hour drive there in the morning never went above 105 and the same drive home in the 75 degree weather it never went over 114. The only time it did go over was sitting in traffic for a few miles in both directions. Morning it hit 115, and on the way home it hit 135, however as soon as the car started to move, the temps dropped rapidly back down to what i posted above.

Trans temps at the track with the derale cooler(no fan) never got above 110 while in lockup on the highway. At the track even after the hotlapped passes, using the transbrake, it never went above 170. the previous cooler would be well over 260 after 2 passes. another resoundign success.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back