I video taped the noise I'm getting... check it out...

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I had a real similar noise on my Durango a few months ago. It was real hard to isolate. I used an 18" screwdriver like a stethoscope and placed the blade end on various engine components until I found the problem. It was an idler pulley with a bad bearing.

It may be worth trying to use something like this to isolate your problem.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had the same noise for about a month, when cold it would squill and when running for a little while it would go away and the other day this happened....

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 18

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
Had the same noise for about a month, when cold it would squill and when running for a little while it would go away and the other day this happened....

Sorry for not being technically inclined... but is that the idler pulley?? If so, when the shop installed my UDP's - is there anyway they could have done something that would have caused or is causing one of my pulleys to go bad? (bad installation, too tight, too loose, etc???)

I thought they only change the water pump pulley and harmonic balancer (when using Steeda's kit).

I'm going to the shop tomorrow morning where the install was done and I want to be prepared with as much information as possible. Please help - thanks!!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not being technically inclined... but is that the idler pulley?? If so, when the shop installed my UDP's - is there anyway they could have done something that would have caused or is causing one of my pulleys to go bad? (bad installation, too tight, too loose, etc???)

I thought they only change the water pump pulley and harmonic balancer (when using Steeda's kit).

I'm going to the shop tomorrow morning where the install was done and I want to be prepared with as much information as possible. Please help - thanks!!

That is "an idler pulley", not "the idler pulley". There is more than one ;)
And no, installing UDPs is not going to cause an idler pulley to go bad. Not going to be able to blame a UDP install as the root cause for an idler pulley going bad if that is what is wrong.

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
That is "an idler pulley", not "the idler pulley". There is more than one ;)
And no, installing UDPs is not going to cause an idler pulley to go bad. Not going to be able to blame a UDP install as the root cause for an idler pulley going bad if that is what is wrong.

Thanks! :thumb:

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
pulleysetupub1.jpg

UPDATE:

We tried to duplicate the noise but it wasn't possible because the car doesn't do it when it's warm. They took the belt off and inspected everything and saw two things that MIGHT be the problem...

1.) Number 6 pulley was slightly wobbly - it had a little play (idler pulley).

2.) Number 9 pulley was slightly difficult to turn (tensioner pulley). I mean it turned, but not as freely as the other ones.

Since Ford parts was closed in that area, we couldn't do anything about the tensioner pulley because I just needed the pulley itself. The shop that was available to them only sold the package (tensioner arm and all). At Ford, you can supposedly get the pulley alone.

The other pulley (number 6) was available from their parts provider and it was made aftermarket by Gates. The quality was very good - even better than Ford's crap.

So, he changed the idler pulley and rechecked everything. He put the belt on and started the car and low and behold...the stupid *&$#@#$ noise was there. It was very faint though and didn't last long because the car wasn't really cold. It needs to sit over night OR a few days for it to be very noticeable.

So now, the problem is either the tensioner pulley that is slightly difficult to turn or it's something else that they can't determine without hearing it right there on the spot.

This situation is very weird and annoying. Again, all suggestions are welcome. The shop wants me to leave the car there over night so they can start it and hear the noise in person in order to determine what it is.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Something doesn't look right. Where is the supercharger pulley? :roflmao:

mAnYsTyLeS

forum member
Reaction score
I was told to spray some White Lithium Grease around the bearings on each pulley on separate occasions to check if maybe I can isolate the problem... does this make sense?

For example: Tonight I would spray the tensioner pulley bearing with grease then start the car to see if the noise goes away. If that doesn't work, the next day try another pulley. Is this OK to try or will I be hurting something?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back