Interesting Noise at Idle

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Szia, ugyanez a hangom hidegről indítva. a főtengely csapágyak jók, a szelepsor jó, a láncfeszítők jók. 4.6 3v 70e mérföld és erősen fut. Ha tud valamit kérem jelezze

You could post in English to help us solve your problem as I don't think any of us is fluent in Hungarian. ;) I've used Google Translate to convert your post in English:

"Hi, I have the same sound from a cold start. the crankshaft bearings are good, the valve train is good, the chain tensioners are good. 4.6 3v 70e miles and runs strong. If you know anything, please let me know"

That doesn't help us dude. If it's a video, upload it to YouTube and post a link.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
To be honest, all I can hear is normal injector clicking.
There definitely isn't any phaser knock nor any timing chain rattle. Both would actually be worse when the engine's hot and the oil pressure is lower due to the reduced viscosity. If your engine is quiet when hot and idling, and doesn't make any abnormal noises when accelerating from low rpm, you've nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your ride.

Reaction score
Same exact thing happening with mine, same tapping sound(better heard under a car, if you next to the wall or another car its stupid how well you can hear it), mine comes from pass side tho. it is only at warm idle, if rpms go above 1200 it dissapears, weird as hell. Popped valve covers off, everything looks great, no movement- checked phaser, followers, cam, etc - all looks perfect. Some people told me its cam phaser hot idle tap so called it is casused by the retaining clip inside of cam phaser that moves around and is safe since noone ever saw ford phaser coming apart, but i will still do a timing kit and see if it solves it. You know whats the most stupid thing is? - engine has 10k miles on it

Adomis63

Reaction score
...I’ve been hearing a tapping noise from what seems my shifter when “giving it the beans” in 2nd or 3rd. I figured it was just the bushings in my sloppy hurst short throw. Another thing to add to the winter maintenance list.

Huh, came across my own thread looking to see if anyone had experience with a different - related - problem. Figured I'd do a lil update on this. The tapping noise is indeed my shifter. The red poly bushings were... well, there weren't any anymore. Popped some new ones in from Hurst and discovered that the P/O cross threaded the bolt that holds the shifter to the trans. Ugh.

Contemplating just sending it and tightening it down. If I were more motivated I might try to clean the threads with a tap. But there's not enough clearance to fit one in.

Erti

Reaction score
they replaced the clutch and the knocking sound went away

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back