Ice box and turbo

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can anyone think of a way to go about this? I have an air to air intercooler for my turbo setup but was thinking (and mark suggested) to run a water cooler on it too.

Wondering if i could fabricate some sort of box to go around the turbo and throw some ice in it before runs. it could work!

any ideas?

there is always Nitrous and a Nitrous setup for the intercooler though....

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe what "Mark" is suggesting is a water-to-air intercooler. For a street car, you would need a heat exchanger to keep that water "cooled" on the street. You would have to drain it enough to pack with ice between runs because it'll be melted by the time you finished your run. This is what one looks like. You will need to plum your cold side of your turbo to it as opposed to your air-air intercooler. You will then need a tank for the water/ice (50/50). You will need a water pump to pump the water thru the intercooler. I would put the heat exchanger on the return side of the intercooler before putting that water back in the resevoir as opposed to the chilled water going thru the heat exchanger before cooling the air that goes into the turbo.
air intake>turbo>water/air IC>motor intake.
resevoir>water/air IC>heat exchanger>resevoir.

Attachments

• waterairic.jpg
    waterairic.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 122

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can anyone think of a way to go about this? I have an air to air intercooler for my turbo setup but was thinking (and mark suggested) to run a water cooler on it too.

Wondering if i could fabricate some sort of box to go around the turbo and throw some ice in it before runs. it could work!

any ideas?

there is always Nitrous and a Nitrous setup for the intercooler though....
Looked at spraying your intercooler?

Cryo2 has some CO2 spray kits that ice down your intercooler...Compressed CO2 might be easier and cheaper to get (than NO2) depending on where you are...

I assume Mark meant replacing the air/air intercooler with a air/water intercooler rather than trying to plumb a heat sink around the turbo itself.

Spraying/fogging the intercooler with nitrous or CO2 is a relatively painless and foolproof approach whereas trying to design a heat removal system from the turbo itself that isn't already plumbed for water cooling, you have to be careful that you have enough heat removal capacity that you are really "removing" heat rather than just storing it close to the turbo (effectively insulating it = heat sink).

p.s. looks like 169stang beat me to it...

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I'll go with the C02 kit. Seems a lot less of a hassle

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I live in Utah. 100+ degrees with a corrected elevation of 7,000ft. I think it may help a little bit

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I believe what "Mark" is suggesting is a water-to-air intercooler. For a street car, you would need a heat exchanger to keep that water "cooled" on the street. You would have to drain it enough to pack with ice between runs because it'll be melted by the time you finished your run. This is what one looks like. You will need to plum your cold side of your turbo to it as opposed to your air-air intercooler. You will then need a tank for the water/ice (50/50). You will need a water pump to pump the water thru the intercooler. I would put the heat exchanger on the return side of the intercooler before putting that water back in the resevoir as opposed to the chilled water going thru the heat exchanger before cooling the air that goes into the turbo.
air intake>turbo>water/air IC>motor intake.
resevoir>water/air IC>heat exchanger>resevoir.

Yep - this is exactly what I was talking about.

I assume Mark meant replacing the air/air intercooler with a air/water intercooler rather than trying to plumb a heat sink around the turbo itself.

Yep.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Dang DEX. Who ya got a vendetta against?
Ya seem to be gearing up to trash someone....
:whip:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You mean, why do I need so much power? :)

Going to be a lot of heat in the hood. Just wondering if there is any extra things I can do to help out my engine bay.

169stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to say it, but since it's been said already....I've seen back to back testing on a Procharged (F1C) 05 here in S. Florida and spraying the IC doesn't do squat. I'm not sold on it! Needless to say, you'll most likely have timing built in and a bottle that'll run dry eventually. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.
Is the under hood heat melting things or is it just hotter than you desire? You can change the hood as well, but I'm pretty sure the under hood temps are not going to change too drastically. I guess the real question is why do you think the under hood temps are too high? What is your objective? To gain power? To not get hit in the face with heat when you open the hood?

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
We tried it on more supercharged and turbocharged Fox cars than you can imagine. I had more nitrous going across one intercooler than a Pro Mod car has going into the engine. Didn't do a damn thing. We also tried compressed air and even freon. Not enough cooling to do any good.

The only way to significantly reduce the incoming air charge was to use an air/water intercooler using ice water. However, packaging such a creature in a real-live street car is not a viable alternative. The only real way to get it done would be to use one of the twin screw blower manifolds with the intercooler in the manifold. You can then install a custom top plate with an elbow for the throttle body. With this method you could use an ice water tank in the trunk with an external water pump to cool the inlet charge. However, for daily driving you would still have a cooling problem. You could use an air/air intercooler mounted up front for everyday intercooling needs and load the ice tank for track use.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just throwin out ideas...thanks for all of your input guys

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We tried it on more supercharged and turbocharged Fox cars than you can imagine. I had more nitrous going across one intercooler than a Pro Mod car has going into the engine. Didn't do a damn thing. We also tried compressed air and even freon. Not enough cooling to do any good.
Good to know... Surprising - sounds like there is some work to do there on heat transfer (getting the heat out of the intercooler without trying to air condition the planet)- I don't think the idea is without potential, but obviously the track decides what really works...

The manifold approach does sound promising - looking forward to hearing more about that...

ixtlan

Reaction score
You mean, why do I need so much power? :)

Going to be a lot of heat in the hood. Just wondering if there is any extra things I can do to help out my engine bay.

I thought you wanted to trash some of those loud mouths over at you know where.
The Box Body peeps.
:whistling:

Would actually like to see a few put in there place....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back