Idle issues. Car stalls on start up without giving it gas!

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys I need help! I've been searching and searching but I just can't seem to find an answer to my problem.
Tuesday leaving work my car wouldn't start. It would try but it just dies. I can give it gas to keep it alive and after about 30 seconds to a minute of me forcing it to idle it eventually finds its own idle.
Once it finds its own idle it runs like crap for about a minute then the idle smooths out and the car will then run perfect as if it didn't have any issues. It even drives fine as well. The idle doesn't surge when coming to stops or anything. And there is no loss in power what so ever!
Last weekend I replaced a plug that was misfiring and also found a torn injector o ring that was causing a vacuum leak. All the plugs where changed about 3 months ago with Autolite HT1s. Car was running fine last weekend after changing that single plug and o ring. There was still a tiny leak some where though but it wasn't affecting the car at all. Then Tuesday I started having this issue.
I found another torn injector o ring that was causing a leak and replaced that too. And it still won't start on its own. I can't find anymore vacuum leaks. I tried cleaning my MAF but still nothing. I tried swapping a friends MAF and also nothing.
The issue is only when trying to start the car. Once I get it running it idles and drives fine..
I'm getting 2 cels. P2196 and P2198 o2 sensor signal biased stuck rich. Both banks.
My mods are:
JLT CAI
Moto Blu Underdrive Pulleys
DIY CMDPs
Pacesetter Longtube Headers
Pypes O/R X pipe
SLP Power Flo catback
With tunes from Bama.
Sorry for the long post but I'm running out of ideas! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
It was just an email tune from bama but yes! I see what you are saying. Like maybe it got tuned with the leaks and now that they are gone it doesn't know what to do. I wouldn't think that would be the case here though since its just an email tune.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
When you say "it got tuned with the leaks", do you mean Bama had it on a dyno and tuned it (then emailed you an updated tune or something)? Because otherwise they wouldn't have any insight into the specifics of your car. From what I remember from when I did mine, you give them your mods, your ECU code, and that's about it. Then they build you a generic tune that would be the same on any car with those mods, regardless of vacuum leaks.

I'm wondering if your car's ECU adjusted to the vac leak and now that its fixed it's all out of whack because it learned to compensate. You can try clearing the ECU's memory (you'll have to do a search on the procedure but I think its basically unplug the battery for X amount of time)

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
No no it wasn't ever on their dyno. When I mean email tune it's just a canned tune that they sent me. I just filled out a form with all the stuff done to my car and they gave me a generic tune for it all.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Disconnect your battery then let your car run for 2 minutes on with the ac off then 2 minutes with the ac on. It may just have to relearn it's idle.

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Disconnect your battery then let your car run for 2 minutes on with the ac off then 2 minutes with the ac on. It may just have to relearn it's idle.

I tried it the other day but it didn't change anything!

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
have you talked with bama about this issue to try and resolve it? maybe its in the tune..no exhaust leaks or anything with the headers? I thnk that would throw a lean code though

ski

forum member
Reaction score
Cleaning the throttle body may help.

If that doesn't work, then varnish/carbon may be causing one or more injectors to leak when the engine is off. Dumping a can of Seafoam into the gas tank should clean them out.

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I might do that as well. It was giving off those o2 sensor codes so I bought a o2 sensor to replace one side to see if it would get rid of that code. It did temporarily but it immediately came back so the o2 sensors are fine. But I don't know where to start looking next..

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Update.
I pretty much wasted 50 bucks on an o2 sensor today because that code came back.
Went to start it up after I got off work and it literally took me revving it to like 2500-3000 rpm to keep it alive.
My coworker who was with me said it was puffing out blueish white smoke.
I'm at my breaking point with this damn car right now!!!!!

recordbreaker5

Blown 3V
Reaction score
I don't. I haven't experienced one going bad yet. What I do know is that leaded gas or octane booster will trash o2 sensors and spark plugs pretty fast.

Yea, I've read some material that said the same. Periodically is fine from what I read on a VMPtuning forum about leaded gas mix ie tracking the car every once in a while. Also recommended not to use bosch sensors (narrow band) if at all possibly being that the sensor sweep isn't as strong as stock or other competitors.

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Have you ever used octane booster or leaded gas?

Never used either of the two.

And yeah everything I've read says that the Bosch sensors suck. I bought factory ones to replace the Bosch ones I previously bought.

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Update:
Car still had issues starting. Have to give it gas to get it started still. But after about 30 seconds you can hear the exhaust note "clean up" and smooth out and that's when I stop giving it gas and it will idle itself.
Car runs and drives great though....?
However.. When I push in the clutch while rolling no matter what speed it idle drops to around 500 and as soon as I come to a stop it idles back up to normal (850-900ish)
My buddy's shop suggested maybe TPS is bad? Would it still run and drive fine with a bad TPS?

Eedd

Reaction score
I had my CAI intake elbow Blow off from the throttle body because of the high pressure air dryer at a car wash. caused a freaky idle with my saleen S/C

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back