if you adjusted your pinion angle, come in!

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
SoundGuyDave thank you so much,i get it now.see what kept throwing me off was that people kept saying go to -2 on the pinnion from the driveshaft and to me -2 was negative from 0.

luillo what you are trying to do is match the number you are getting from the transmission but underload.this is why u set it a little on the negative side from that number,since the pinnion is gonna rotate up a couple of degrees.
i still dont understand why bmr,steeda and other companys keep saying to read the driveshaft and then subtract the pinnion number from that.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
thought i would recheck mine today.

i have a stock DS still.

2.3 on the driveshaft sloping down towards the ground would make this negative correct?

and the front of the pinion was 2.1 tipped downwards towards the ground, this would make this positive , yes?

so right now im close to zero? with -.2? and to make this negative number larger i would need decrease the pinion flange and make it go downwards more?

and if my goal is overall to have a -2 degrees then i would need to lengthen the lca to move the rear pinion downwards and be closer to zero?

im using a sears magnetic electronic level so it shows negative and positive.

Last edited:

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score

i have a stock DS still.

2.3 on the driveshaft sloping down towards the ground would make this negative correct?

and the front of the pinion was 2.1 tipped downwards towards the ground, this would make this positive , yes?

so right now im close to zero? with -.2? and to make this negative number larger i would need decrease the pinion flange and make it go downwards more?

and if my goal is overall to have a -2 degrees then i would need to lengthen the lca to move the rear pinion downwards and be closer to zero?

yes your math is correct. But won't lengthening the lca's have the same effect as lengthening the uca ? Causing the pinion to tilt up in front ? Seems to me that shortening the lca's is the same as shortening the uca, isn't it ?

Last edited:

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score

i have a stock DS still.

in your case since you are a manual you can put the pinnion at 0.remember your 0 is the angle from the tranny not the 0 on the angel finder.DO NOT put your pinnion pointing down towards the ground.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
yes your math is correct. But won't lengthening the lca's have the same effect as lengthening the uca ? Causing the pinion to tilt up in front ? Seems to me that shortening the lca's is the same as shortening the uca, isn't it ?

no, the uca are above the axle and the lca are below, so making the lca longer would tilt the pinion down,pushing the axle back, and if you made the uca longer it would push the top of the axle back making the pinion tilt up.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
in your case since you are a manual you can put the pinnion at 0.remember your 0 is the angle from the tranny not the 0 on the angel finder.DO NOT put your pinnion pointing down towards the ground.

ok, my driveshaft from front to rear is pointing down towards the rear 2.3 degrees

my pinion is facing down 2.1 degrees

like a "v", they are both pointing down ,so i went to 0 on the pinion,i would be raising the front tip of it 2.1 degrees .

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
thats fine that way.you really dont need to adjust anything else.they say for manual cars you want -2 to -3 degrees, in your case you are at -2.1 with the pinnion at 0

kentompkins

Procharged
Reaction score
Someone mentioned "if only" somebody developed a light weight two piece drive shaft...

The DriveShaft Shop near me has one:

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=594

It's aluminum/chromoly so it's frickin expensive but it weighs in at 27 lbs.

Anybody know anyone who has it? Thoughts about this nixing both the problem of vibration and pinion angle setting?

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
holly smoke batman 1200 bucks for a driveshaft.that would not solve a wrong pinnion angle.

1FastS197

Reaction score
okay, let me make sure i have this right... after lowering springs are in and adjustable UCA... the driveshaft needs to be at -2 and the flange needs to be on 0... right?

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
or does the driveshaft need to be -2 and the flange on the rear end need to be +2?

you can't adjust the driveshaft angle unless with a 1 piece you raise or lower the tail shaft of the trans. With a 2 piece you couldn't really unless you adjusted the carrier bearing mount. So you can only adjust the pinion angle on the rear axle. Whatever the driveshaft angle is you have to adjust the rear end pinion angle to.

1FastS197

Reaction score
you can't adjust the driveshaft angle unless with a 1 piece you raise or lower the tail shaft of the trans. With a 2 piece you couldn't really unless you adjusted the carrier bearing mount. So you can only adjust the pinion angle on the rear axle. Whatever the driveshaft angle is you have to adjust the rear end pinion angle to.

okay so all i need to do is set the angle finder on the rear flange and set it to -2?

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
-2 from the driveshaft angle.
lets say your driveshaft is -4 pointing down from the transmission to the pinnion.now you get your pinnion flange and set it at -2 from the -4 that you got,this gives you a -2 pinnion angle.technically your pinnion will be 2 degrees looking up from 0 on the angle finder.

1fast05

I wanna go fast
Reaction score
pinion angle

my 05's pinion angle is set at -4 down and its smooth all the way well past 130(very dangerous,not to mention extremely illegal) but i had a bad rub with my one piece aluminum and it came apart so i have my stocker in for now,and my wife's '05 is at -5 with a one piece steel and it vibrates around 100 mph but i need it to hook on the street,my suspension is all BMR with the rod end adj control arms and hers is all Steeda street adjustable with soft bushings

1FastS197

Reaction score
-2 from the driveshaft angle.
lets say your driveshaft is -4 pointing down from the transmission to the pinnion.now you get your pinnion flange and set it at -2 from the -4 that you got,this gives you a -2 pinnion angle.technically your pinnion will be 2 degrees looking up from 0 on the angle finder.

oh okay, i think i got it... if your driveshaft is at -4, i would want to raise the flange on the diff 2 degrees to get -2 right?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back