in the car oil pan drop?

stormy69

Bullitt
Reaction score
Before i crawl under the car, can anyone tell me if the pan can be pulled from the bottom without much fuss? 05 gt i recently picked up has a knock and i would like to check the bottom end out...

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
You can get the pan loose and lower it just a bit, but the k-member is in the way of removing it (the oil pickup tube hangs deep into the pan and gets in the way, too).
Now despite this, the gasket is re-usable, so it should seal back up. So if you drop it just a little, maybe an inch or less, you can peek up inside.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It can be removed by loosening all 8 k-member bolts, just loosen them, don't remove them.
Check the cam phasers as they can sound like a rod knock when they go bad.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I removed my pan a few years ago to do the turbo install to make welding the return oil bung easier. If I recall correctly, I had the engine mounts loose and slightly jacked the block up away from the k-member to do it. I remember getting it out was much much easier than getting it back in.

stormy69

Bullitt
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. i'll probably do what jodade did after i eliminate the phasers as the issue. not going to get a chance to mess with it till next week.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I remove my intake manifold and unbolt the motor mounts and lift the engine as high as it will go. Then i loosen the front 4 k member bolts a bit and that gives me enough room to slide the pan in and out. It's still a squeeze but if you loosen all the k member bolts it might give you a little more room.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back