inner tie rod

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have a clicking sound coming from my front end. I can hear it when you shimmy the steering wheel back and forth very slightly while parked. It's coming from where the inner tie rod attaches to the rack on the drivers side. I'm going to pull the boot to make sure it's the inner rod connection that's worn out and not the rack itself that needs replacing.

I see 2 different inner tie rods for my car though.

MOTORCRAFT MEOE214 - with 19"'/20" inch wheels
MOTORCRAFT MEOE212 - with 17" wheels

They look identical, but I'm guessing they're not. My car came with 18s, but has 20s on it now. Not sure which one I should buy or if it really would make a difference?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Hmmm, didn't know there was a tie rods difference with different diameter rims? Just saw on RA there is a 18" option for Motorcraft.

Does your car have EPAS?

I always do both sides and even replace the outer tie rods too. I like Moog because the outers come with greaseable zerk fittings.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I didn't either. Still trying to figure out how tire diameter would require a different inner tie rod. I was looking at RA as well and saw all the options which has me confused.

yea, it's an EPAS rack. I planned to do both sides at the same time while I was there and going to need an alignment. I'm usually a Moog person as well, and they are about $18 cheaper than the motorcraft rods. However, the oem ones lasted me 220,000 miles, might be worth the extra $36 if the new set will last me another 220k

GriffX

Reaction score
I didn't either. Still trying to figure out how tire diameter would require a different inner tie rod. I was looking at RA as well and saw all the options which has me confused.

yea, it's an EPAS rack. I planned to do both sides at the same time while I was there and going to need an alignment. I'm usually a Moog person as well, and they are about $18 cheaper than the motorcraft rods. However, the oem ones lasted me 220,000 miles, might be worth the extra $36 if the new set will last me another 220k
Just changed the outer tie rods and measured the tire distance on the lift before I started to take the tires off (steering wheel horizontal with water level, paint dot at the wheel tread to remember the measuring point), after work done I adjusted the distance to the same value again.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I do my own alignments on my '66 and a couple other vehicles, but this one has a lifetime alignment, so I make use of it.

I like your method though, good idea!

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
so from my own research, the only difference in the tie rods would be the limiter, which is based on your wheel size. They are all physically the same length, diameter, strength, etc.

I'm going to buy the one's for 18" wheels since that's what's probably on there, OEM original inners. My 20x9 front wheels don't rub anywhere, so I see no reason to switch to the 20" version of the tie rods. The 18" versions probably give me a tighter turning radius anyways.

Appreciate all the help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back