Installing the Koni SRT struts and GT 500 strut mounts tomorrow

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Picked up a set of the Koni SRT struts from another fourm-thanks Ultraklassic and sorry Jew75-and in talking with Jew he asked me if I was going to be installing the GT 500 strut mounts with the Koni's...I did not know there was any difference but in asking around I guess the GT 500's are better built/stouter than the GT's....Jew told me he got his from Torq, bought them from there and wow, they are pretty impressive! I will try to remember to take comparasion pics once I get the stock GT strut mounts out.

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. I couldn't believe he hadn't sold those before you got to him!!!!! It was "in the cards" for you to have them. Enjoy!!!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
what springs? I run the same setup, Koni STR.T's with the GT500s

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
CJ sprngs...I was lucky and got mine for $75 shipped before Ford realized how popular they were and increased the prices.

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
Let me know how that ride feels over bumps for you .. i'm looking to change my setup to something even better but unsure how to do it.

right now i'm on Tokico adujstable shocks and struts, BMR lowering springs, steeda camber plates , bmr a-arms, bmr-panhard bar, bmr upper arm, bmr k-member, bmr-lower arm, bmr sway bar, bmr rear sway bar.

My friends tell me when they drive the car tell me it's the best lowered feel they ever rode in ,, especially over bumps.... bump it's still not the stock feel yet. Still trying to get back to that point with lowered car.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Will do...I had the UPR/Eibach springs on the car and it was too low..it looked great but I was hitting the bump stops and if I had a passenger in the car it got a lotworse...plus at the track lowering springs do not help at all with the weight trasnfer so I decided on the CJ springs which were doing well at the track and lowered the car a little.

Looks like you need to change your screen name from BMW to BMR with all their stuff on your car, LOL!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I have the GT500 mounts and STR.T's, but with Steeda Ultralite springs. Over undulating, closely spaced bumps in the road, like this one section right before the bay bridge on 331S coming into Santa Rosa Beach, it can overwhelm the rear shocks a bit. Never hit the stops, but it's pretty rough. In all other situations though, the car stays planted much better than the stockers could manage with these lowering springs and driving over the same area would make the stops get pummeled.

Greg, if I ever get to the point of drag racing this car, I'll have to keep in mind what you said about the lowering springs and transferring power. Lord knows, I can't keep traction very well right now, even with LCA's and relocation brackets.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's all good Greg. At least they went to a good home. Glad I could help out with the mounts.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Whats odd is, I'm still able to cut 1.6 60's on my K springs.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the car and can't really feel that much of a difference but it was only a test drive.

I will post pics later.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Greg were your stock strut mounts making any noise? Is that why you changed them? I have a really bad clunk coming from my right front. From reading around it seems it could be the front mounts. How long did it take you to do the swap? I may have to recuit my buddy to help me with this mod.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, they were not making any noise but they only had 9K on them and I would have never thought to have changed them but Jew75 talked to me about them when we were talking about the strut swap and he suggested them.

The strut mounts are 4 bolts that are removed when the strut is out, very easy to to.

If you do the strut swap watch the video I put in my thread, makes it very easy to swap springs/struts and you don't need a spring compressor.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'll finally be getting my Koni yellow front struts later this week. My mechanic offered the use of his press for installing the springs but I think I'm going to try this method first. I've only changed struts once before, about 20 years ago on a 1984 Honda Prelude. Seems I don't remember much except it was quite an ordeal. My last 3-4 vehicles have been pickup trucks so I haven't had the pleasure of owning something with struts until now.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very easy to do, let me/Luke/Jeremy know if you have any issues or questions....about 30 mins a side and that's with taking your time but you will want someone to assist you.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back