Is Carmax worth dealing with?

JCH2008GT

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to part out my car hopefully within the next week or two and going to return the car to a completely stock GT again including wheels and body parts. The car is a 2008 with 50k miles. Just curious what kind of value I could expect if I took it to CarMax? Is it even worth doing?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I've heard good and bad on quotes from them. Expect to be lowballed though.

I would suggest finding a dealership that you can walk in and they can see your car to appreciate what your car looks like. To some it doesn't matter, to others it does. Geography is a major player as well.

Good luck and enjoy the new 5.0 if you're getting one. Worth the trouble to demod and trade IMO.:thumb:

YellowRoush said:
They told me my car was worth 6 grand lol.

icon_lolsign.gif
icon_screwy.gif

Last edited:

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
^^ they told me some BS number when I went there as well. Make sure to go to other places and get some other quotes as well. Good luck!

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
CarMax can suck it. Back in 2008, they offered only 12K for mine even though I owed 20K still. The car looked brand new and had like 30K miles. KBB said the car was worth at least 20K.

JCH2008GT

forum member
Reaction score
They told me my car was worth 6 grand lol.

I wouldn't waste my time.

Haha hot damn that's retarded.

I've heard good and bad on quotes from them. Expect to be lowballed though.

I would suggest finding a dealership that you can walk in and they can see your car to appreciate what your car looks like. To some it doesn't matter, to others it does. Geography is a major player as well.

Good luck and enjoy the new 5.0 if you're getting one. Worth the trouble to demod and trade IMO.:thumb:

Yeah I have considered that too. Actually I am looking at a low mile Whippled cobra. I want something that's ready for some big power lol Reality finally hit with my 08 and I realized I'd end up spending an ungodly amount of money (more than I already have) to get it ready for the power I want. So I'm selling everything on this damn thing lol

CarMax can suck it. Back in 2008, they offered only 12K for mine even though I owed 20K still. The car looked brand new and had like 30K miles. KBB said the car was worth at least 20K.

Well that's what I was thinking. I got offered 16k in 2009 with 11k miles lol I didn't know if they had changed something or what. I just had a friend say they were advertising that they would pay blue book. Maybe they meant they would sell it for blue book lol

Last edited by a moderator:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Yeah I have considered that too. Actually I am looking at a low mile Whippled cobra. I want something that's ready for some big power lol Reality finally hit with my 08 and I realized I'd end up spending an ungodly amount of money (more than I already have) to get it ready for the power I want. So I'm selling everything on this damn thing lol

Yep, reality.....

What year Cobra???

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
My 07 premium returned to stock with 48k on the clock was worth $14k to them (carmax),if that helps. I decided to take it to ford and trade her as is and got $18k.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
My 07 premium returned to stock with 48k on the clock was worth $14k to them (carmax),if that helps. I decided to take it to ford and trade her as is and got $18k.

I got ganked!!!! My '07 only had 19k on the clock and I only got $18k for it!!! Then they had the nerve to call me and ask why one of the tires was different than the others. Needless to say he got an earful!!:mad2:

JCH2008GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, reality.....

What year Cobra???

It's a black 2003 10th anniversary with 29k miles. It is about as clean as you will find one. Already has a whipple and a ton of supporting mods. All it needs is some long tubes :rock:

Yeah I won't even waste my time then. Will Ford buy or only trade?

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
I got ganked!!!! My '07 only had 19k on the clock and I only got $18k for it!!! Then they had the nerve to call me and ask why one of the tires was different than the others. Needless to say he got an earful!!:mad2:

Sucks....every dealer plays the game different. I just told them I didn't need to buy or sell that I was in no rush but if they made me a good offer that I liked it was possible that I would leave with the 5.0

After 4 offers they just asked what I would take for my car and I said,"Bottom dollar was my private sale cash price,$18k" they broke and gave it to me.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
It's a black 2003 10th anniversary with 29k miles. It is about as clean as you will find one. Already has a whipple and a ton of supporting mods. All it needs is some long tubes :rock:

Honestly I'd keep what you have before I'd go backwards. The interior alone on the s197's would prevent me from going back and I currently own a '98 SN95, a 2003 New Edge, and my 2013.

I could have gotten a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Mystichrome Cobra with 4k miles on it but I just couldn't bring myself to giving up the creature comforts of the s197's. Go new 5.0 or keep what you have IMO.

Good luck eitherway and I hope I didn't offend.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score

Yeah I won't even waste my time then. Will Ford buy or only trade?

I don't think they will just buy from the public but you can always ask.....you never know. Is it paid off?

JCH2008GT

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I'd keep what you have before I'd go backwards. The interior alone on the s197's would prevent me from going back and I currently own a '98 SN95, a 2003 New Edge, and my 2013.

I could have gotten a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Mystichrome Cobra with 4k miles on it but I just couldn't bring myself to giving up the creature comforts of the s197's. Go new 5.0 or keep what you have IMO.

Good luck eitherway and I hope I didn't offend.

Not offended at all man! I understand what you are saying completely. While I do enjoy the interior of mine, the sound and built motor of a cobra completely wins me over lol I have never heard another car that I personally thought sounded better than a Terminator with Borla exhaust. It's sex to my ears lol I wouldn't mind getting an 07-09 GT500 but they are still in the 30s. Im in college so Im doing what I can at this point. Trying to go to school and have a toy lol It would take a lot of money to buy a new car and mod it the way I want :mad2: I love the new 5.0s though for sure!

I don't think they will just buy from the public but you can always ask.....you never know. Is it paid off?

Yeah it is paid off. Maybe they'd make me an offer with title in hand?

keith88lx

forum member
Reaction score
We sold my wifes 2008 Mustang V6 Pony Package with 30k miles to Carmax in Sept. 2010. They only gave us $13.5k which we were ok with only because we owed $2500 left and we needed money for our wedding. The left over money helped pay for our wedding, so it was worth it to us at the time.

Now, I'm tempted to see what they will give my 2006 GT vert. Only problem is, I don't want to turn it back to stock for them to give me an obvious low ball. Go in with mods, and I know they will deduct from the total regardless of how much you spent on wheels.

They also once told me, they pay for what their research shows from local car auctions. Nothing related to KBB or NADA.

The sell of the 2008 Mustang V6 was close to what KBB showed valued at fair condition trade in. So, I assumed most offers would be close to that number from Carmax.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I will never take a car to Carmax.. tried taking my dad's SUV there. Kelly's Blue Book said it was worth $6800 for trade-in, they offered us $4100. A friend took his car there and was offered 2/3 of the trade in value as well... BS if you ask me. Put it out on Autotrader or take it to the Ford dealer, they will screw you on the trade-in as well but they will at least use some lube...

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
private sell or ford dealership.j.m.o. no to carmax or just go and get a quote, cant hurt anything.

Agent007

forum member
Reaction score
I took my car to a dealership offering to buy cars outright at 'Kelley Blue Book' trade in value.... the owner drove my car, went inside for 15 mins and came back out with a print out from KBB. This was a print out of the exace page I had looked up the value of my car earlier in the day... this excited me because it stated that my car was worth about what I wanted in the condition it was in, Excellent. The owner proceeded to tell me that my car was worth the lowest amount listed, $3500 less than what I was willing to take, due to the fact that it got poor gas mileage. I told him to Fuck Off!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back