Is pinion angle adjusted with solid motor mounts?

UrS4

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the spydershaft DS but I am at stock ride height. So I figured my pinion angle hasn't changed, plus I have no vibrations.

Question is, if I go with those bullet motor mounts that drop the engine .25 inches, will this affect my pinion angle? Will I need adj LCA or UCA at the same time?

Thanks,

UrS4

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are those the Prothane mounts? If so, they didn't change my tranny flange angle at all. Stayed right at -4*.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the spydershaft DS but I am at stock ride height. So I figured my pinion angle hasn't changed, plus I have no vibrations.

Question is, if I go with those bullet motor mounts that drop the engine .25 inches, will this affect my pinion angle? Will I need adj LCA or UCA at the same time?

Thanks,

UrS4
Actually it won't change the pinion angle but it will change the driveshaft angle. I wouldn't worry about it though cause dropping the engine 1/4" won't make a huge change at the back of the transmission.
you should be fine.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Aren't they all related? What effects any one part will effect the others.
The issue is that while we talk about -2 -> -3 pinion angles on the S197 - the real issue is "equal and opposite" on the front and rear joints. If the geometry is changed significantly (rear lowered, trans moved, engine moved, etc...), then ideally you would remeasure the angle of the front joint and make sure that the rear joint was the equal and opposite to the front to minimize bind/flex (and thus vibration and wear/failure) on the joint.

Dropping the engine does indeed raise up the rear of the trans a little. Enough to care? Not really unless you have vibration and then you care:samuri:
You might also care if you are trying to fine tune your launch - but at that point you need lots of adjustable parts anyway - so you already care...

matt texass

Reaction score
anything special with how these mounts would affect auto trans

UrS4

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone running those prothane mounts? Those are the ones I have been looking at.

Otherwise, what others are out there?

Thanks,

UrS4

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The issue is that while we talk about -2 -> -3 pinion angles on the S197 - the real issue is "equal and opposite" on the front and rear joints. If the geometry is changed significantly (rear lowered, trans moved, engine moved, etc...), then ideally you would remeasure the angle of the front joint and make sure that the rear joint was the equal and opposite to the front to minimize bind/flex (and thus vibration and wear/failure) on the joint.

Dropping the engine does indeed raise up the rear of the trans a little. Enough to care? Not really unless you have vibration and then you care:samuri:
You might also care if you are trying to fine tune your launch - but at that point you need lots of adjustable parts anyway - so you already care...

Well then...Thanks for caring. :samuri:

spyder7724

Reaction score
Anyone running those prothane mounts? Those are the ones I have been looking at.

Otherwise, what others are out there?

Thanks,

UrS4
I've got the prthane mounts but don't know if they were shorter than stock. i think steeda makes some also but much more expensive although they come with two different durometer(?) inserts to tailor the desired amount of engine vibes transmitted into the chassis.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had prothane mounts put in my car and they actually raised the motor about a 1/2 inch. The stock mounts after a couple of years "mush" out!

UrS4

forum member
Reaction score
Any NVH increase with these types of motor mounts?

Any improvements in less missed shifts?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any NVH increase with these types of motor mounts?
Yes - but I'd call it an improvement. It is not "harsh", its just feels like there is actually an engine in there...

The only time you notice it is turning over to start and the first few minutes of "open loop" operation where the engine is not as smooth as it will be once warm...

Any improvements in less missed shifts?
Definitely...

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do the motor mounts and the K-member brace with torque limiters. Big improvement in shifting.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back