JPC whipple inlet results and comments.

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
JPC Inlet

I have been working on a JPC "Monster" inlet also and now that I have it mocked up I thought I would tag along with Lito and add a review.

I originally ordered the "Monster" setup after talking with Tommy at JPC on the phone in the first week of September. After waiting for a few weeks and the prodcut not arriving I again contacted Tommy and found out they were having problems with the clearance between the blower (as Lito mentioned). Tommy offered to send me one of the incorrect pieces but my response was thanks but no thanks. After a couple more weeks I did finally receive my first elbow, intake tube, throttle body and hardware.

I immediately noticed many of the same problems Lito mentioned. The three vacuum ports on the side of the elbow were extremely tight not to mention my fittings off my old Whipple elbow are all 1/4 NPT. The threads on the JPC elbow were not 1/4 NPT (not sure if Whipple changed things at some point in time but I have a Gen I blower). Also the bolt holes for the throttle body were tapped for an 8 MM bolt but the hole diameter in the throttle body is a 6 MM. Not about to drill out a prefectly good throttle body and I did not want to use an 8 MM to 6 MM since I already had stainless socket head cap screws.

So I contacted Justin and Tommy to discuss the issues I was having. The guys were very apologetic and good to work with. From what I was told, it appeared they were pressuring their source to get the parts manufactured correctly. Since the elbow was being remade from scratch, I had a special request regarding the powder coating which they took care off and did everything they could to make sure I was a happy customer.

After another couple weeks I finally received the elbow which will now be on the car. Everything looked good but I still had to retap the vacuum port threads. Install was very straight forward for me since the blower was off the car. I did a little trial and error to see how I was going to bolt the elbow to the compressor and it seemed like the bolts did not want to line up. I ended up using threaded rod as a stud to guide the elbow onto the compressor. It slid right over the studs which were only finger tight and then removed for the socket head cap screws.

In preparation for the supercharger/"Monster" elbow I pulled my engine mounts and 908ssp machined them down 1/2". I also cut the upper lip of the fire wall back. It all dropped right in no problems. It is sitting in the intake manifold but is not bolted down just yet. Then test fit the intake tube and that was a wrestiling match even with the supercahrger able to move around a little...might end up having to shave 1/2" off the big end of it or slide the silicone over it first but Ill just wait and see.

I have to finish up the fuel system, mount the new expansion tank, make my lines and wire in the water pump for the intercooler before I can get the car off to the dyno to see what the results will be.

Attachments

• bolt alignment.jpg
    bolt alignment.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 70
  • comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Intake tube heat shield.jpg
    Intake tube heat shield.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 79
  • mock up.jpg
    mock up.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 81
  • mountingstuds.jpg
    mountingstuds.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 72
  • TB clearance.jpg
    TB clearance.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Would be nice to see an attempt of a redesign. Not saying its not bad, but just a little changes. Maybe from an another source. I like to see the throttle body side of the elbow angled like the GT500's elbow to allow GT500 CAIs, but mostly to give the TPS some room. Whipple's stock elbow puts the TPS less than an inch from the hot compressor housing. I'm sure its ok, but it seems more sound and versatile with the rest of the aftermarket.

I could be wrong, but I thought harder turns in the air flow could a restriction or slow velocity of the air. I would think going from the JPC and whipple 90 degree and another 90 degree turns to a 45-60 degree and 90 degree turns would be an improvement.

But I'm sure everyone has a wish list and weird ideas.

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
Since running into issue with my Livernois stage 3 cylinder heads this install has taken much longer than anticipated but it is finally all under the hood and bolted down.

Attachments

• heat insulation.jpg
    heat insulation.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
Special consideration was asked because we were overseas on checking everything "was complete and right" in two different emails, we can't ship stuff back, there was only one time to make things right and this one failed.

Screwed? many more times than I wished for, wrong parts shipped, not properly packed, defective stuff. And at the end I had to suck it because I am were I am.
It sucks to live overseas huh? (Plus country taxes!) I understand your feelings....
Damn, that's a nice build, so sad that monster had a PTV contact.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
It sucks to live overseas huh? (Plus country taxes!) I understand your feelings....
Damn, that's a nice build, so sad that monster had a PTV contact.

Holy thread revival!! Lol

EDIT: Disregard, I see Lito tagged it in another thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back