Kidd's official Turbo build thread (Jennifer gets BOOST)

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this Sam, maybe it's a sign to go bigger next time lol. All joking aside, I wish ya the best of luck in whatever route you choose to go next.
LOL thanks Jason, I was actually on my way home to text you to put me down for the track rental
when it happened lol

see my build thread. I did about as inexpensive of a build you can do.
Thanks man I will definitely start looking it over, looks like an awesome price you built yours for!

Sorry to see this happened man. I out off installing my turbo for this reason. I knew i would get retarded with it and shoot a rod through the block so i built a forged motor first.. If your planning on building a forged motor or are just going to look for a shortblock i have a good stock one for sale. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks man. Probably a smart decision on your part to build the motor first, I knew it was risky on the stock motor and I was ok with the risk.
I may pm you about your SB when I decide what route to go.

GTGHOST had a pretty nice shortblock for sale.
TOO RICH for my blood! LOL

You could always use the boss rods. They are about $200
I will keep that in mind Bobby, thanks.

Hate to see this Sam. I'd take my time on it and take the winter to work on it and make one hell of a ride
Thanks Brad, I definitely don't plan on rushing it.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody know if theres a thread on what power the our 3650 trans will hold and what it would take to build it told hold big power?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
They are only rated for like 550 but there are plenty of people who have run them with higher horsepower for long periods of time. The weak point is the 10 spline input shaft but they are like $400 by themselves. I would rather just buy a low mile trans for $500 if mine messes up.

MindIfISmoke?

Wrecking Crew
Reaction score
Anybody know if theres a thread on what power the our 3650 trans will hold and what it would take to build it told hold big power?

I made 700 thru my stock 3650 I think fuel did as well. I'm not sure on a thread. Put an auto in it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
They are only rated for like 550 but there are plenty of people who have run them with higher horsepower for long periods of time. The weak point is the 10 spline input shaft but they are like $400 by themselves. I would rather just buy a low mile trans for $500 if mine messes up.

Thanks RJ, thats good info.

I made 700 thru my stock 3650 I think fuel did as well. I'm not sure on a thread. Put an auto in it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Matt, don't think I haven't considered an auto. I'd love for the wife to be able to drive some too when we go on trips lol
Would you say that for street use and the occasional drag strip track day that this trans would hold up at up to 700 hp?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I ran mine with 700hp for about 700miles and it is very hard to get into third already with any kind of spirited driving.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Sorry about your troubles Sam, I beat the crap out of my 5spd and it had about 70k miles 30k turbo miles and was still in great shape. My advice from my tuner was to spend the cash on my current Magnum when the deal came up to get it. He said even if you got a built 3650, it still wasn't going to be as capable as the Magnum. You may want to look for a 6060 swap as Magnums are a lot harder to come by. Just my 2c. Is there any chance you can take some close ups of your coolant setup with everything in the car. I am having a hard time with my 06 style octopus setup and I see you have the 07+. I think the plate that bolts to the side of the engine is a little different for me.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
I ran mine with 700hp for about 700miles and it is very hard to get into third already with any kind of spirited driving.

I destroyed mine with 470rwhp. 3rd gear was in pieces.

Thanks guys, not what I wanted to here but reality is just that lol

Sorry about your troubles Sam, I beat the crap out of my 5spd and it had about 70k miles 30k turbo miles and was still in great shape. My advice from my tuner was to spend the cash on my current Magnum when the deal came up to get it. He said even if you got a built 3650, it still wasn't going to be as capable as the Magnum. You may want to look for a 6060 swap as Magnums are a lot harder to come by. Just my 2c. Is there any chance you can take some close ups of your coolant setup with everything in the car. I am having a hard time with my 06 style octopus setup and I see you have the 07+. I think the plate that bolts to the side of the engine is a little different for me.

Thanks Jason, looks like I may be keeping the power down for a few years until I can afford a trans swap.
I will try to get you some pics asap. Exactly what are area are you looking at so I can get the best pic to help you?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, not what I wanted to here but reality is just that lol

Thanks Jason, looks like I may be keeping the power down for a few years until I can afford a trans swap.
I will try to get you some pics asap. Exactly what are area are you looking at so I can get the best pic to help you?

Prices aren't bad and they sell parts also. I almost went this way before my knee's said 4R70 please.

http://pro-forceperformance.com/

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Well Sam, my thermostat octo housing sits down close to the power steering and the lower radiator hose runs up right near it and is a pain to route under the lower coupler that bolts onto the turbo. So just trying to get an idea what yours looks like in that region. just below the filter.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Prices aren't bad and they sell parts also. I almost went this way before my knee's said 4R70 please.

http://pro-forceperformance.com/

Thanks weatherman I'll check them out.

Well Sam, my thermostat octo housing sits down close to the power steering and the lower radiator hose runs up right near it and is a pain to route under the lower coupler that bolts onto the turbo. So just trying to get an idea what yours looks like in that region. just below the filter.

Here are a few quick pics Jason. I'll try to dig up a picture of the metal coolant T that goes where the 05-06 thermostat would of went (I think)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383798012226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383798012226.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 21
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383798026840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383798026840.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 20
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383798039270.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383798039270.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 22

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Have you had any issues with your setup? I've had to replace the hose once and play around with it a bunch of times to get it from tearing up the new hose. I've actually had a guard built because I can't keep the hose from the lower radiator away from the power steering pulley.

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
No I never had any issues Jason. Did yours come with the metal T for those lower hoses?

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Naw the only thing for mine, was the block off plate for the side of the block where coolant and oil comes out, and then I had to cut a hose or two to make it shorter. I think that is it. Been a few years.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Well, guess what....I purchased this one for 2k and 1.1k to do the swap of my old trans into his car and his trans into my car so he could trade it in. Good deal ehhh????

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back