Lack of Oil in Seperator

pachary

Reaction score
OK,

I read about people going to the Stef's oil catch can to deal with the massive amount of blow-by caught in a smaller accumulator. Well the litlle bitty unit that came with my KenneBell kit has done just fine. In fact over 6 months and 4-6 thousand miles, I have only gotten about 1 tablespoon. I am only running 8lbs of boost.

Question is, is my engine that much better off (tighter) than all these others? Or is it maybe even too tight.

Should I be happy or worried?
Yes it does work and is installed properly.

Thanks
Paul

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Paul, no need to worry. there are several of us forced induction Stangs that don't get the massive amounts of oil that most others get. I had my turbo for almost a year, 9lbs of boost and for a while I tought there was something wrong with mine since like you I get a very small amount of oil in the accumulator. So far my car is running perfect.

G.T

Reaction score
Which side PCV is your separator connected to?

back when she was NA, i used to have oil coming out of the passenger side breather with the driver side PCV being bone dry.
now with the whipple, it's the total opposite.
passenger side is always dry.. driver side spews up enough oil to fill up the little steeda separator once a week!

pachary

Reaction score
GT,

Seperator is on the driver's side. My understanding is that it is only recommended or needed on that side. Is there a good reason to put one on the passenger side also???

Thanks
Paul

G.T

Reaction score
well check the passenger side PCV and see if there's oil in it, then it's a good idea to put a separator there :)

i only got my separator recently and i installed it on the driver side PCV cuz that's where it's messy on my car.
used to have oil in the passenger side PCV which kept screwing with my throttle body.. not anymore though
i haven't seen any oil in that hose since i got the SC

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well check the passenger side PCV and see if there's oil in it, then it's a good idea to put a separator there :)

i only got my separator recently and i installed it on the driver side PCV cuz that's where it's messy on my car.
used to have oil in the passenger side PCV which kept screwing with my throttle body.. not anymore though
i haven't seen any oil in that hose since i got the SC

Ok, I was about to post a question regarding how to properly clean the TB...have you done this? Did you take it off to clean? I bought some TB cleaner that will not harm the clear-coat varnish Ford put on the inside of the TB...

Paul,

I'd say count yourself lucky. My engine's basically stock (C&L & xCal2 w/custom tune), and the Steeda AOS would get 9 ml (2 teaspoons) every 600 miles, so I went with the Moroso setup (basically the same cab as the Stefs) and I'm now at 1400 miles and I haven't looked in it/drained it yet because of the additional capacity it has, but I'm sure its going to be 20 ml or so...I'm hoping I can go 3000 or even 4000 before emptying it, but I don't know the max operating capacity of the can.

Anyway you're good, rejoice, do backflips, whatever; you have little blow-by!

pachary

Reaction score
Mr. Clean,

I guess I was really wondering if there is such a thing as too little blow-by. If the tolerences were too tight.

Paul

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mr. Clean,

I guess I was really wondering if there is such a thing as too little blow-by. If the tolerences were too tight.

Paul
Hmm, valid question, I guess. I don't know if there's a negative to higher tolerances....maybe you could check the compression at each cylineder and compare to other engines....How does your engine's hp and tq compare to other engines/cars with similar mods?

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Every car is different, even with similar mods. Consider yourself lucky if you aren't getting a lot of blowby. I would be more worried if you're filling up our kit in a week's time.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With my set up I have both the driver and passenger going to the separator. For a while I had the driver side only with a filter on the passenger side but the cam cover on the passenger side was getting real messy with oil residue so I hooked the passenger side back to the accumulator.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with a power adder, there is no need for anything on the passenger side of the engine. it has already been tested to be a complete vacuum even under boost, so there will never be any oil on that side.

G.T

Reaction score
Ok, I was about to post a question regarding how to properly clean the TB...have you done this? Did you take it off to clean? I bought some TB cleaner that will not harm the clear-coat varnish Ford put on the inside of the TB...

i just did it today for the 3rd time in my car's life.
my car was doing alright till i reflashed my tune to adjust the high speed fan temp trigger yesterday.
as always i let it idle for a couple minutes after the first start, then i switch the AC and let idle for a couple more minutes, then drive it around to complete the IAC trim learning.

when i went for a spin i noticed my RPM dipping below 500 whenever i shifted to neutral.. then takes a second or two to level up at 740RPM.

so today once i got a chance (removing the air intake on the whipple is a pain in the ass) i removed the throttle body (2x8mm bolts on top, 2x10mm nuts on the bottom) and cleaned it up with a toothbrush and WD40

you don't really need the toothbrush either, just spray WD40 and watch the black gunk wash away.

furthermore, i usually take the TB motor off, so i can easily clean around the butterfly blades without them shutting back on their own.

reassemble the motor (making sure the spring is preloaded the way it should) wipe everything clean and bolt it back on.

i disconnected the battery to flush the idle trims.. did the same ritual explained above..
solid 740RPM :)

i've only had my oil separator for 2 weeks now, so i hope this is the last time i clean my TB

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i've only had my oil separator for 2 weeks now, so i hope this is the last time i clean my TB

it wont be the last time but it sure extends the time period lol.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Mine seemed to suck a lot of oil for awhile then it tapered off to around 3/4 of a tablespoon every 250-300 miles. It has even decreased from that a bit.
My TB is clean as clean. It still separates just not at the rate it was in the beginning. Perhaps the engine has broken in better since then and blowby decreased.
18k NA motor with Intake and tune.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with a power adder, there is no need for anything on the passenger side of the engine. it has already been tested to be a complete vacuum even under boost, so there will never be any oil on that side.

Not a complete vacuum, but I'm not going to get into it. Based on my "personal experience" oil does come out in the passenger side. Not in huge amounts but enough to make a mess out of the cam cover and the filter I had installed.

mvon919

Everwaken
Reaction score
Brake clener won't harm the coating and it's safe for eveything... rubber etc. And basically cleans without wipe.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not a complete vacuum, but I'm not going to get into it. Based on my "personal experience" oil does come out in the passenger side. Not in huge amounts but enough to make a mess out of the cam cover and the filter I had installed.

i believe it was cali hp addict who tested it. pass side with a blower or pwoer adder was always vacuum for him. na might be different

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Emptied my Moroso tonight... A WORD OF WARNING! If you're removing the can to drain it, note that if the "in to can" hose is lowered below the can, and the can tilted, the oil WILL pour out of the hose...I have a mess on the garage floor to prove it! Anyway, 1500 miles, and it looks like 6-8 US teaspoons (3 US tablespoons)....can't be really accurate because of the spillage...crap! Have to wait until I drain it again. I'll measure again in 1500 miles. I estimate 2.63 ci/43.14 cc/8.75 US teaspoons or operating capacity for the Moroso...only because I assumed only ½' of depth before the oil can travel back along the "in fitting" and the "in-hose"....I've attached a pic of the little spreadsheet....(can't attach the spreadsheet). Comments on the calcs welcome.

Last edited:

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i believe it was cali hp addict who tested it. pass side with a blower or pwoer adder was always vacuum for him. na might be different
Yeah, that's why I installed the filter in the passenger side. Maybe is a complete vacuum under acceleration and even at idle, but what I'm thinking is that possibly when the engine shuts down there's an imbalance in pressure forcing oil out of the passenger side for a brief moment. Isn't there a one way valve in the passenger side like a pvc? BTW, my car has a Turbo.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back