Lethal Performance 2012 BOSS.. Toned down!

G.T

Reaction score
So i'm the proud new owner of Lethal Performance's 2012 BOSS!

Put simply, this car is a monster that put down a whopping 830+whp and ran a 10.31 1/4 mile.. but i run a performance shop out here in dubai (you can see some of my work here) and i just couldn't help but mess with it a bit :)

my intention was to tame it down a bit so it's slightly more street "friendly"

So for starters, i removed the decommissioned nitrous system which was installed and tried out first before they decided to go with the JT Trim Vortech that finally earned it a 10.31 run..

i got rid of all the PCV crap since i didn't like the one-way check valve going between the manifold and passenger side PCV port.. plus that's two less hoses to worry about :)

now that i had an unused port on the manifold, i rigged up a custom connection to a braided SS line that runs all the way to the trunk to feed the boost referenced JMS Fuel pump booster.

sure the roadrunner 5.0 is strong, but i don't intend on finding out just how strong it really is with 16 pounds of boost

and given how tight everything was, this meant i had to remove the supercharger unit to swap pulleys, so i decided to go all out.. removed all the pipes going to and from the SC and got everything powder coated wrinkle finish matte black.

i reinstalled everything, trimming here and there to try and tuck everything in as nicely as i could.. put back the Vortech intake tube along with the factory closed intake box drawing air from the grille (no point having a "cold air" intake, if all it's breathing is hot under-hood air!)
while at it, i even managed to install the belly pan (cover under the radiator) without cutting any holes in it (which is usually required for the vortech installation to clear the intercooler pipes)

Now anyone with a Vortech knows how annoying the coolant expansion tank location is.. it sits on top of the passenger side valve cover blocking access to spark plugs, has hoses running to it all the way from the driver side of the engine.. and if that's not bad enough, good luck checking or topping up your coolant if you have a factory equipped strut brace!

so i was on a mission to figure out a place for a new expansion tank.. i wanted a better overall look.. better access, or at least maybe a see-through tank, so i can check the coolant level without having to open it!
the best i could come up with, was to fit a small reservoir in the area left behind by the sound tube diaphragm box near the brake booster.
it's on the driver side too, meaning all the coolant reservoir hoses would be easier to route too.

here's the final engine bay look (before i put back the strut brace)

Finally.. i know some may disagree with messing with the way a BOSS looks, but i honestly never liked the C side stripes, the black hood decal, or the black rear factory spoiler.. so i got rid of all.
i got 2013 BOSS hockey stick side stripes for the fenders and doors.. and made a custom hood accent decal.

as for the spoiler, i got the Laguna Seca spoiler which is also equipped on the GT/CS.
i think it looks menacing, sounds and goes like a beast!

that's pretty much it!

my only issue now is cooling.. this car builds some insanely high under-hood temperatures and the coolant temps climb up quick if you beat on it really hard, then again it's 110F out here in Dubai nowadays.

i did make sure my new coolant tank mod isn't the culprit, put back the "stock" reservoir, and tried a bigger one..
it's better, but i still see 230+ degrees coolant and i wanna put an end to that.

maybe hood vents.. not sure yet

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
from everything I have read and seen hood vents or the tiger racing hood should help you. Granted I have no personal experience.

G.T

Reaction score
pretty sure the tiger racing hood will help dramatically.. but i really don't like the look :(

i wonder if a vent through the top section of the firewall would help vent through the cowl screen

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
so i was on a mission to figure out a place for a new expansion tank.. i wanted a better overall look.. better access, or at least maybe a see-through tank, so i can check the coolant level without having to open it!
the best i could come up with, was to fit a small reservoir in the area left behind by the sound tube diaphragm box near the brake booster.
it's on the driver side too, meaning all the coolant reservoir hoses would be easier to route too.

THIS is exactly what I would want to do with the Vortech or Paxton setup. I can't stand the look of it over the passenger side valve cover!!!!! Looks cheesy.

I like what you've done!!!!!!!

G.T

Reaction score
I'll be trying on the OE 2013 extractors to see if there's a way to have them.
My only issue with the 2013 hood is the location of the vents being so far back where the pressure is higher

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Love what you've done under the hood! Cleaned it up quite nicely!

Is there anything you can do HE and fan wise for the blower?

It would be pretty nice if you were to fab up modifications to the stock hood where you had a ram-air intake area mid-hood and extractors slightly forward of that. With your skills and shop, it should be fairly easy to do. That heat out there, I've spent a little time in the Middle East, is crazy as hell. Luckily, it's a dry heat. If it were a humid heat like here in Florida, you'd really be screwed temps wise.

Looking forward to your next installment!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score

Louis,

Can you provide pics and a little more detail on what you did here to make this look and function like it's supposed to? If I went Paxton, this is definitely a mod I would do because as I said, the default placement of the expansion tank sucks and craps up the engine bay.

Thanks

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good job Louie, cant wait to see what else you come up with for this car.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice, I really like how you cleaned up the engine bay. It looks a hell of a lot better.

A lot of the guys with the 2012's are going with the Boss 302S Grill and Tiger Racing Hood than they are adding a Setrab 34 row oil cooler and thermostat but IDK how well that would work for you considering you have the Paxton on there. From everything that I am understanding the stock oil cooler does a nice job at keep coolant temps low but does nothing for oil temps.

G.T

Reaction score
I like what you've done!!!!!!!
Nice ride!
nice looking machine!
Love what you've done under the hood! Cleaned it up quite nicely!
Very nice, I really like how you cleaned up the engine bay. It looks a hell of a lot better.

Thank you all!
i guess i'll be sharing more of my projects here from now on! :)

Is there anything you can do HE and fan wise for the blower?
It would be pretty nice if you were to fab up modifications to the stock hood where you had a ram-air intake area mid-hood and extractors slightly forward of that.

unfortunately it's pretty tight in there.. even the factory fan shroud had to be trimmed so everything fit
i'm looking at hood vents, particularly the 2013 factory vents... let's see how this goes.
i'm honestly wondering if there's a way to allow for some of the heat to escape through the cowl screen (where the wiper motors go)

THIS is exactly what I would want to do with the Vortech or Paxton setup. I can't stand the look of it over the passenger side valve cover!!!!! Looks cheesy.

Agreed... the Vortech/Paxton tank solution is absolutely horrible for SO many reasons
1. it looks fugly
2. it sits on top of the headers and simmers in their heat
3. it's black.. you can't see what your coolant looks like or check the level without opening the cap, meaning you have to wait for it to cool down.. and
4. it's strategically located under the strut brace, so you can't even open the cap if you wanted to
5. on Coyotes, it blocks the spark plug cover
i can go on!

Can you provide pics and a little more detail on what you did here to make this look and function like it's supposed to? If I went Paxton, this is definitely a mod I would do because as I said, the default placement of the expansion tank sucks and craps up the engine bay.

here you go sir :)
mind you, the black reservoir was way too small.. it worked well at first, but couldn't handle the heat :)
i'm trying to find a larger tank that would fit.. and if all else fails, then i might relocate the battery to the trunk and go wild :)

A lot of the guys with the 2012's are going with the Boss 302S Grill and Tiger Racing Hood than they are adding a Setrab 34 row oil cooler and thermostat but IDK how well that would work for you considering you have the Paxton on there. From everything that I am understanding the stock oil cooler does a nice job at keep coolant temps low but does nothing for oil temps.

yeah the 302S grille will allow more air in through the foglight location.
tiger racing hood will definitely be the ultimate solution, but i really don't like the look :S

now although the BOSS 302 already has an oil cooler, a remote mount cooler with a heat exchanger would be more ideal especially since the JT Trim Vortech has an oil feed line from the engine (but again, there's no room for another heat exchanger in there!)

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
and if all else fails, then i might relocate the battery to the trunk and go wild :)

I think this is gonna be the ticket!!!!!:thumb:

I like what youve done with the car and glad you ended up with it!

thanks for all you do in helping in the forum!!!:beer:

G.T

Reaction score
i have a buddy of mine with a high end 3D Scanner, and a 2014 GT at the shop for a supercharger and a full cortex suspension setup :)
i removed the OE vents from the 2014 hood, and had them scanned.. he's in the process of making a clean CAD trace that we'll CNC machine to make a mold that can be used to press a recess in the hood allowing the OE vents to fit in.

i've traced them on the 2012 hood, and they line up amazingly well!
only issue is that they're not in the low pressure area of the hood, so they'll just allow the rising hot air to vent out, but won't really work like heat extractors

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Louie will the plates be for sale when you are finished doing your hood?

G.T

Reaction score
i'd be more than happy to share the progress.. but i still need to figure out how to actually stamp the plates on once ready..

the way i see this working is that i cut a rectangle that's about 90% the overall size of the final cut, there should be a plate (with two threaded holes) below the hood, sat against the bottom support panels.
the stamp plate is positioned on top, with two studs/screws in, which will be tightened against the bottom support plate till they create the recess needed.

now this whole stamping deal may be an overkill, as i have a brand new unpainted vent here, and the edges are tapered down.. i really don't think they'd look bad if they just sat on top of the hood.
i'll try to have them flush first.. let me be the guinea pig :)

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
yeah the 302S grille will allow more air in through the foglight location.
tiger racing hood will definitely be the ultimate solution, but i really don't like the look :S

now although the BOSS 302 already has an oil cooler, a remote mount cooler with a heat exchanger would be more ideal especially since the JT Trim Vortech has an oil feed line from the engine (but again, there's no room for another heat exchanger in there!)

Is there any room of to the side of the tubing? I have seen people place smaller oil coolers along the side of the car like where the brake ducts for the Laguna Seca would run and it allows you room for the heat exchanger. Maybe I will get lucky and find a picture so you have an idea of what I am talking about.

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
The cowl is high pressure. Opening the firewall into the cowl would let air in not vent out.

G.T

Reaction score
Is there any room of to the side of the tubing? I have seen people place smaller oil coolers along the side of the car like where the brake ducts for the Laguna Seca would run and it allows you room for the heat exchanger. Maybe I will get lucky and find a picture so you have an idea of what I am talking about.

I thought of that, and I popped off the two trim pieces (where the brake ducts go, and where the GTCS has fog lights)... there's a bit of room on the driver side, but the passenger side is totally blocked with the main inlet pipe going to the intercooler and the wiper washer tank

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
Nice work Louie, one Q, why didnt you go Air to Air? Water cooling dont work very good here in Dubai

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back