Looking for Auto Shifter

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a place to get an automatic shifter that looks stock or close to. I'm going from a T3650 to a 4r70w and I'm looking for something that won't give anything away. I need to find something in the next two weeks for the Dec 15th install date.

Sam

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
I just sent an email over to TCI about their SEMA shifter. I'll give them a call in the morning to see if it's available now and works with a 4r70w.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Forget giving anything way. If you don't get the B&M ratchet shifter with that 4r70 you will regret it - I promise you. + with a nice little shift boot it doesn't look bad. Click the 'MY CAR' link in my sig and there are some pics. Each time you choose a different vid, different pics show up at the bottom to look at. Double click them and they show bigger.

The ratchet is the way to go for the 4r70, ESPECIALLY if it's a manual - you'll want that ratchet action sure enough.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Forget giving anything way. If you don't get the B&M ratchet shifter with that 4r70 you will regret it - I promise you. + with a nice little shift boot it doesn't look bad. Click the 'MY CAR' link in my sig and there are some pics. Each time you choose a different vid, different pics show up at the bottom to look at. Double click them and they show bigger.

The ratchet is the way to go for the 4r70, ESPECIALLY if it's a manual - you'll want that ratchet action sure enough.

What he said. And most stick guys have no clue what the stock auto shifter looks/feels like anyways.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
The TCI shifter won't be out until January at the earliest. I highly doubt it will work with the 4R70W as the 5R has 4 detents for forward gears where the 4R70W has 3 forward gear detents.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

Thats a good lookin' shifter. I love Hurst/B&M. Best shifters I've used.

Is that the Pro-Matic or the 1/4 Stick?

GI Joe

Reaction score
The TCI shifter won't be out until January at the earliest. I highly doubt it will work with the 4R70W as the 5R has 4 detents for forward gears where the 4R70W has 3 forward gear detents.

you are right..SPRING time actually according to Stanley and no it wont fit the 4r70

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
shifter

Ditto,it looks stock,except for the reverse lockout lever,just tell them its for future chute release.

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score

I haven't seen a pic of that thing installed in a car, it does look nice. Plus the ratchet will let me say "what its still the old shifter i just lowered the boot" I'm sorry to say chevy but your website kept crashing my browser so I could only see the pictures from the first 4 videos. However I was leaning towards a full auto so my girl can drive it without me having a heart attack everytime (plus I suck at stick). I'm pretty sure JDM already ordered everything from Lentech yesterday.

Would the ratchet be useless then since it will be a full auto and not an auto with a manual valve body?

EDIT: I went back over your webpage chevy and it's the last three video clips that have something in it that crash IE and firefox.

Last edited:

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score

Damn, I was thinking about that shifter last night. But it's good to learn new things, I didn't see the term detents anywhere when I was looking up tranny info. So would that control be reflected in the shifter or would it be like the BMRacing ratchet one where it shows you which hole in the handle to use if you have a 3 or 4 speed. I kind of wanted to hear a similar kind of install for that shifter.

But I'd rather hear it doesn't work then yes it works but comes out a week after my install date. I don't want to go through the 'let me try different shifter' phase again with an auto that I had with the manual.

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
I just saw the B&M ratchet in Paul's car (against) and it looked sick. He has it setup just like you Chevy. I'm sold on that baby but I just hope it doesn't fall apart like their manual shifter did on me last year.

Anyone know who has the best price on it before I go digging?

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Damn, I was thinking about that shifter last night. But it's good to learn new things, I didn't see the term detents anywhere when I was looking up tranny info. So would that control be reflected in the shifter or would it be like the BMRacing ratchet one where it shows you which hole in the handle to use if you have a 3 or 4 speed. I kind of wanted to hear a similar kind of install for that shifter.

But I'd rather hear it doesn't work then yes it works but comes out a week after my install date. I don't want to go through the 'let me try different shifter' phase again with an auto that I had with the manual.
Detents indicates how many positions the shifter has, for forward gears a 4R70 has 3, for a 5R55 there are 4 (the number of non-OD gears each has) on both of these transmissions each gear can be individually selected so there is a detent for each. While OD is electronic on both and why both have switches from the factory to turn OD off when in D.

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
Detents indicates how many positions the shifter has, for forward gears a 4R70 has 3, for a 5R55 there are 4 (the number of non-OD gears each has) on both of these transmissions each gear can be individually selected so there is a detent for each. While OD is electronic on both and why both have switches from the factory to turn OD off when in D.

Thanx for the info Kevin.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Sam, sorry about the phone call earlier. AT&T service sucks so I kept dropping your call. Ill give you a call from work tomorrow. Im glad you liked it. It does look good. He did a good job with it.

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
Dont cut your boot for the reverse lockout lever. It works just fine under the boot. Looks more like a manual trans too!!

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trans swap

Randy, hows the tranny coming?
Time to update your sig!

Hey Paul,car is in storage,i am waiting to get a re clocked tensioner from Peter.The only problem not resolved yet is my cruise control does not work in OD,Len emailed me last night & said they are working on it with SCT.
How is your trans coming,the last time i talked to Len you were shipping it to Watertown NY,from there he was going to have it picked up.I hope it work out ok for ya,it would be a blast to race heads up someday eh.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul,car is in storage,i am waiting to get a re clocked tensioner from Peter.The only problem not resolved yet is my cruise control does not work in OD,Len emailed me last night & said they are working on it with SCT.
How is your trans coming,the last time i talked to Len you were shipping it to Watertown NY,from there he was going to have it picked up.I hope it work out ok for ya,it would be a blast to race heads up someday eh.
I should have the trans back by early next week. Running that same day.
I plan to be running in the 10s when the track reopens. Our local track is open till Dec 16th. I should have one more track event in. Ill post the results.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trans swap

I should have the trans back by early next week. Running that same day.
I plan to be running in the 10s when the track reopens. Our local track is open till Dec 16th. I should have one more track event in. Ill post the results.

Really,what else are you doing?? All are tracks are closed now.It is snowcross season now.What rims & tires are you using?? i got to get me some.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back