Looking for real world experience with turbo's 2013 GT 5.0

Tazzerblue

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add, Turbo or Turbo's to my ride. 2013 GT 5.0 convertible. Nothing super High HP. maybe in the 650+ range. It has to be drivable. We like to take it on vacations. I've looked at a few of the options. Hellion, OP3. I know nothing about either. Or any others out there. I can install it myself, But not sure If I'll need to update transmission, drive shaft, rear end ratio or exhaust, ect. Not excited about spending 8k on it, but need some direction. Why Turbo's? I'm hooked on the sound. I farm for a living and always Loved the Super Stock tractor pulls.. What have you done? Likes/dislikes?
Thanks.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What transmission do you have? As for updating the peripheral items, it really depends on how you are going to use the car. If you are just building a cruiser, a stock MT82 might be fine but if you are going to race it or rip a bunch of powershifts, the clutch and transmission won't last long.

A general rule, and one that I have found to be true is that you will spend more time under the hood of a turbo car than a supercharged one. There are a few subsystems with turbos that do require more attention (boost controller, oil lines, more clamps and couplers, clearance from plumbing, heat management, etc...)

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I agree with RED09GT.

IMO a twin screw supercharger is much for fun on the street than a turbo, when my car was a street car loved the twin screw

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A general rule, and one that I have found to be true is that you will spend more time under the hood of a turbo car than a supercharged one. There are a few subsystems with turbos that do require more attention (boost controller, oil lines, more clamps and couplers, clearance from plumbing, heat management, etc...)

I had a modded turbo car a long time ago (not a Mustang). This is 100% correct. I was always tinkering with shit under the hood. Honestly, that is a big reason my Mustang's engine is mostly stock.

But turbos do make awfully cool noises.

Back